SC Nomad Vs. Bronson

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 7, 2015 at 18:22 Quote
lately I've been thinking of changing bikes.
I currently have a Cannondale Jekyll team,
but I want something more playful. The Jekyll
is crazy long and a crazy fast bike, bike it is not
a bike I can throw around at a park. I am looking
at the Bronson and the Nomad. The Nomad looks
like it would be a crazy fun ride, but I feel it might
be to much for the all mountain trails around so-cal.
the Bronson on the other hand, would be great for
the trails around so-cal, but I go about 15 to 20 days
to big bear per year at the bike part and spend a trip
to whistler once a year. Both bikes would be the XX1
setup with the enve setup. just want to hear an opinion
from other people.
Nik

Posted: Dec 7, 2015 at 23:04 Quote
Hey man. So I bought a brand new 5010c this year, and it was amazing. I got really fast on it and learned a quick bunch about all the new technology, the 27.5 wheels kicks ass. I had popped my fork to 140, and the bike felt great! One problem, I felt limited. So I sold it an got a nomad. I'll admit, the first few weeks it was hard to love. It was Big, climbed slow, my times were about the same, except it had more of a monster truck feel to it. But after slowly getting to know how to use it, I can't look back. The bike f*cking rips. Screams downhill and holds any straight line you throw at it. The 5010 isn't a Bronson, but damn close. I would say if you ARE going to get a Bronson, which will climb a hell of a lot better than a nomad, get the high end fox spec with the float x and 36. That bike looks epic. Either way you won't be disappointed, but if you want a bike that you know you probably can't max out, get the nomad.

Posted: Dec 8, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
Nomad's a LOT to push. I know guys who have relegated it to their shuttling bike to use something smaller for their AM activities. The Bronson is a damn good balance.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2015 at 12:00 Quote
I feel compelled to post since this was the exact choice I struggled for months over. In the end I went with the Nomad.

General advice:

I think in the end what it comes down to is if you how you see yourself as a rider, how you ride, how you like to approach things, etc. If you like tight technical stuff, careful bike placement, and have a bit of XC in your heart, with the bike park being a deviation/treat from this, then go with the Bronson. On the other hand, if you've got a bit more freeride in your soul, you love charging and hucking things, and a bike park is where you call home, go with the Nomad.

Personal experience:

I was doubting my choice for the first couple of weeks (I was also living in Saskatchewan at the time :/) but once I got a bit more comfortable on the bike, and put it on a proper DH trail for the first time... Holy shit man, I have nothing but a shit eating grin every time I look at this bike. It feels like such a perfectly-composed so-incredibly-capable bike. The harder you push it, the better it feels, and the more confidence it inspires. That's another important note about the Nomad: it needs to be ridden hard to really feel alive, and the harder you push it, the better it feels. If this sounds like your style, then the Nomad is absolutely what you want.

Also... I just came back from a trip to Moab, UT with the bike. The riding there is rather technical, usually slower paced, less flow and more obstacles, with lots of climbing. Definitely more of Bronson or even 5010 territory. However I never really felt over-biked. Though I was aware I was on a (basically) mini-DH bike, it still climbed like a mountain goat. The VPP suspension is great at keeping composure on the uphill. I climbed pretty much everything my buddy on a hardtail was climbing, and if I didn't, that was usually cus of fitness or just not committing. Oh, and then I remembered I had a lock-out. Wink

While I don't have any experience on a 4-5" bike more geared at climbing, I've been continually impressed at how well the Nomad climbs. The only thing to note is that slack head-angle does make tight turns a little difficult sometime.

Anyways, enough rambling. I feel like my first "General advice" paragraph sums things up well, with the choice ultimately coming down to your personal riding style. Though the Nomad is likely "too much" for so-Cal, I would get the bike that suits your riding style.

tl;dr: If you love to huck and charge, get the Nomad. Otherwise, get the Bronson.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2015 at 13:26 Quote
I own a Nomad. Love it. I think it climbs great. With the new change up to the Bronson, the specs make it look like a 1lb lighter Nomad. I would really advise demoing both of them. Find a shop, and test ride. Buy what's more comfortable.

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 12:53 Quote
Having just upgraded from a 5010 Mk2 to Nomad 3 (I also own a Nomad 2 which feels dated in comparison), I can safely say that it's the best move I've ever made in upgrading a bike. The Nomad 3 is truly amazing. It climbs as good as the 5010 (which for me didn't tick any box I wanted it to - trail, xc or enduro), is super fast downhill, handles amazingly in tight turns, and is fully forgiving when you're out of line. My two cents, for those contemplating between the 5010, Bronson and Nomad and want a do-it-all bike that is super fast diownhill, go Nomad!

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 16:20 Quote
I ended up going with a transition patrol carbon and i cant say anything bad of it. Its super poppy which the nomad didnt have, while still being a plow type bike. And climbs better then the nomad imo.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 10:48 Quote
The Patrol is a great bike so congrats on that. For anyone going the Santa Cruz route, I have a 2016 Bronson and it's amazing. BUT, I am currently building up a new 5010 because the climbs out here in Western Massachusetts are just retarded. The Bronson climbs great, way better than my Banshee Rune but the 5010 will be just right I think. I'm keeping the Bronson but I think i'll be spending most of my time on the 5010 around local stuff. In my opinion all the 160-170mm travel bikes are a pain in the ass to climb with. Yes, they are better than bikes from the past but having a DH bike for park riding and then a light nimble climber is really the way to go. Not everyone can afford it, but it really does make life a lot easier having 2 bikes and not just trying to get one for everything.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028986
Mobile Version of Website