Does anyone have experience of the Radon Swoop?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Does anyone have experience of the Radon Swoop?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 7, 2016 at 6:48 Quote
Hello all,

I have been looking at new bike options to replace my 2012 Nukeproof mega, one option is the Radon Swoop 10.0 ( http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes-2016/mountainbike/superenduro/swoop-175/swoop-170-100/ ) , it’s got exceptional spec for the price of £2.3k, to put it into perspective another option of a transition patrol with fox 36 factory forks comes it at the same cost for just the frame and fork, this has the same suspension design albeit with greater travel and the same fork along with XT 11 speed, stealth reverb etc. etc.…

What I’m after is any feedback from people who have owned one or ridden one, how robust is it, is the build quality of the frame any good, how does it ride? The bike will be an everyday bike so how does it climb?

Previous to a friend sending me a pic of these bikes I hadn’t even heard of Radon bikes, any feedback anyone has on these would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted: Jan 7, 2016 at 15:26 Quote
I don't have any experience of the Swoop but two riding buddies bought 160mm travel carbon Radon Slides back in December 2014, and a third bought one a few months ago, and they seem to be getting on Really well with them.

Posted: Jan 8, 2016 at 2:50 Quote
Thanks for the reply, I have struggled to find any info on the swoop, may just have to bite the bullet and try it out! Glad to hear that Radons are at least of a good quality if there is 3off in your riding group!

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 12:30 Quote
I'm also interested in the Swoop 10.0. The spec looks insane for the money. I initially started looking at a YT Capra AL1 but I would probably need an XL and they're not available until July.

I've been trawling the web for the past 4 weeks or so trying to get info on it. Found one review in German which I put in to Google translate, it sort of made sense but wasn't really an in depth review. I'm hoping one of the UK mags does a review of it very soon.

Posted: Feb 26, 2016 at 4:58 Quote
Radon Swoop 200 analysis

Posted: May 4, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
Here's a review by mbuk of the 9.0 1X11 version of the swoop 170

http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/radon-life/news/news-detail/news/swoop-170-review-at-mountain-biking-uk-062016/

Posted: Aug 20, 2016 at 12:50 Quote
Just purchased a Radon Swoop after previously owning an Orange 5. So here is my review. If your after an XC bike look again this is a full on DH beast that is pedalable up hill. Im so impressed and i had great reservations before buying it. Its a beast of a bike and in two day of ownership ive thrown it down many off piest welsh mountains in the dyfi vally. So stable long low and solid. In its slackest setting it does catch the odd rock but that setting is a DH switch it is a hell of a capable bike. Ive allmost shed a tear for the orange. before i bought this bike you could cut me in half and it would say Orange mtb.

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 11:50 Quote
That's some great feedback. Anyone know the difference between the 10HD and 10?

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 1:21 Quote
I purchased the swoop 170 10 in July and have not looked back....After many days of research and agony I decided to take the plunge without the benefit of actually viewing or riding the bike...I was very nervous at the fact I may have bought a bike that didn't fit me or was of low quality...boy! Was I wrong...This bike is unbelievable in build quality, componentry and looks...It climbs like a 29er and goes downhill like it's on fire...The fitting guide on line is very accurate and true to its dimensions. The bike was delivered within 5 days and part assembly took around 30 mins out of the box. The kashima suspension is plush and set up to soak up the biggest hits. Never had magura brakes but the m5's are bedding in nicely and stopping power is consistent and well modulated. Not sure how radon can sell this bike at the price...must be losing money. With each ride my confidence is growing due mainly to the geometry and kit of the bike...its comfortable and very stable...coming into winter I'm not sure the standard rubber is up to it so I'll be changing to hans dampf and the pedals will be upgraded to mallet dh...I can't stress how good this bike is....If you get chance jump on one and give it everything you've got. I'm sure you will be blown away!!!!

Posted: Sep 6, 2016 at 10:39 Quote
Iam close to pulling the trigger on a Swoop 170, but not sure what size to go with. 20" or 22"? The reach numbers are massive.. maybe too extreme in 22"?

Iam 189 tall (6ft 2,5") WIll be used mostly for pushbiking and enduro style biking. Got alot of tight trees and swithcbacks wherer I usually ride, not that much high speed stuff.

What size did you guys buy? compared to your height and old bikes..

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2016 at 10:44 Quote
Maybe you can run a super short stem?

Also looking hard at this bike. Maybe a bit heavy but it's price makes the YTs look expensive. The spec is ridiculously good.

Posted: Sep 15, 2016 at 6:10 Quote
Frewt wrote:
Iam close to pulling the trigger on a Swoop 170, but not sure what size to go with. 20" or 22"? The reach numbers are massive.. maybe too extreme in 22"?

Iam 189 tall (6ft 2,5") WIll be used mostly for pushbiking and enduro style biking. Got alot of tight trees and swithcbacks wherer I usually ride, not that much high speed stuff.

What size did you guys buy? compared to your height and old bikes..

I'm 6ft 1" and I bought the 22" (XL). feels a tad long but pretty much the right size. I have long legs for my height so if i'd got the large i would have needed the seat sky high. does feel a bit of bus round tight switchbacks, but the stability on straighter, higher speed stuff more than makes up for it. Although the reach numbers are massive i've sat on other bikes (yeti and whyte) with shorter or similar reach numbers (450 & 490) and they both felt longer than the radon weirdly enough! I'd definitely go for the 22" since your an inch and a half taller than me.

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 6:58 Quote
im 5ft 11 should i get a large or medium frame size?

Posted: Oct 20, 2016 at 13:00 Quote
Does anyone have pics or deets on the 2017 range yet?

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 9:33 Quote
REDBIMO wrote:
Just purchased a Radon Swoop after previously owning an Orange 5. So here is my review. If your after an XC bike look again this is a full on DH beast that is pedalable up hill. Im so impressed and i had great reservations before buying it. Its a beast of a bike and in two day of ownership ive thrown it down many off piest welsh mountains in the dyfi vally. So stable long low and solid. In its slackest setting it does catch the odd rock but that setting is a DH switch it is a hell of a capable bike. Ive allmost shed a tear for the orange. before i bought this bike you could cut me in half and it would say Orange mtb.
I'm having a bit of trouble with trying to alter the flip chip. any help?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.030707
Mobile Version of Website