Rear shock for my remedy

PB Forum :: Trek
Rear shock for my remedy
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 7:39 Quote
Any one know who makes a shock that will fit my remedy. (7.75x2.25). I know most companies make 7.85x2.25 but that wont work. What has anyone else thrown on their bike? How did you like it compared to the DRCV? Thanks

Posted: Dec 11, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
It's hard to find a shock for the Remedy because you have to rig up your own mounting hardware if you want a non-DRCV shock. I think I'm gonna go for the Vorsprung Corset Air Sleeve for the Remedy to put on mine. It's not a shock, just a redesigned air sleeve that makes the shock more supple giving it a coil-like feel. I've heard nothing but great things, and I don't have to rig up new mounting hardware because they make a DRCV version

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 10:10 Quote
colenc97 wrote:
Any one know who makes a shock that will fit my remedy. (7.75x2.25). I know most companies make 7.85x2.25 but that wont work. What has anyone else thrown on their bike? How did you like it compared to the DRCV? Thanks

I found someone (on Pinkbike) selling a 2016 Re Aktiv shock off his new Remedy since he wanted the Kashmina version so if you can find one of those I would do it since its a great shock.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 10:31 Quote
Click to enlarge

RockShox
RockShox Monarch RT3 7.75" x 2.25" (197 x 57), Fast Black Body, 2010- 2015 Trek Remedy 26" / 27.5" C2

Availability:
MN 0 ETA: 03/15/2016
UT 0 ETA: 12/18/2015
NV 1
Qty:
ADD TO CART ItemWatchItemWatch
Model: Monarch RT3
QBP # RS8767

This is for the 27.5" and there is not a monarch plus for the Remedy which is weird. And the Corset air sleeve would be my next suggestion if you don't want a new shock.

FL
Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 15:51 Quote
Wasisnt wrote:
colenc97 wrote:

I found someone (on Pinkbike) selling a 2016 Re Aktiv shock off his new Remedy since he wanted the Kashmina version so if you can find one of those I would do it since its a great shock.

That's the thing if I got one I would also want the Kashima coat.

Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 11:25 Quote
Hello. I fitted a 200mm eye2eye Rockshox Monarch + and it makes a huge difference. The fox DRCV'blows' through the last elements of travel to easily (right when you need it!). The eye2eye on the Remedy is 197mm so you need 3mm offset bushings from www.offsetbushings.com. You also need a replacement 10mm bolt for the top mount. 2 choices either locate a Trek Slash replacement through bolt through a Trek dealer( also Rockshox do one) or get a nice Ti bolt (right length) like the chap in the previous post, either way don't let anyone tell you it's hard to do....it's easy and makes the remedy a 'superbike'.....happy to provide more detail or photos if it helps. Hope this helps.

Posted: Apr 29, 2016 at 11:36 Quote
faoyayo wrote:
Hello. I fitted a 200mm eye2eye Rockshox Monarch + and it makes a huge difference. The fox DRCV'blows' through the last elements of travel to easily (right when you need it!). The eye2eye on the Remedy is 197mm so you need 3mm offset bushings from www.offsetbushings.com. You also need a replacement 10mm bolt for the top mount. 2 choices either locate a Trek Slash replacement through bolt through a Trek dealer( also Rockshox do one) or get a nice Ti bolt (right length) like the chap in the previous post, either way don't let anyone tell you it's hard to do....it's easy and makes the remedy a 'superbike'.....happy to provide more detail or photos if it helps. Hope this helps.

sup bro? what bolt did you use for mounting? thanks!

Posted: Jul 25, 2016 at 8:51 Quote
I've got a 200x57 cc inline on mine, which is a huge upgrade over the penske racing float DRCV it came with (remedy 9). Just get some offset bushings, and the upper bolt from the slash linkage to mount a different shock. the CCDB air doesnt fit.

I also tried a monarch, which felt a little better, but has nothing on the inline!

Posted: Aug 27, 2016 at 10:47 Quote
spicer wrote:
I've got a 200x57 cc inline on mine, which is a huge upgrade over the penske racing float DRCV it came with (remedy 9). Just get some offset bushings, and the upper bolt from the slash linkage to mount a different shock. the CCDB air doesnt fit.

I also tried a monarch, which felt a little better, but has nothing on the inline!

Spicer, I've gat a 2013 Remedy 26" and as you say, the standard spec shock isn't up to much. I love the idea of getting a cc inline on my bike but wouldn't know where to start re offset bushings etc, do you mind giving me a bit more in depth advice on what I need and where I'd get it from?

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 at 4:42 Quote
crashbdog wrote:
Spicer, I've gat a 2013 Remedy 26" and as you say, the standard spec shock isn't up to much. I love the idea of getting a cc inline on my bike but wouldn't know where to start re offset bushings etc, do you mind giving me a bit more in depth advice on what I need and where I'd get it from?

Sure. It'll be a little different, as mine is the new 27.5 remedy, but mostly the same.
First off, your shock is 197mm eye-to-eye (e2e) (from centre of the lower eyelet, to the centre of the bolts on the side). This isnt a standard size- the closest you can get is 200mm e2e, which will fit your frame, but to keep the geometry the same we need to shorten it by 3mm to get to the 197mm (that extra 3mm would make a difference to how the bike handles, it'd be a bit taller and steeper).

Luckily, offset bushings are available, which "effectively" shorten the eye-to-eye measurement of the shock by offsetting the hole the shock mount bolt goes through (i say 'effectively', because you're not actually changing anything on the shock, just the position of the bolt). Each of these have a 1.5mm offset, so with two offset bushings, you'll achieve the reduction of 3mm you're after.

here is a normal bushing: http://www.tftuned.com/userfiles/image/mk12.7_6x25.4.jpg
Here is an offset bushing: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0214/6538/products/OB_2-2_large.jpg?v=1452161962

You don't have to worry about the shock extending by 3mm instead of shotening it, as the mount hardware will naturally rotate to the shorter position once its on the bike and you compress the suspension. This visualises it nicely:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0214/6538/files/Eye2eye-3.png?2475969177539258535

Note: the term 'offset bushing' is a little misleading. The bushing is the same, its the mount hardware (the tube that goes through the shock eyelet) which has an offset hole

You can buy your offset bushings from burgtec, or offset bushings. The burgtec ones are more durable as they are titanium, whereas the other brand are made of brass so a bit softer. I've had the brass ones deform at the edge a little, which made them difficult to get in and out of the shock eyelet, so I'd recommend burgtec (just call them first to see when they are producing their next batch).

Just tell them the make and model and they should sort you out.
http://www.burgtec.co.uk/products/offset-shock-hardware/burgtec-titanium-offset-shock-hardware/
http://www.offsetbushings.com/products/offset-bushing

You'll need a 40x10mm and a 40x8mm kit (10mm for the top mount, 8mm for the bottom). Your current shock only uses one bushing (on the bottom) as the top uses the trunnion mount (the bolt on either side). With a replacement, you'll replace the trunnion mount with a regular bushing, like on the bottom.

So now you'll have the shock, have the correct bushings/mount hardware, and you just need the bolt to secure the top part. On my frame, the bolt from the trak slash fits. I'm pretty sure it will on yours too, which you can order from a trek dealer. The part is:

SKU: 514493
UPC: 601479251902
Model : Bolt
Use With : Slash Rocker Links w/ non-DRCV Shocks
Color : Black
Qty. : 1.0

If you can't find one of these, you can just find a M10 bolt that is long enough, and secure it with a nut on the end. You might need to cut the nut down a little.

And thats it. All you have to do it fit it.

this blog also has info
http://www.unclesomebody.com/blog/?p=691

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 20:04 Quote
Well this work for '15 remedy 9 29"?

Posted: Sep 13, 2016 at 15:41 Quote
great run down spicer. I'm looking at new shocks for my 2017, hopefully some good stuff comes out in metric soon and I don't have to go to the trouble, but nice to know how.

Posted: Sep 14, 2016 at 7:24 Quote
Jaylynx wrote:
Well this work for '15 remedy 9 29"?
Yes, but I think the shock length and stroke is different on the 29" version. All the steps will be the same, you just need to google the length and stroke of the shock you'll be replacing it with

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.049257
Mobile Version of Website