Are 29ers really trail worthy?

PB Forum :: 29ers
Are 29ers really trail worthy?
Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 7:51 Quote
We have a 6-3 customer who's pretty fired up about the upcoming Slash 29. It should be perfect for him.

Posted: Aug 31, 2016 at 6:13 Quote
Hey,guys! I Had to buy a bike last week. And i used to deserve what tiers do i need. I was readung a lot about tipes of tiers.And i think that 29ers are one of the best.So i think thar this one is a really good choise

Posted: Aug 31, 2016 at 12:59 Quote
Well I hope your new bikes takes 29er tires if so then 29er tires on a 29er bike might be a good fit. Unless your new bike does 27.5+ .......like the recently reviewed Marshall..................

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 11:26 Quote
I'm a big guy 6'4" 250lbs but I can still rip some trail. I love my 29er. Rocking a 2013 trek stache with 140mm travel fork and it kicks ass. I'm not hitting any jumps out drops bigger than six feet but I think that's more a personal comfort than the bikes capability. 29ers are definitely more capable than just xc with a confident rider

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 16:26 Quote
Bought a 29er full suspension last year..I ride xc with long climbs and rock gardens..It is a little cumbersome on tight single trak but nothing can beat this bike for overall riding..its faster and smoother than any 26 bike..The larger wheels blast over everything with confidence. .you can ride for hours and not feel beat up..once you put a couple of rides on one you will Never ride a 26 a again..

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 18:13 Quote
I went from 26 inch fully to 29 inch am hardtail( Kona Honzo). At first i was like wow big wheels, but i got the feeling quite quickly soon i was riding the honzo quite well(for my standards of course), it was very fast i am pretty sure that on some sections of local trail i was faster with 29" hardtail than a 26" fully.

But after a year with Honzo, i got 26" full suspension bike for cheap. First ride out i was smiling like hell. Ignoring the gnarly parts of the trail of course beacuse of hardtail vs fully but on a more flowy parts of the trail the agility of the 26" bike was noticable, really noticable. It just responded much quicker, there is a section of tight corners that i could never really nail it with Honzo no matter how much i tried. With the 26" fully first ride, i just went as fast as hell through that section no problems.

So to each his own i guess. I am currently building 27.5 am hardtail so i will be able to compare it directly to Honzo.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 14:24 Quote
I went from a Kona Stinky 26" to a Specialized Enduro Carbon 29er this year and couldn't be happier. I will admit on tight berms in the park or really tight singletrack it is a little cumbersome but at high speed steep stuff I have never felt more confident or stable. I have taken the bike off a decent number of tabletops, doubles, and drops 6ft and feel super good in the air. It climbs like a dream and is super light. My wheels are 100% in true despite any worry of less strength with the longer spokes. I love my 29er.

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 at 19:03 Quote
Well, if we use pro results as indicators, than Yes, 29ers are 'trail worthy.' Enduro World Series is a possible indicator, Ireland EWS was won by Greg Callaghan on a Cube 29er. The entire Aspen EWS podium were on 29ers. Many of the individuals racing EWS choose 29, even though they have free bikes and the ability to ride either. Yeti is an example with Cody Kelley on a 29, but Richie Rude on 27.5.

Also, Luke Stroebel won the PNW DH Cup on a Evil Wreckoning 29.

Ultimately its up to riding style, what you enjoy and what gets you out on trails. Quit trolling individuals because they ride a wheel size you deem as inferior. Withhold judgement, we are all in this together.

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 13:22 Quote
You should try my Trek slash 29er , then you'll know what a 29er can do, unreal bit of kit.

Posted: Feb 4, 2017 at 13:43 Quote
I bought a Smuggler towards the end of last year, 115mm of rear travel. My first 29er and I'm blown away by it. This bike is quick, has tons of grip and feels good in the air.I can't say I find a huge difference in tight twisty stuff. I've hit 6 foot drops and some lumpy terrain and it just soaks it up. I have a Commencal V4 which I think is a great capable bike but it's getting left at home more and more.

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 21:45 Quote
No I have a Norco fluid 9.1 and it just isn't as good as my friends 7.1 the 29 just feels sluggish on the downhill's but I can beat him on uphill but I don't race often. So that's not something I really care much about

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 23:28 Quote
whistlerbound wrote:
Hey I recently found out the secret to 29ers is to downsize your frame then use a longer stem and seatpost, Yes they are big and bulky. Downsize your frame and use light parts. Probably want to use clip in pedals as well . Now you're ready for some jumps. If your interested in 29ers chances are you have to do some climbing. Heres a video that explains it. The jump comes at 54 seconds into the video,copy and paste link to play video

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331742825445/val-di-sole-xco-world-cup-track-explanation-video

basically the epitomy of trail riding.Salute

You nailed it. I did just that and my 24.5 pound 29er rocket continues to blow my mind...

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 0:37 Quote
They are easily trail worthy, for everything except downhill, even that may change. you have to get the right new school geo frame though, otherwise you end up with the huge feeling bike. the right nimble frame will be great, although if i could do it all over again i would probably go for 27.5, just for extra playfulness. thats personal preference though, my bike is currently a 140mm travel 29 hardtail. the big hoops dont give me the snappy acceleration id like sometimes, and if you over brake for a corner youll pay getting speed back. it does have its advantages though. keep the momentum and youll fly, and a ton of grip.

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 1:21 Quote
robertg620 wrote:
They are easily trail worthy, for everything except downhill, even that may change.

You are aware of what happened at Lourdes this weekend, right?

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 10:32 Quote
I know minaar was using a 29er but I don't know the nitty gritty details. Il have to read up, he did finish in good position though, right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005761
Mobile Version of Website