Cannondale Trigger vs Jekyll

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Cannondale Trigger vs Jekyll
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
Hello,
I'm a pretty fresh rider from Kentucky looking to finally go full suspension. My local shop has offered a tremendous deal on a cannondale trigger and Jekyll (both the 3 level) and I'm just curious as to which will benefit me more and which will help me in my quest to shred everything in front of me. I love to go fast and ride very aggressively but the trails around my home are not super difficult. I'm looking for a bike that can conquer anything in front of me. Please give any helpful information and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I've narrowed it to only these two bikes for a reason so I would rather receive advice between the two and not about a different bike.

Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 21:03 Quote
I would also like to know what someone would think the biggest drop the trigger could handle with a 5'11" 160lb rider. Just to use as a reference as to some trails around here.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 17:39 Quote
The Trigger is an all-conditions bike, with 140mm travel and appropriate geometry to climb and descent proficiently.

The Jekyll is an Enduro machine that climbs a lot better than you'd expect from a bike with 160mm travel. It does not climb as well as the Trigger but it is by no means an unpleasant experience.

Enduro bikes from other makers tend to be overkill for less-difficult trails, and overkill in a way that makes them less fun and slightly unmanageable (big loose travel, slack geometry, etc).

The Jekyll, however, while it is far more than most people need, is definitely not unmanageable on tame stuff. I own one, and I'm floored by how well it can be enjoyable on tame trails and climbs and then blast downhill like a gravity bike. I intentionally look for obstacles to hit because it eats everything.

The Trigger is probably enough bike for anything you could throw at it. But if you're worried about bottoming off of jumps, get the Jekyll. It's so well built you really don't have a lot to lose by deciding to go the overkill route.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 1:10 Quote
Not sure what you trails are like but I myself own a Jekyll. The trails I ride are a bit tame for it and could probably use the trigger but having ridden some bigger alpine terrain on my 140mm spitfire I found my self wanting a bit more plushness. Which in the Jekyll I get from the dyad in long travel and just flip a switch to climb or on a pedally section not needing a big bruiser of a bike.
I come from a dh background so that's why I like the dyad shock running lots of sag and it climbs really well in short travel. Again perfect for me as I struggled to get a good mini dh bike feel going down without climbing like a sack of turd.

I did ride a trigger once but only on single track felt good and will be great to ride as a trail and single track ripper but when it gets real rough and steep it will find the limit quicker. If you get the limit that is, I have yet to find the limit of the Jekyll until I hit the Alps again next year I expect

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
Good points from the two above answers. I ride a Trigger alloy 27,5,great bike for twitchy technical trails,not many long hardcore descents here in DK,and i am not a megajump kind of guy Smile But i do go to Sweden and Norway where trails a much rougher,and it handles it fine. But you talk about big drops,go for the Jekyll

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008835
Mobile Version of Website