Is "RestoMod" allowed or even tollerated here?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Is "RestoMod" allowed or even tollerated here?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 16:46 Quote
I have been sharing the "RestoMod" build of my old (Mid '90's) GT Zaskar Mnt. Bike on my pinkbike page https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12776760/> that I originally purchased around 1996. I have dragged the frame around all these 20-ish years. Recently my "modern" Mnt. bike (Jamis Parker ll) was stolen, so I decided to drag out the old frame and build it up if nothing else, to trail ride and help rehab my recently operated on right knee. Plus I thought it would be cool to show people that you do not have to run out and get the latest designed/built bike to have some fun!

This frame has sat unused for a long time as I originally bought the Zaskar as a complete bike with the intent to then buy a GT Team LTS frame and use the XT/XTR groupo and Judy SL fork from this bike. You can see the GT-LTS bike (which I still have) in my photo archive https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12665885/>.

I recently purchased a complete GT Avalanche (for $80.00 USD) to get a start on the project. I originally wanted to keep the vintage vibe, but I do want to use the bike for Cross Country and trail use, not just have a museum piece, hence buying a complete old bike. Unfortunately, The Shimano Deore crankset were ovalized so, they could not be used. That shifted the project to a "RestoMod" build at this point. I case you haven't heard, "RestoMod" is an acronym Restored/Modified and used in the motorcycle and automotive arenas'. I decided to use a Race Face Atlas crankset and BB (that ironically was purchased for the bike that was stolen but not installed before such time). I like the modern platform style pedals so that was going to be added no matter what. One of the OEM Shimano shifters was broken, so I am going with a set of SHIMANO ST-EF51 Integrated Brake Lever Bike Shifter Combo (3 x 7). The Seat post from the Avalanche, didn't fit the Zaskar frame, so I shopped EBay for a new unit. I figured that I might as well go with a modern clamp configuration. The Seat was torn (and not a stock GT seat), so It was replaced with a modern gel saddle. I had bars leftover from an upgrade (again to from the bike that was stolen) so I bought a new stem that would fit and Carbon Fibre stem spacers that I got cheap off of EBay. The Mavic wheels, Shimano hubs & derailleurs', Avid Brakes are all "Period Correct" and off of the Avalanche.

I purchased Rock Shox JUDY SL forks off of Hippie-Tech here on Pinkbike. They are period correct and NOS with the OEM red paint and stickers, so I decided to keep them as I got them. This prompted me to add some "bling" in the form of some red accents, featured in the stem, seat, and grip ends. I chose purple cable housing instead of the stock black. I have created OEM correct looking and size stickers, which will be added shortly. They can bee seen here https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/12647289/>

So I received a PM from a guy on this site (pinkbike), who has the same Zaskar frame, flaming me for what I have done. I guess that I have tricked out my old steed with too many modern parts. In his post, he said " What are you thinking?" He ended his post with "If you showed this bike to GT, they would cry." plus "No Offence, but this bike is just Bad!" The irony is that his own bike is not "period correct" nor a perfect museum piece either!

My point (or question) is that I am curious if there are any "like-minded" people out there in the world, who love the old, yet think it is also cool to modify them and not just "NEED" or "HAVE" to restored bikes to museum quality or perfect, OEM/showroom condition?

Respectfully,

David Matthew
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/davidmatthew/

Almost completed the build at this point. I need to install the chain and the shifter cables. The purple red color theme is working out quite nice. I have created new OEM style stickers which should be coming soon. I had forgot just how light this bike frame is. I need to actually weigh it but I was surprised when I took it off the stand for the first time. I look forward to showing it off to people at the GT booth at the 2016 Sea Otter Classic and see what they think. lol

Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 19:13 Quote
I guess not, sense nobody replied or seems interested in even reading the post.

Oh well, I'll enjoy my GT Zaskar's new lease on life, non-the less.

David.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 12, 2015 at 19:49 Quote
DavidMatthew wrote:
I guess not, sense nobody replied or seems interested in even reading the post.

Oh well, I'll enjoy my GT Zaskar's new lease on life, non-the less.

David.
I actually kind of dig the style you went for with the bike (- the purple housing) I can completely understand the wish to ride your bike while keeping the looks old schoolish. I would almost feel bad riding a museum price since bikes get damaged. Just keep riding what you like 2 cents

Posted: Oct 13, 2015 at 8:14 Quote
Its your bike so you should do what you want. Who cares what some random internet poster thinks. I cant say that I really like the purple and red combo myself but its your bike and if you like it then that is all that should matter.

I have a 1999 Klein Attitude that has a real mix of parts. In the 15 years I have had the bike parts were replaced as they wore or broke. It is not period correct, I dont care. I am currently putting on a set of Hayes G1 brakes which I suppose are period correct but this is simply because of the odd 22mm rear chain stay mount. If I had the option of newer brakes I would buy newer brakes.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse at this point but I would much rather see a RestoMod being ridden as apposed to a period correct pristine "wall hanger". These are bikes and should be ridden, if newer parts makes it better to ride then newer parts should be used.

Posted: Oct 14, 2015 at 20:03 Quote
Thanks guys. Yes I do like how it's turned out. As I stated, I built it to ride and not just hang on a wall of for a museum.
I do appreciate that there are like minded people who don't think that I "ruined" a good old bike (frame anyway).

That Klein sounds pretty cool.

Ride-on guys!

David

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
I got my GT Zaskar LE all built and now I'm enjoying it.

My first ride along the ocean trail in Monterey CA. I have everything adjust pretty well and it s time to enjoy.

I have gotten a few very favorable comments. In fact a couple of the mechanics at the local bike shop were very impressed.

David

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 9:49 Quote
Nice looking ride.
Wouldn't worry about the 'purist' making comments on it. It's yours, and if you like the way it rides with the modern parts, then that's all that matters.

I got bitten by the retro-bug a couple years ago and built up some oldies. At first I was obsessed with getting ONLY the period correct Syncros post etc. Managed to pull it off, but boy, what a hassle and expense.
Recent builds have been a mix of modern/old...mostly due to what I have in the shed parts-wise. Plus, some of the older parts make it difficult to ride.....can't believe we used to ride with 22" wide flat bars...lol
Don't see myself ever being able to pull off a completely period correct bike. I sure do appreciate the folks who can do it though...they always turn out very nice.

So, enjoy the bike, and don't sweat the details.

Mike
Off to the shed to figure out what I need to put my Z2 Bomber onto my Toad....and while I'm at it, do some research into what low riser wide bar I can fit into the Syncros quill stem Smile

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 at 15:31 Quote
I am with you on this David. In fact, I am just beginning to put together a "Resto-Mod" 2000 Norco Sasquatch with quite a bit of non-historically correct parts such as 200/160mm disc brakes, short stem/wide riser bar combo and a 85-130mm adjustable front fork so that I can ride some black diamond trails in my neck of the woods (Vancouver) and have fun while doing it .

Enjoy your ride and don't sweat it.

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 at 15:33 Quote
Haha! I just realized I said the same thing as Mike-e. Cheers!

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 at 21:10 Quote
Thanks guys.

I'm feeling better about this build now. It's actually a fun bike on moderate trails and along the Ocean near where I live.

Cheers.

David

Posted: Aug 19, 2017 at 0:28 Quote
late to this post - however I will send some pic's of my various rebuilds as I too have a Zaskar, Avalanche and Team LTS all from 94-96 which i've dragged around for 20 years!

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 19:40 Quote
I have 2 "resto-mod" BMX bikes. '94 Redline Prolines PL-20 & PL-24. Loved building and riding them. They mostly hang in the shop for now.

Posted: Aug 28, 2019 at 21:00 Quote
motodavel wrote:
Its your bike so you should do what you want. Who cares what some random internet poster thinks. I cant say that I really like the purple and red combo myself but its your bike and if you like it then that is all that should matter.

I have a 1999 Klein Attitude that has a real mix of parts. In the 15 years I have had the bike parts were replaced as they wore or broke. It is not period correct, I dont care. I am currently putting on a set of Hayes G1 brakes which I suppose are period correct but this is simply because of the odd 22mm rear chain stay mount. If I had the option of newer brakes I would buy newer brakes.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse at this point but I would much rather see a RestoMod being ridden as apposed to a period correct pristine "wall hanger". These are bikes and should be ridden, if newer parts makes it better to ride then newer parts should be used.

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
miker34 wrote:
motodavel wrote:

X 2 !!!

FL
Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
I get the restomod thing.
I'm doing it myself. For the second time.
My first having been stolen.
First off let me start with the fact that I think a bike is meant to be ridden. Second I hate throwing away perfectly good bikes. It hurts an old retired wrench like me. And I enjoy wrenching as long as its not on the clock for some haggling ingrate. So now I'm doing my own restomod again for two reasons. I need an XC light singletrack rocketship. Second. An old Bonty. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.
So off I go again. With an entirely different thought process on it now. My last build was a total botique build. My current will be semi botique. But at the core I want a bike I take to the shop only once. And that is in order to borrow their headset press. I want a bike that will be low maintenance, and what little maintenance can be done at home with a minimum of tools.
And it has to be parts readily available at most shops. Meaning caged bearing headset, loose balls in hubs. I'm basically building a forever bike.
Biggest challenge will be turning down a 27.2 mm dropper to 27.0 mm.
But whats life without some fun challenges?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013791
Mobile Version of Website