Best AM hardtail frame

• Next Page
Posted: Jan 17, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
passwordpinkbike wrote:
ozansefer wrote:
I am looking an am hardtail too but I see that ragley and commencal has good frame and constraction but short reaches. I am 5.11" 1.82 tall and need a reach about 440 mm. Now I am usind a scott scale 760 and its reach is ok (443) with 60mm stem. I am looking at nukeproof scout 435mm reach but cant find stack measurement. And wated to buy a dartmoor hornet but some owners has problems with build quality. Thay added photos about asimetrical stays and seat tube. I give up and looking forward. I need a bike for riding trails and make drops near 1 meter, jumps on the stairs bla bla whats your opinion? Asteel hardtail or hardcore aluminium like nukeproof, dartmoor or..

I wanted to buy a Dartmoor Primal 2016, but like you the quality of the frames got me looking for others options. I got the Commencal Meta HT AM but end up selling it because like you said their frames are short (luckily I sold it for the same price) and with a L size frame I couldn't use a 125mm dropper post. It's a shame because mine was nicely made and I like a lot that type of geometry (atleast in paper). And alos that's why I wouldn't buy a Cotic or Dartmoor Hornet, they have a high BB and a relative less "agressive" geometry unlike the Meta.

By the end of the month I'm gonna buy a Ragley Marley frame, l'm not saying is the best option, but I like the geo a lot, it's slack and long (for me). The 18" frame size would let me use a short stem and a 125mm dropper post. I'm only worried about the quality of the frame, looks kinda cheaply made.
They're not bad at all. Know quite a few people on here with them, another person and I both have the 26" Marley'd and are rocking great. Only thing is the paint may still be made of a hobo's dick cheese.

Posted: Jan 17, 2016 at 22:57 Quote
passwordpinkbike wrote:
ozansefer wrote:
I am looking an am hardtail too but I see that ragley and commencal has good frame and constraction but short reaches. I am 5.11" 1.82 tall and need a reach about 440 mm. Now I am usind a scott scale 760 and its reach is ok (443) with 60mm stem. I am looking at nukeproof scout 435mm reach but cant find stack measurement. And wated to buy a dartmoor hornet but some owners has problems with build quality. Thay added photos about asimetrical stays and seat tube. I give up and looking forward. I need a bike for riding trails and make drops near 1 meter, jumps on the stairs bla bla whats your opinion? Asteel hardtail or hardcore aluminium like nukeproof, dartmoor or..

I wanted to buy a Dartmoor Primal 2016, but like you the quality of the frames got me looking for others options. I got the Commencal Meta HT AM but end up selling it because like you said their frames are short (luckily I sold it for the same price) and with a L size frame I couldn't use a 125mm dropper post. It's a shame because mine was nicely made and I like a lot that type of geometry (atleast in paper). And alos that's why I wouldn't buy a Cotic or Dartmoor Hornet, they have a high BB and a relative less "agressive" geometry unlike the Meta.

By the end of the month I'm gonna buy a Ragley Marley frame, l'm not saying is the best option, but I like the geo a lot, it's slack and long (for me). The 18" frame size would let me use a short stem and a 125mm dropper post. I'm only worried about the quality of the frame, looks kinda cheaply made.

I checked now and see that Marley has same reach with the commencal, and seat tube is 23 mm lower. I see that commencal meta cromo purple xl has 443 reach and 640 stack. İt can fit me good. Seat tube is 510 mm I measured at my bike and see I can use 125mm droppost. Take a look at the purple integral cable rooting and smooth finish seems really greate. I hope it will be more durable than nukeproof scout aluminyum. Meta cromos seat stay is seem sexy but unreliable.

Posted: Jan 18, 2016 at 7:31 Quote
Don't see it mentioned anywhere else in here, but I love my On-One 456SS with a 140mm Revelation. Can go up or down in travel from there, but it feels good at 140mm.

Their frames are pretty inexpensive comparatively too...

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 18:51 Quote
looeythedog wrote:
passwordpinkbike wrote:
ozansefer wrote:

They're not bad at all. Know quite a few people on here with them, another person and I both have the 26" Marley'd and are rocking great. Only thing is the paint may still be made of a hobo's dick cheese.

Thanks. I already have a frame with a desalighment rear triangle so I always get worried about the build quality when I'm looking at new frames.

ozansefer wrote:
passwordpinkbike wrote:
ozansefer wrote:

I checked now and see that Marley has same reach with the commencal, and seat tube is 23 mm lower. I see that commencal meta cromo purple xl has 443 reach and 640 stack. İt can fit me good. Seat tube is 510 mm I measured at my bike and see I can use 125mm droppost. Take a look at the purple integral cable rooting and smooth finish seems really greate. I hope it will be more durable than nukeproof scout aluminyum. Meta cromos seat stay is seem sexy but unreliable.

The Meta Cromo looks so cool, sadly not worth the price to me (I got to import it and pay taxes plus shipping) besides geometry neither will fit me well being so similar to the Meta aluminium. I tought the same about seat stays, I guess they made it that way to make a more flexy rear triangle.

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 12:01 Quote
Not mentioned in your post, but you might want to take a look at the Mondraker Vantage (R/R+/RR+) frames. Their geometry is pretty nice for an aggressive riding style. And not so expensive either (469 - 499€). If needed, I know a shop that ships world-wide Smile

These are the complete bikes: http://www.mondraker.com/16/eng/bikes.html#category-am-hardtail/type-hardtail

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 at 0:06 Quote
north-shore-king wrote:
a-d-e wrote:
north-shore-king wrote:
Specialized Pitch Sport, can't get it in frame only, but if you don't mind dropping $700 on a complete bike and taring the bike down and upgrading the components then go for it. A little heavy but rides DH really well. I'm in the process of taring my Pitch Sport apart and upgrading everything. Big Grin Good luck. (RockShox Revelation RL in 140mm travel will make it ride awesome).
he said 140 travel - pitch aint built around 140. if a frame is designed around 100mm of travel i would say 120mm absolute MAX or you end up with shitty geometry & high centre of gravity so you may think the bike looks cool n shit with a big man fork up front but in reality it will handle like shit.
OP check the sexiest am enduro hardtail thread. everything you need to know & plenty of opinions to help you decide.
True. Still putting 140mm on it.

Ur headtube eventually will snap!!!!! I'd go for Reba 120mm cus revelations will totally mess up the geo!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously

Posted: Jan 25, 2016 at 15:51 Quote
Built up a chromag stylus a couple of seasons ago couldn't be happier. I was originally looking at getting a commencal meta but with no local dealers and buying online I was wary.

A buddy of mine picked up a Transition Transam last season and has been really happy with it as well.

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 at 0:01 Quote
Those chromag's look mint!!!!!!

FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2016 at 8:34 Quote
Anything Chromag.

Posted: Jan 26, 2016 at 11:03 Quote
mistermtb wrote:
Anything Chromag.

Yes, I have been using Chromag parts on past bikes and have always been happy with the quality.

Had the chance to pick up a stylus frame at a good price and jumped on it. Built it up and now seriously has to be my go to bike. Does everything I ask it to pedals up with ease and rocks going back down.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 12:27 Quote
I just replaced my Cotic Soul 26 (same geometry as the BFe) which had a Float 32 140 with a Bird Zero AM with -2 deg headset and 130mm Pike. Rode the Soul for years but it started to feel too short, tall and steep once I was used to the Spitfire I got 2 years ago. The Zero is bloody amazing!

Bird Zero AM - custom geometry

Head angle is 64.3 deg, seat angle is 75.4 deg, reach 445mm, BB drop 55mm, with those tweaks.

Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 13:12 Quote
threehats wrote:
I just replaced my Cotic Soul 26 (same geometry as the BFe) which had a Float 32 140 with a Bird Zero AM with -2 deg headset and 130mm Pike. Rode the Soul for years but it started to feel too short, tall and steep once I was used to the Spitfire I got 2 years ago. The Zero is bloody amazing!

Bird Zero AM - custom geometry

Head angle is 64.3 deg, seat angle is 75.4 deg, reach 445mm, BB drop 55mm, with those tweaks.

It looks amazing!!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017206
Mobile Version of Website