Advice for hand numbness?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Advice for hand numbness?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 17:14 Quote
Anyone have advice for hand numbness during rides? Sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late in the ride, sometimes it's the whole ride. I got Ergon grips to help with wrist position, but that didn't help. May be just worn out wrists from construction (swinging a hammer for six years), but was hoping someone had a solution. Hard to shift when you can't feel your fingers. I've heard of certain grips helping, and possibly handle bars. Any help?

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 17:39 Quote
give your arms hands a good warm up before you ride, stretch n shake em.shorten the stem or tilt the bars back a touch so less weight is on arms/hands. might not be so efficient when climbing but you will not have hurty hands when doing so.

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 18:14 Quote
I had the same problem. I found if I stretch my lats before and during ride the numbness isn't as often.

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 20:44 Quote
Try playing around with bar and stem position. You can also try moving your seat farther forward so more weight is on your seat and less on your wrists. Finally, you can change the angle of your break levers and try to find a more comfortable position.

Hope this helps. Best of luck

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 21:12 Quote
Thanks, everyone. I'll try all of the suggestions.

Posted: Nov 23, 2015 at 21:33 Quote
As others have said, play around with your cockpit set up. Consider things like bar width, stem rise/length, lever position and seat position. Try one thing at a time, often your LBS will have different size stems/bars to help you figure things out.

Personally, I found that I had to use fatter grips, as thinner grips caused numbness.

You could also play around with your fork settings, as your suspension may not be optimized.

...It can be a bit of journey, but most people (even those without numb hands) can benefit from a more personalized cockpit.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 7:07 Quote
Put your hands on the bar with wrist straight. Align brake and shifters to your hands.

Can also be due to weak wrist collapsing while you ride. There is a wrist curl exercise that can help too. Hold a dumbbell with forearm vertical, then move your wrist around.

For me problem was same as other poster, my lots and triceps need stretching before and during the ride. Also to move bars so I don't keep weight on the hands.

Like others have said, there is no one answer. Good luck!

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 7:59 Quote
It was about fatter grips with some cushion for me, lizard skin northshores resolved my numb hands.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 8:14 Quote
Only two ways to avoid it IMO, either don't ride or don't have such a weight-forward position. With a weight-forward position your wrists and arms are constantly carrying body weight load to the front wheel. Getting your body weight center back will help lower that load off your wrists/hands. Things to change would be a shorter stem, taller stem height, riser bar, back-sweep bar, shorter top tube frame, forward saddle position, etc. etc. However, you then have to conciously start moving body weight forward in the turns to load and stick the front tire. Carrying your weight forward all the time even when not needed is what contributes to the issue.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 8:30 Quote
I made a switch from ODI Ruffians to ODI Rogues and that was an immense help.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 8:54 Quote
I use to have the same problem when I ride as well. The thing that helped me the most was stretching more often and get my blood flowing in my arms. I use to hate it when it happens too. When it was cold as well I would lose the feeling in my hand as well. I tried a couple different gloves but they didn't really help stretching was the only thing that really helped me.

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 11:54 Quote
In my case, what solved that was switching to foam grips, carbon bar with 9 degree back sweep.

First I was on a 6 degree back sweep alu bar with odi grips. Switched to foam grips and had an improvement (could ride 30 more minutes before numbness). Changed the bar and never had that problem anymore.

I hope this can give you some hints for stuff to try!

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 17:25 Quote
Light hands matter for more than just avoiding numbness in them ;-)

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-training/light-hands-heavy-feet-17-drills-to-help-make-your-riding-more-stable-no-matter-what-the-terrain/

Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 20:14 Quote
I switched to Enve bars and Chromag Squarewares first and it got a lot better. Recently switched to Ergon GE1 grips and haven't had issues at all.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007088
Mobile Version of Website