Wheel outta true, spoke nipples ruined

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Wheel outta true, spoke nipples ruined
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Dec 23, 2015 at 20:13 Quote
Gist is, half my spoke nipples are stripped and my wheel is out of true.

This would be no problem, but the previous owner did a tubeless conversion and the sealant must've oxidized the nipples. So when I take the rim tape off and stick a flat-head in there, the top of the nipple just breaks apart.

Any way to fix? Would obviously prefer not to cut apart the spoke or get a new wheel- only as a last resort.

Posted: Dec 24, 2015 at 2:56 Quote
I'm afraid you're in for new spokes and nipples. But consider the price of the wheel before you start it, it may not be worth it ?

Posted: Dec 24, 2015 at 3:29 Quote
Giant PXCR1. Probs not. Ill just ride it till I break it

Posted: Dec 24, 2015 at 5:53 Quote
DT Swiss hubs, DT comp spokes, unknown rim. Don't know much more about them, other than they are pretty expensive on the Giant website ?

Now for a wheel, 28 spokes would probably go for 30€ (don't know about $AU), add another 15 or 20€ for a shop to build it, and if it's really not straight, it could probably be a good choice.

But if you have some money on the side and plans to buy a new set of wheels, don't bother Smile

Mod Plus
Posted: Dec 28, 2015 at 0:09 Quote
I'd start by focusing on the nipples that need to be turned in order to true the wheel. First, put a few drops of a penetrating lubricant (TriFlow works well) where the spoke enters the nipple. Next, if the nipple truly is too stripped out to accept a spoke wrench, and a flathead screwdriver won't work either, I'd say it's time to resort to a set of vice grip pliers, the type that can be squeezed and locked in the closed position. It's not an elegant solution, and it's guaranteed to destroy the nipple, but this should give you enough grip to force it to turn. In most cases, the threads on the spoke will emerge unscathed, even if the nipple is broken and mangled beyond recognition, at which point you can put a new one on (I'd recommend going with brass over aluminum).

With any luck, you'll only need to repeat this procedure a few times get your wheel rolling straight and true again, but if you do end up needing to replace a dozen or so nipples, I'd suggest putting on some soothing music and maybe trying a little meditation before diving into that tedious and potentially frustrating task. Or you could bring it into your local bike shop, but be sure to tip your mechanic well if you choose to go that route.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016523
Mobile Version of Website