2015 altitude 770 2x10 conversion to 1x11

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2015 altitude 770 2x10 conversion to 1x11
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 11, 2015 at 20:43 Quote
Hello. I need a little direction. I converted my shimano 2x10 to a one up. I really like losing the front derailer and I bent my rear derailed, I think it needs replacement so I'm considering purchasing a complete 1x11 conversion. What should I be looking for as far as brands. Both shimano and sram have the components, what system will work best on my rocky maintain.

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 22, 2015 at 18:23 Quote
Hey,

Really depends on your budget. Depends how "micro" you are on things. For me, *flame suit on* I'm not to picky when it comes to drive train. If it functions snappy, is a solid product, and is quiet, I'm happy.

Depending on your price range that would affect things too. Look into the Sram GX line, they have a 1X11 set up that is more of your "budget conscious" set up, with a clutch etc.

I have a Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 710 - I'm slowly converting over to Sram GX 2X10 set up from a X5/X7 3X10.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 6:45 Quote
I just converted over to a shimano 1x11 drive train. There are some great deals out there right now. I went with the M8000 XT 11-40t cassette with xtr shifter and RD. The shimano 11 spd and 10 spd cassettes use the same spacing so no need to upgrade your rear wheel. The SRAM drivetrain requires the XD driver. Unless your rear hub can be converted to XD, it could be a fairly expensive upgrade to go full SRAM. I have been reading about people using the XT cassette with SRAM RD and shifter with success, if you are really keen on SRAM mechs.

BTW, I have a Altitude 750.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 23:37 Quote
Go Shimano XT M8000 11-40 and check out One Ups 45t extender and 32t oval traction chain ring. I went this way and its pretty sweet. 11-45 with the 32t chain ring is similar to 11-40 with 30t chain ring but you keep some top end speed.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 5:44 Quote
dbhender wrote:
Go Shimano XT M8000 11-40 and check out One Ups 45t extender and 32t oval traction chain ring. I went this way and its pretty sweet. 11-45 with the 32t chain ring is similar to 11-40 with 30t chain ring but you keep some top end speed.

This, but instead of the range extending cog just get the new 46-11 cassette from Shimano and run a 34 tooth ring

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 20:04 Quote
I'll get in on this discussion too...

I'm on a '16 altitude 730 msl and would like to switch to an oval 1x11 - not so much for skill/efficiency, more as a learning thing and because I like tinkering with stuff. The 730 has race face cinch crank, shimano hg50 cassette, shimano xt rear mech and a 10 speed chain.

What all would I need to order to do this? Just the front chainring (thinking the oneup cinch oval ring, 32t), new cassette (XT M8000 11-42T), and any 11 speed chain? Any special tools or anything? I'd like to order it all in one go.

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 20:46 Quote
jaid74 wrote:
dbhender wrote:

This, but instead of the range extending cog just get the new 46-11 cassette from Shimano and run a 34 tooth ring

+1

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 21:15 Quote
Jbelot wrote:
Hello. I need a little direction. I converted my shimano 2x10 to a one up. I really like losing the front derailer and I bent my rear derailed, I think it needs replacement so I'm considering purchasing a complete 1x11 conversion. What should I be looking for as far as brands. Both shimano and sram have the components, what system will work best on my rocky maintain.

Cheers!

Shimano 11-speed groups don't require you to use a special free hub body known as an XD Driver, which are required for SRAM's 11 & 12 speed groups. That means switching to SRAM is going to cost you big bucks because you'll need a new rear wheel since yours has a Shimano 8/9/10/11 free hub (unless you run SRAM's NX cassette, which I wouldn't recommend doing). Is that really something you would do, just to go from 1x10 to 1x11?

Posted: Apr 10, 2016 at 22:31 Quote
ezbeta wrote:

I'm on a '16 altitude 730 msl and would like to switch to an oval 1x11 - not so much for skill/efficiency, more as a learning thing and because I like tinkering with stuff. The 730 has race face cinch crank, shimano hg50 cassette, shimano xt rear mech and a 10 speed chain.

What all would I need to order to do this? Just the front chainring (thinking the oneup cinch oval ring, 32t), new cassette (XT M8000 11-42T), and any 11 speed chain? Any special tools or anything? I'd like to order it all in one go.

Will need 11 speed shifter and rear derailleur as well. worth replacing the shifter cable and housing while you're at it. as far as tools you'll need a cassette lockring remover, chain whip, chain tool, cable cutters and i believe a bottom bracket tool for the chainring switch? I converted my 2015 750 msl from a 2x10 to a 1x10 with a 42 tooth expander cog. The 2015 has a bolt setup for the chainring, not cinch so I do not have any experience with those.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 7:36 Quote
JCFIV wrote:
ezbeta wrote:

Will need 11 speed shifter and rear derailleur as well. worth replacing the shifter cable and housing while you're at it. as far as tools you'll need a cassette lockring remover, chain whip, chain tool, cable cutters and i believe a bottom bracket tool for the chainring switch? I converted my 2015 750 msl from a 2x10 to a 1x10 with a 42 tooth expander cog. The 2015 has a bolt setup for the chainring, not cinch so I do not have any experience with those.

One guy said my wheel might not be compatible with an 11 speed cassette which sounds kinda weird... is that a thing?

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 10:15 Quote
ezbeta wrote:
JCFIV wrote:
ezbeta wrote:

One guy said my wheel might not be compatible with an 11 speed cassette which sounds kinda weird... is that a thing?

Yes. SRAM 11 & 12 speed groups require what's known as an "XD Driver". It is not the same as the traditional Shimano free hub which accepts Shimano 8/9/10/11 & SRAM 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 20:15 Quote
christopheryang wrote:
ezbeta wrote:
JCFIV wrote:

Yes. SRAM 11 & 12 speed groups require what's known as an "XD Driver". It is not the same as the traditional Shimano free hub which accepts Shimano 8/9/10/11 & SRAM 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

I'm not too sure what the deal is with a 1x11 to be honest. Like I said, I went 1x10. so let me get this straight. If you use a shimano 11 speed cassette then you're good. but if you were to use a sram 11 speed cassette then you need a new hub? Would like to know myself for future reference.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 20:18 Quote
I believe thats what is said a few posts up. just want to clarify for a possible 1x11 upgrade in the future.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 20:23 Quote
JCFIV wrote:
christopheryang wrote:
ezbeta wrote:

I'm not too sure what the deal is with a 1x11 to be honest. Like I said, I went 1x10. so let me get this straight. If you use a shimano 11 speed cassette then you're good. but if you were to use a sram 11 speed cassette then you need a new hub? Would like to know myself for future reference.

Yes. your current free hub works with the following MTB cassettes:

Shimano 8/9/10/11
SRAM 8/9/10

If you want to run SRAM 11 or 12 speed groups, you need to convert your wheel using an XD Driver. Some low end wheels are unable to accept the driver. It all depends on what kind of wheel you're running.

edit: there is one SRAM 11 speed cassette that does not use the XD Driver. That would be the NX series cassette. It is very heavy though, and probably wiser to just go with a Shimano cassette instead.

Posted: Apr 11, 2016 at 21:48 Quote
christopheryang wrote:
JCFIV wrote:
christopheryang wrote:

Yes. your current free hub works with the following MTB cassettes:

Shimano 8/9/10/11
SRAM 8/9/10

If you want to run SRAM 11 or 12 speed groups, you need to convert your wheel using an XD Driver. Some low end wheels are unable to accept the driver. It all depends on what kind of wheel you're running.

edit: there is one SRAM 11 speed cassette that does not use the XD Driver. That would be the NX series cassette. It is very heavy though, and probably wiser to just go with a Shimano cassette instead.

Okay got it. Thanks for the explanations!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009730
Mobile Version of Website