Powered by Outside

Pike rct3 Fork oil residue

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Pike rct3 Fork oil residue
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2015 at 3:39 Quote
Quick question, I have bike with a new pike fork on it. When i depress the fork, a very small amount of oil is left on the Left-hand stanchion at the point up to which it was compressed. If I wipe that away and do it again, the same thing happens. Is that normal, or does it mean I have a very minor oil leak? Probably nothing serious, but it's the first decent fork I've invested in so want to be sure.
Thanks

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2015 at 7:33 Quote
GeeHad wrote:
Quick question, I have bike with a new pike fork on it. When i depress the fork, a very small amount of oil is left on the Left-hand stanchion at the point up to which it was compressed. If I wipe that away and do it again, the same thing happens. Is that normal, or does it mean I have a very minor oil leak? Probably nothing serious, but it's the first decent fork I've invested in so want to be sure.
Thanks

Sounds completely normal. When the fork is assembled, the foam ring and the inside of the dust wiper are primed with some lubricant. Inevitably, as the fork breaks in, some of that escapes. This should stop happening after around 10 hours of ride time.
Keep this in mind though:
In the Pike, you only have 15 cc of bath oil in the spring side lower and 5 cc in the damper side lower. So if you start losing more oil than what looks normal, you really have to stay on top of it and do a lowers service to make sure you don't run the fork dry (in case of debris embedded in the dust wiper). For the record, I've had nothing but Pike forks on my personal bikes in the past three years and this has never happened to me. The OE seals are quite good.

Cheers,
-D

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006596
Mobile Version of Website