maxxis minions

PB Forum :: Downhill
maxxis minions
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 15:58 Quote
ok so for the past 2 seasons iv been running the kenda nevegal
and lately iv hurd evryone talking about minions.

i just want some imput on them. what ppl think compared to the nevegal.
pros..cons...u no

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 16:05 Quote
Never run nevagals. So keep that in mind.

Minions are monsters when it comes to grip. In the wet, sand, hardpack you'll be hard pressed to find a grippier tire. That said on pavement the rolling resistance sucks, and they wear away quickly and even faster with Super Tackey compound. I've always had a least one Minion on my bike and never found anything else to replace it with (Michelin DH, Intense, countless other Maxxis'). One of my self Christmas presents was two brand new sticky Minion Tires.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
jf951 wrote:
ok so for the past 2 seasons iv been running the kenda nevegal
and lately iv hurd evryone talking about minions.

i just want some imput on them. what ppl think compared to the nevegal.
pros..cons...u no

I run them both. On the same bike too!

Nevegal is a good tire, and I still use it for rear. Tracks well, good traction (stick-e compound) , predictable, but has a tendency to wash as a front tire in loose stuff. Sheds mud FAST.

Minion = a round rubber sandblaster. Seriously. This think throws so much $hit on me and my frame, that it literally sandblasted the paint off of my last frame! With the Super Tacky compound its just ridiculously tacky (your fingernails can leave imprints in the knobs if you push them into it!) and tons of traction! Just TOO much sticky for doing anything other than races when you get the Super tacky compound. I love its handling characteristics, but will be replacing it with a less tacky compound minion for AM/FR stuff so I can ride faster that 15mph and still have skin left on my face!

Maybe if your local trails are pure "woods dirt" super tacky would work, but here, trails are rocky, and the weathered rock has little particles or rock that get eroded off of it, and they are horrible to have flying up in your face.

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
i just ran nevegals last year and liked them in the often wet clay that we have in maui. i just switched to minions and plan to never ride nevegel again. what i really like is the tougher sidewalls on the minion. i used to pinchflat once a week, and at whistler i had 3 in a day a few times with nevagals... i've felt my rear rim hit hard a dozen times with a minion and only had one random front pinchflat on a downhill run. i agree that they fling up a bunch of stuff but that's cause they're gripping like mad, and i use goggles anyway. minions basicly kick butt on the nev's IMO... they both wear down fast in rocky stuff...

Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
Your profile says you like n* and the minion is the best tire for that place. I wouldn't run anything but them on my dh bike. It'd be hard to make a tire that grips equally well as the minion in just about every condition except for straight up mud.

Mod
Posted: Jan 25, 2008 at 16:59 Quote
Maxxis has always been a huge player/contender at the races I go to. Almost all the racers chose the Minions over the various other tires out on the market as they have superior performance, are light for what they are, and they also last for quite a while. In fact, I didn't have to replace the front tire the whole season I used them but the rear I did have to replace a couple times but I am still very happy overall with the performance. I think next year I am going to try out the Ardent and give those a whirl.

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
Kendas suck!
I use Minions about 70% of the time and othe rmaxxis tires the other 30%.
I had a set of 2.5 nevegals 2 years ago, they were the crappiest tires I ever used, I could not corner at all.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
I've never found a tire I like as much as the ST Minion DHF. It's so predictable and gets great traction. Sheds mud reasonably well, and it rolls so much faster than the Kendas that it's almost unfair. Plus, the Minion's sidewalls aren't terrible like the Kenda's. I ran the 2.5 3C compound DHF front and rear this season and I really liked it. The tires last an exceptionally long time, and still hook up very well. I'm going to go back to the 2.7 up front, I just like a bigger tire. Run the Minions and be done with it.

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 15:48 Quote
I run minnions, I have ran alot of different tires, kenda, specilized, michelin, wtb.
and found them to be the best, super tacky wears quick, but it is worth it, I ran them at mount saint anne with 18psi and they were amazing, no flats and a lot of stick, they are a great tire,

O+
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 9:28 Quote
Minions are good, but I bought a 2.5 rear tyre and its really thin. Then Ive seen folk with 2.5 front and there really wide. Is the rear supposed to be thinner than the front?

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 17:02 Quote
whats the differnce having a 2.35 tire and a 2.5" tire?

Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 17:14 Quote
bkraft wrote:
about .15
really?.. wow... i didn't know thatRolleyes

I meant as in grip, more? less??
Turning situations?

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
markstoklosa wrote:
whats the differnce having a 2.35 tire and a 2.5" tire?

I ordered the 2.35 on accident earlier this season and decided to ride them for a bit just because I was in need of new tires badly in order to get my bike together...Anyways I have since replaced them with the 2.5 minions. They generally are the exact same tire as far as grip and cornering (duh), but the 2.5's just mob over rough stuff that much better. If you're riding tame XC-like trails without loose debris then the 2.35's are fine, but I much prefer my 2.5 3C minions...they instill much more confidence in my riding on gnarly DH trails!

I should have just typed: 2.5 > 2.35 Big Grin

Posted: Jul 19, 2009 at 0:03 Quote
boogenman wrote:
Kendas suck!
I use Minions about 70% of the time and othe rmaxxis tires the other 30%.
I had a set of 2.5 nevegals 2 years ago, they were the crappiest tires I ever used, I could not corner at all.

+1 to this. Nevegals came on my bike when I got it, so perhaps they weren't the best compound or whatever, but I played around with the psi and never could get them to act right. It seemed to push & I had NO confidence at all. I went with Minions front and rear and love 'em but I'll probably go with the Maxxis Highroller in the rear next time. Beer

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012500
Mobile Version of Website