Post Your Marin!

PB Forum :: Marin Bikes
Post Your Marin!
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
The Marin hubs aren't great. An affordable fix might be to rebuild the OK factory rim on a Bitex hub. they're 6 pawl and only about $175.

I have a 2020 AT8 which is basically a big Rift Zone. I'm swapping parts to a Spire. If you wanted a slightly bigger bike and like your RZ you might keep an eye out for one.

gauss wrote:
Not much to see.

2020 Rift Zone 3.

Around 500 trouble-free miles (rear hub seems to be on it's way out and the tires are starting to seep sealant out of the sidewalls).

Mods: 140mm front air shaft. Removed DPS travel limiter, getting me to around 135mm rear travel. 170mm FSA cranks. 45mm Race Face stem. MRP chain guide/bash guard. OneUp 150mm dropper and lever (with the 150mm X-Fusion that came on the bike I had less than 120mm actual drop with my 30" inseam. With the OneUp's shorter insertion length I get a full 150mm. Probably the best single modification to the bike). Bontrager Line Elite pedals. Bars cut to 740mm.

Some days I wish I'd gotten an Alpine Trail, other days I couldn't be happier with the Rift Zone.

2020 Rift Zone 3

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
Just picked this up a few weeks ago. 2022 Rift Zone 27.5 3. So far stock except for some frame protection. Getting back into mountain biking after a 15yr hiatus. Previous bike is an old Marin hardtail…that’s still running strong. Can’t believe how much things have changed!!

2022 Rift Zone 27.5 3

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
n54tt wrote:
Just picked this up a few weeks ago. Getting back into mountain biking after a 15yr hiatus. Previous bike is a Marin hardtail…that’s still running strong. Can’t believe how much things have changed!!

2022 Rift Zone 27.5 3

The Assegai is a great tire but you may find it somewhat sluggish in the rear. You may enjoy something a little better rolling. Enjoy the bike!

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:44 Quote
mastashake wrote:
n54tt wrote:
Just picked this up a few weeks ago. Getting back into mountain biking after a 15yr hiatus. Previous bike is a Marin hardtail…that’s still running strong. Can’t believe how much things have changed!!

2022 Rift Zone 27.5 3

The Assegai is a great tire but you may find it somewhat sluggish in the rear. You may enjoy something a little better rolling. Enjoy the bike!

Thanks! Any suggestions?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
n54tt wrote:
mastashake wrote:
n54tt wrote:

2022 Rift Zone 27.5 3

Thanks! Any suggestions?

Personally I think the Maxxis High Roller II is the best rear tire out there. I have also had good luck with the Kenda Regolith.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 17:34 Quote
My RZ 27.5 2 heavily moded since I bought earlier this year...just upgraded to a revelation up front.

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 18:07 Quote
Dknight3 wrote:
My RZ 27.5 2 heavily moded since I bought earlier this year...just upgraded to a revelation up front.

Nice! What have you modded other than the front fork? Looks like wheels and tires? What are you running?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 18:17 Quote
n54tt wrote:
Dknight3 wrote:

Nice! What have you modded other than the front fork?

Rockshock revelation rc fork (shaved 1 lb from stock recon fork)
Wtb i29 TCS rims with slx hubs
Deore brakes
Icetech 203 rotors
Spike saddle
Specialized eliminator grid 27.5x2.35 tires setup tubeless
Comet handlebar
Rf Atlas stem
Xt shifter derailer chain
Shimano dropper lever
RF Getta grips

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 4:31 Quote
gauss wrote:
Not much to see.

2020 Rift Zone 3.

Around 500 trouble-free miles (rear hub seems to be on it's way out and the tires are starting to seep sealant out of the sidewalls).

Mods: 140mm front air shaft. Removed DPS travel limiter, getting me to around 135mm rear travel. 170mm FSA cranks. 45mm Race Face stem. MRP chain guide/bash guard. OneUp 150mm dropper and lever (with the 150mm X-Fusion that came on the bike I had less than 120mm actual drop with my 30" inseam. With the OneUp's shorter insertion length I get a full 150mm. Probably the best single modification to the bike). Bontrager Line Elite pedals. Bars cut to 740mm.

Some days I wish I'd gotten an Alpine Trail, other days I couldn't be happier with the Rift Zone.

2020 Rift Zone 3

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
Rift Zone 1 - Very modified

2021 Rift Zone 1 29er, got it in June. Probably would have held off on all the upgrades, but didnt want to wait until winter for stock to return... I probably could have gotten a $3k bike with all the money I dumped on parts for this:

Fork: 2020 RockShox Yari RC 29" B2 with Charger RC2 Damper and DebonAir C1 150mm travel AirSpring
Rear Shock: 2019 Fox Float Performance DPX2 (from a Specialized Stumpjumper)
Front Tire: Continental Trail King 2.4"
Rear Tire: Maxxis Aggressor 29" 2.3 DC/EXO/TR
Handlebar: OneUp Components Carbon Black cut to 760mm, 35mm Rise
Stem: Spank Spoon 350 - 35mm
Grips: Ergon - GA3 Ergonomic
Dropper Remote: Wolf Tooth Components Remote 22.2mm
Dropper Post: Tranz-X Skyline 125mm
Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M8000L/R Disc Brake Lever (Without even changing the calipers this improved braking massively!!)
Brake Rotor Front: Magura Unisex's ROTOR STORM CL 203 MM, Silver
Shifter: Shimano XT SL-M8000 I-Spec II
Crank: RaceFace Aeffect EXI 175mm
ChainRing: Wolf Tooth Direct Mount Elliptical/Oval Drop-Stop Chainring for RaceFace Cranks 30T Boost
Pedals: CHESTER Composite Pedal Mountain Bike Pedals (Blue)

Have a couple more upgrades (PUSH ACS3 Coil in front, Hunt Trail Wide Rims and Hubs, XT Derailleur) coming then I think I'll be done (lol)..

Im not super happy with the dropper post and may swap it out for another model as it doesnt feel like it gets quite as low or high as I'd like it..

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
supergreg1 wrote:
Rift Zone 1 - Very modified

2021 Rift Zone 1 29er, got it in June. Probably would have held off on all the upgrades, but didnt want to wait until winter for stock to return... I probably could have gotten a $3k bike with all the money I dumped on parts for this:

Fork: 2020 RockShox Yari RC 29" B2 with Charger RC2 Damper and DebonAir C1 150mm travel AirSpring
Rear Shock: 2019 Fox Float Performance DPX2 (from a Specialized Stumpjumper)
Front Tire: Continental Trail King 2.4"
Rear Tire: Maxxis Aggressor 29" 2.3 DC/EXO/TR
Handlebar: OneUp Components Carbon Black cut to 760mm, 35mm Rise
Stem: Spank Spoon 350 - 35mm
Grips: Ergon - GA3 Ergonomic
Dropper Remote: Wolf Tooth Components Remote 22.2mm
Dropper Post: Tranz-X Skyline
Brake Levers: Shimano XT BL-M8000L/R Disc Brake Lever (Without even changing the calipers this improved braking massively!!)
Shifter: Shimano XT SL-M8000 I-Spec II
Crank: RaceFace Aeffect EXI 175mm
ChainRing: Wolf Tooth Direct Mount Elliptical/Oval Drop-Stop Chainring for RaceFace Cranks 30T Boost
Pedals: CHESTER Composite Pedal Mountain Bike Pedals (Blue)

Have a couple more upgrades (PUSH ACS3 Coil in front, Hunt Trail Wide Rims and Hubs, XT Derailleur) coming then I think I'll be done (lol)..

Im not super happy with the dropper post and may swap it out for another model as it doesnt feel like it gets quite as low or high as I'd like it..

Looks good...so I'm running the mt200 levers with deore calipers bh59hose..so the shimano xt blm8000 levers take a bh59 hose? I thought it was bh90 hose only?

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 23:10 Quote
Dknight3 wrote:
supergreg1 wrote:

Looks good...so I'm running the mt200 levers with deore calipers bh59hose..so the shimano xt blm8000 levers take a bh59 hose? I thought it was bh90 hose only?

Thats a good question! I didnt actually do the swap, but when I left my bike at my friend who is our bike mechanic, he didnt need to do anything and literally swapped the lever on to the hoses that came with the bike. In over 20 rides, I've not experienced anything close to a brake failure or problem.. I guess the BH59's fit the M8000's just fine?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 4:56 Quote
supergreg1 wrote:
Dknight3 wrote:
supergreg1 wrote:

Thats a good question! I didnt actually do the swap, but when I left my bike at my friend who is our bike mechanic, he didnt need to do anything and literally swapped the lever on to the hoses that came with the bike. In over 20 rides, I've not experienced anything close to a brake failure or problem.. I guess the BH59's fit the M8000's just fine?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
Updated with Relevation RC 140MM fork.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012620
Mobile Version of Website