Post Your Marin!

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Post Your Marin!
| Next Page
Posted: Aug 19, 2019 at 5:13 Quote
Cool, yeah where i ride is pretty fast with a lot of small bumps and thought coil would eat all the bumps. I race enduro as well so think i'll stick to air to begin with.
Cheers guys.

criscokid25 wrote:
Keys33 wrote:
Awesome Alpine Trails!!!

I'm thinking about getting one but unsure on whether to get the 7 or 8.

If I get a 7 I might upgrade to a coil shock straight away, do you guys think there's enough progression in the rear for a coil to work well?

Do you have to run a lot of volume spacers in the rear?

Cheers.

My shock and fork are both stock so not sure if they came with spacer for the specific tune. I do not feel that I need to make any changes on the shock. The fox 36 performance fork is good but not great. Small bump is nothing to brag about but it holds up well in the later half of the travel. I think if you are using the bike for the park or more regular DH stuff then a coil might be rad. If you plan to pedal more the air is a great option. Either way, this is a super fun bike!

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 22:10 Quote
Pulled the trigger on the Alpine 8, so stoked.

Added a bash and chain guide and set up tubeless.
Rear suspension is progressive and efficient, not the plushest but I think that's down to the shock not the linkage.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 16:43 Quote
Keys33 wrote:
Pulled the trigger on the Alpine 8, so stoked.

Added a bash and chain guide and set up tubeless.
Rear suspension is progressive and efficient, not the plushest but I think that's down to the shock not the linkage.

Congrats! I have put mine through the ringer this season and it's been great! Stand outs have been the brakes, the rear shock, the 29er (my first wagon wheel) and the pedaling efficiency. Things I didn't like were the stock tires (terrifying in dry compact/loose conditions( I slapped a minion DHF on right away), the nx drive train is meh (rumour has it that upgrading the shifter makes a huge difference) and the fork is ok (not the best in small bump). Overall I am super happy with this bike. Enjoy!

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 9:33 Quote
After a season of riding my Alpine Trail 8 I am happy to report that the bike held up really well! Before I go through the bike, here is what I swapped out:

- Chromag OSX bar
- Minion DHF 2.5 3c front tire
- Shimano ice tech brake pads front caliper only.
- Chormag contact pedals.

Highlights:
- the TRP slate T4 brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.
- geometry... climbed really well and liked to go fast down. This bike checks all the boxes for a long travel modern enduro 29er
- this is my first 29er and I am not going back...stoked.
- rear shock is fantastic FOX float dpx2.
- pedals well for its travel.
- this bike is playful and fun to ride!

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.
- Fox performance 36 is also just ok. Small bump is not great.
- the stock tires do not work well in Kamloops dry loose terrain
- wheel set has held up well but getting something a bit stiffer would greatly improve the ride.
- size. I am right in the middle of the medium and large. I went with medium but I would have liked to try the large and medium back to back to see what fit better.

Overall, this bike has been great. From XC rides to bike park, it has not let me down. If you are looking at a bike in this category, I would definitely check this one out.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 19:58 Quote

just upgraded my marin sq2.

helm fork
cb droppers
rf carbon cranks
rf oval chainring
wtb saddle

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
After a season of riding my Alpine Trail 8 I am happy to report that the bike held up really well! Before I go through the bike, here is what I swapped out:

- Chromag OSX bar

Highlights:
- the TRP orion brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.
- geometry... climbed really well and liked to go fast down. This bike checks all the boxes for a long travel modern enduro 29er

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.
- wheel set has held up well but getting something a bit stiffer would greatly improve the ride.
- size. I am right in the middle of the medium and large. I went with medium but I would have liked to try the large and medium back to back to see what fit better.

Overall, this bike has been great. From XC rides to bike park, it has not let me down. If you are looking at a bike in this category, I would definitely check this one out.

Yeah nice! I agree with you on just about everything. Also swapped the front tire to a 2.5 DHF. The stock tires are so hard, the tread pattern looks good just need a softer compound.
The wheels do flex too, my rear tire rubs on my seat stay when railing berms as the wheel flexes too much.
With the 36, the negative air chamber comes full of grease, effectively reducing it's size. If you clean it out and just apply a small amount it is so much better, a lot closer the how the Debonair Lyrik feels in terms of small bump sensitivity. I would say the 36 is nice and controlled throughout the stroke but not particular plush, still like it though. I removed the spacer from it too and run a little higher pressure (90psi and I weigh approx. 85kgs) which seemed to help balance it better.
I really like the brakes too, mine are TRP Slates, I'm assuming yours are to? I had 4 pot XTs before and they have a similar feel, the TRPs are kind of in between Codes and 4 pot XTs.
One thing I have noticed is that the paint chips really easy, dropped an allen wrench from about 30cm away and it chipped the paint, otherwise it's a sick bike, highly recommend.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
Keys33 wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:

- Chromag OSX bar

Highlights:
- the TRP orion brakes are fantastic! They feel like shimano and work super well. 1600 m decent in revy with no fade or issues at all.

Things I would change:
- NX is just ok.

Yeah nice! I agree with you on just about everything. Also swapped the front tire to a 2.5 DHF. The stock tires are so hard, the tread pattern looks good just need a softer compound.
The wheels do flex too, my rear tire rubs on my seat stay when railing berms as the wheel flexes too much.
With the 36, the negative air chamber comes full of grease, effectively reducing it's size. If you clean it out and just apply a small amount it is so much better, a lot closer the how the Debonair Lyrik feels in terms of small bump sensitivity. I would say the 36 is nice and controlled throughout the stroke but not particular plush, still like it though. I removed the spacer from it too and run a little higher pressure (90psi and I weigh approx. 85kgs) which seemed to help balance it better.
I really like the brakes too, mine are TRP Slates, I'm assuming yours are to? I had 4 pot XTs before and they have a similar feel, the TRPs are kind of in between Codes and 4 pot XTs.
One thing I have noticed is that the paint chips really easy, dropped an allen wrench from about 30cm away and it chipped the paint, otherwise it's a sick bike, highly recommend.

Good call on the brakes...slate t4 not the orions. Nice insight into the fork... I will check it out.

Posted: Nov 2, 2019 at 17:57 Quote

2008 Marin Quake XLT.
Its like an old 4x4 that gets better with age.
I bought it off some one who converted it to full DH with a 888 up front, but I've been slowly converting it to be more enduro.
The suspension set up now is a Crane Creek DB inline air rear shock and a X-fusion Vengeance up front. (though I still put back on the 888 for bike park days).

I recently got a dropper for it, but I need a shim for the seatpost.
The big problem with the bike is its weight and gearing ratio. I'm going to try and tackle that next year with new wheels and a new drive train.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 16:51 Quote
@JSaundersStudio

old but gold!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020861
Mobile Version of Website