how to start racing?

PB Forum :: Downhill
how to start racing?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 17, 2015 at 22:22 Quote
Hey all,

I'd like to start getting in some dh races. I live in North Carolina. As far as race calendars, what would be the best place to start?

Anything else I would need to know/do before hand?

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 5:54 Quote

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 6:38 Quote
pumptrack wrote:

Thanks for the wonderful insight

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 8:25 Quote
Look up a local spot and see if they have practice nights to get your feet wet. It's easier to get introduced to the locals and get a feel for etiquette, then hit up a race without your bike (even take it maybe they let you ride in practice). Talk to the nice lady at registration and ask about the next race. Race day can be more intense, all the riders have the nerves going, but IME most often riders are pretty cool and very willing to help newbs get into it.

A little advice, any attitude needs to be checked. You pretty much want to go with the attitude you know nothing and be prepared to start at the bottom. They don't know what you know, they will most likely talk to you like you are new to everything. If you give attitude they will not respond well, after a couple weeks you'll figure it out.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 8:27 Quote
It's not rocket science

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 17:59 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
It's not rocket science

And you are no rocket scientist.

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 18:38 Quote
Atleast I know how to start racing

Posted: Oct 18, 2015 at 20:33 Quote
I just started racing this season in a local collegiate series. I'd recommend looking into what racing series are in your area. For the northeast, we have the ESC (Eastern States Cup) which has both enduro and downhill events. Even if you are in a low class to start out, the experience is great, and I noticed my riding and confidence improve greatly after just one season of racing. Hope this helps!

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 12:07 Quote
I was looking at the south eastern series I think it was called. Decent tracks involved I just don't know if I would be cat 2 or 3. I'm not a new rider but I just haven't competed before

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 14:19 Quote
I'd suggest trying to watch a race first and see how you'd stack up.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 15:02 Quote
Hit up a practice run if you can and compare times. It can be very difficult to imagine yourself compared to other riders, even a little race experience can help tremendously. You can expect to improve race times pretty quickly in the first few outings.

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 15:46 Quote
Only if your good

Posted: Oct 19, 2015 at 19:12 Quote
pumptrack wrote:
Only if your good

Have you ever posted anything useful?

Sorry to others subjected to this comment but man, Puptrack you really need some etiquette schooling, you are coming across as an uneducated child with the ego the size of the Hindenburg. And we all know how that ended.

Posted: Oct 20, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
I can't help it if this guys an idiot

Posted: Oct 24, 2015 at 22:58 Quote
ricar wrote:
Look up a local spot and see if they have practice nights to get your feet wet. It's easier to get introduced to the locals and get a feel for etiquette, then hit up a race without your bike (even take it maybe they let you ride in practice). Talk to the nice lady at registration and ask about the next race. Race day can be more intense, all the riders have the nerves going, but IME most often riders are pretty cool and very willing to help newbs get into it.

A little advice, any attitude needs to be checked. You pretty much want to go with the attitude you know nothing and be prepared to start at the bottom. They don't know what you know, they will most likely talk to you like you are new to everything. If you give attitude they will not respond well, after a couple weeks you'll figure it out.

Hahahaha that's was the most over-analyzed thing I've ever read. Chill bruh it's not complicated just go to a damn race.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011192
Mobile Version of Website