Should I go from 26 to 27.5

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Should I go from 26 to 27.5
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 6:10 Quote
I do Cross Country and urrently own a Specialized Stumpjumper Expert hardtail 2013 with all XT 2015. Im considering to going up to 27.5 but I think the 26 vs 27.5 the benefits on XC are questionable, what you recommend, I love the handling of the 26 but I know it will get harder to get parts and stuff. Also I will like another Specialized but I think they do not have like a 27.5 XC bike or do they?

Thanks,

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 6:16 Quote
If you ride XC why not ride a 29er? Modern 29er geometry makes for a tight handling, stiff 29er. The difference between 26 and 27.5 is not huge, but it's there.

Posted: Dec 18, 2015 at 10:41 Quote
I have a 26" Stumpjumper and recently got a 27.5 Remedy and didn't notice a huge difference between the wheel size when it comes to cornering or the fun factor. I can climb much better on the Remedy but the geometry is better for climbing and its lighter so that's part of it. I think the 27.5 wheel can turn just as good as a 26 but the bike its on will make a difference too. I have a friend who is all about 29ers and he says he cant turn as good with them and it feels too big when I get on his bike but then again they are XL and I ride a large.

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 12:55 Quote
Don't do it "just because". There's just not enough of a difference to make the jump for the jump's sake. On the other hand, if you are looking to buy a new bike regardless, then yes, go with 27.5.

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 13:39 Quote
XC Race or just ride XC/trails?

You don't say what kind of bike, another HT, or FS?
If you race XC and want to stay with HT then 29er should be top option.

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 23:29 Quote
I actually went from a 27.5 to a 26. I was riding a 2015 specialized pitch. Medium frame, which is a good size for me, but the size of the tire led to too wide of cornering for the xc/trails i was riding, it was too large for my circumstances. I upgraded to a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR with a 26" tire and it handles much better on the same trails. the wheelbase is longer, but it doesn't handle all bulky. Could have been the frame, but I am more confident on the 26.

Posted: Dec 22, 2015 at 7:36 Quote
DeluxeBurger01 wrote:
I actually went from a 27.5 to a 26. I was riding a 2015 specialized pitch. Medium frame, which is a good size for me, but the size of the tire led to too wide of cornering for the xc/trails i was riding, it was too large for my circumstances. I upgraded to a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR with a 26" tire and it handles much better on the same trails. the wheelbase is longer, but it doesn't handle all bulky. Could have been the frame, but I am more confident on the 26.

Those two bikes are kind of complete opposites. They have entirely different geometry.

Posted: Dec 22, 2015 at 10:14 Quote
Tehuprising wrote:
DeluxeBurger01 wrote:

Those two bikes are kind of complete opposites. They have entirely different geometry.

I don't disagree that the bikes are very different, but the wheels themselves feel better imo than the bigger 27.5. They may be a little more effort to get over some obstacles, but the smaller size feels better for me. I'm only 5'7" and 150lbs, so the smaller standover and lower center of gravity seems to benefit the smaller size.

Posted: Dec 22, 2015 at 20:00 Quote
Bike components have changes a lot & assuming ur 26 is little older.
I stuck with my 26" and started to upgrade the crap out of it last year.
(26" parts started to drop in price around that time of the 29er)

These are 2002 and 2003 FSR Specialized Frames. White is mines, Teal is hers.

Lighter Rim + 2.2 Ligther Tires = So much more fun in the corners
(She actually likes to lean into the corners following now)

New Solo Air Forks = I am not sure how to explain, smooth bumps, Landings feel quite different
(Kept hers on Coil for now due to maintenance, new fork planned for Jan. she started to maintain her own bike)

New RearShock = The new shocks have rebound and air adjustment now, infinite dial in.
(Lock it out for Climb, open up for downhill fun)

In other words, if you just want to have fun and u can keep up with friends, you can breath new life into an old 26er

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/CillieAcc0rd5o4/Fun/SAM_3306.jpg

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 13:29 Quote
Germanese, I did not need to read your last reply! You are going to cost me a lot ????

I've got a Heckler, and just bought a 2015 Trance 650b but it doesn't handle as quick.

I bought it because I wanted a lighter bike, which it is but I can't throw it around as much so I might have to sell it and spend the money on components to shed some excess Heckler weight.

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 15:25 Quote
Answer to the post is yes ,you should go 650b cause all the frames coming out will be and carryover components from twenty six will be increasingly limited. I don't exactly want to go 650b but bike companies don't seem to care that I don't consider my bikes obsolete

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 12:58 Quote
I switched from 26" to 27.5 on the same bike and rode it park 26" and trail as 27.5 last season. The difference is minimal IMHO and if your looking to get a largely noticeable difference this isn't it. Can you tell the difference, sure you can but its very slight.

TBH my AM 29" kicks the crap out of either XC and trail till I get into larger chunder and drops mostly cause its a HT though not the wheel size.

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 13:00 Quote
chickendog wrote:
Answer to the post is yes ,you should go 650b cause all the frames coming out will be and carryover components from twenty six will be increasingly limited. I don't exactly want to go 650b but bike companies don't seem to care that I don't consider my bikes obsolete

You make it sounds like 26" is going to be gone by next year. Parts will be around for awhile and you can still buy a few new 26" frames.

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 16:57 Quote
Sure there will be 26 inch frames for a little while but it will dwindle away.If you want a new frame and use your old fork and wheels I am afraid you could be disappointed.That is my best example. A guy who owns a bike shop in Asheville told me they couldn't sell their 26 inch bikes

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010364
Mobile Version of Website