Pivot or Yeti

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 7:28 Quote
Need some help. Looking to buy a new bike. Rode several and its down to the Pivot Mach 429 Trail Xt/XTR build and the Yeti SB 4.5C GX build. They are both the same price and I could get either one and probably be happy. What are some other criteria I should use to purchase? The Yeti frame cost more so the components are maybe lower level but still at my level or above. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Posted: Dec 2, 2015 at 23:11 Quote
Yetis are known for snapping alot

Posted: Dec 3, 2015 at 6:34 Quote
ideafactory wrote:
Need some help. Looking to buy a new bike. Rode several and its down to the Pivot Mach 429 Trail Xt/XTR build and the Yeti SB 4.5C GX build. They are both the same price and I could get either one and probably be happy. What are some other criteria I should use to purchase? The Yeti frame cost more so the components are maybe lower level but still at my level or above. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I'd go with the Pivot. Purely because with that you can go with the nicer group set. That can set one bike above another, even if the frame is a bit less expensive.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
Wow, two excellent bikes. I've ridden them both and the shop wasn't able or willing to get the bars on the 429 positioned low enough for me. Love how the 429 looks, great reputation for reliability but the fit wasn't there. I think the Yetis rear suspension feels better, especially climbing. I think the new Yetis have 'solved' rear suspension. Both bikes benefit substantially from lighter wheels. I'd try to spend less on components and put the money into better wheels. Current 'low end' drivetrain components are really good. Oh except for brakes, it is stupid to get anything but xt, buy now or buy again later.

I think if these are your only two choices you need to ride them both more on your target trails to get a handle on which you like better. At your price point you should be satisfied after every ride. What is your height and weight? What type of riding do you do? If you aren't floored by a bikes awesomeness then save your money.

I wanted the sb4.5 until I rode it, bike felt too long. Still I am personally most impressed with the sb5 (and keeping my powder dry riding a 26" bike.) The best 29er I've ridden was the rocky instinct 970 but could be because the shop set it up well for me.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 19:05 Quote
Looking at both the Pivot 429 & Yeti SB4.5c myself. I tend to lean toward SRAM, as their rear derailleur isn't made of cheap plastic. I assembled & tuned a Santa Cruz Juliana HT recently, that had a XT rear, snapped at one of the parallelogram pivots right out of the box. The box was in pristine shape from shipping & the hangar wasn't even tweaked, so this one's on Shimano for building cheap shit. I'll also take the Guide RSC over the XT brake for modulation & overall performance, hands-down. Run noisy sintered pads, not the organic stuff that's quiet, but wears out way too quick. SRAM has worked out their issues they had with earlier iterations of pistons expanding/seizing, due to heat. Although at some point, I'll upgrade to the Guide Ultimate, because they perform 'ultimately' better than any brake out there, based on my experience. All that said, the Yeti is spec'd better than the Pivot for the most part. I just prefer to purchase a ride as close to how I'd spec it custom.

Posted: Apr 23, 2017 at 22:40 Quote
If this is going to be a long term bike I'd shy away from Yeti. They ride amazingly well but I'm questioning if they are built to last.

The carbon chain stays on my friends SB66c seem awful thin campaired to my mojo hd. That being said they're both still in one piece and his yeti hauls ass. Slack though. But damn fast up, down, and on the flats. I might be a bit jealous.

Posted: Apr 24, 2017 at 6:33 Quote
I haven't had that exact Yeti but mine started to creek and it became quite annoying and to replace all the bushings I think was around 400$

Posted: May 12, 2017 at 18:22 Quote
Ive had my pivot carbon firebird for about a month now and love it, never was a fan of yeti

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012765
Mobile Version of Website