Marzocchi 380 Master Thread

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
Marzocchi 380 Master Thread
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 12:28 Quote
Awesome thread! I have been interested in these forks for a while and am getting closer to purchasing one. I see a few '16 TI models floating around. I am most interested in the suppleness I hear people are getting out of these forks. I had an '09 888 ATA for a few years and I think that was still the best feeling fork I have ever owned. I am down to either a 380 TI or new boxxer team or WC. By previous experience my Marz forks were far more supple and active than Boxxer, but things have changed a lot since then. Any thoughts on the 380 vs '15+ Boxxers?

I would probably need a lighter spring at 140 full gear so I am looking for where to obtain the springs and what rate. Also how easy it is to get replacement parts when needed?

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 12:47 Quote
FRED-01 wrote:
Awesome thread! I have been interested in these forks for a while and am getting closer to purchasing one. I see a few '16 TI models floating around. I am most interested in the suppleness I hear people are getting out of these forks. I had an '09 888 ATA for a few years and I think that was still the best feeling fork I have ever owned. I am down to either a 380 TI or new boxxer team or WC. By previous experience my Marz forks were far more supple and active than Boxxer, but things have changed a lot since then. Any thoughts on the 380 vs '15+ Boxxers?

I would probably need a lighter spring at 140 full gear so I am looking for where to obtain the springs and what rate. Also how easy it is to get replacement parts when needed?

At 140 full gear you sure will need a softer spring. Look at any spring that suits your weight (from any fork brand, watch the length and diameter); it does not matter so much if it won't be Ti, as going softer also means thinner and lighter coil. You would also need to trim the anti bottom-out rubber.

Posted: Apr 23, 2017 at 18:37 Quote
About the "progressive bumper" as it's labeled on marzocchi's website. I was fine with 6.5km or firm spring that came in my 380, I was plagued with the limited travel that other have spoken about. I decided to completely remove the guts from the spring side to see for myself what was going on. After pulling it all apart, I ended up cutting off two inches of the bumper, it's just an elastomer bumper. It actually very similar to the set up the Rock Shox uses on the Boxxer. Now I'm getting about 7.5 inches before any ramping up from the bumper. Feels so much better, but I'm also 230lbs with gear. Hope that helps

Posted: Apr 25, 2017 at 21:25 Quote
jewpowered wrote:

second, I just learned Marz has an elastomer bumper with holes to make it more compliant 8-10 holes at the top crossecting.

I will post pictures when my parts come in
Ever get this part?

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
ryanmj wrote:
jewpowered wrote:

second, I just learned Marz has an elastomer bumper with holes to make it more compliant 8-10 holes at the top crossecting.

I will post pictures when my parts come in
Ever get this part?

Nope, out of stock, just ordered a regular and got an engineering drawing for reference, havent done it yet

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
Anyone knows any alternatives for the Marzocchi 380 axle end nut? It broke just before the weekend... I am wondering if anything else does the trick.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 15:03 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
Anyone knows any alternatives for the Marzocchi 380 axle end nut? It broke just before the weekend... I am wondering if anything else does the trick.
the course thread unit that threads into the thru axle?

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 22:07 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:

Yeah, this one. I haven't even met any resistance before it just tore itself apart. The edge just became a ring and the thread part now looks like one of these headless hex screws.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 22:12 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:

Yeah, this one. I haven't even met any resistance before it just tore itself apart. The edge just became a ring and the thread part now looks like one of these headless hex screws.
Ry the able from any older marzocchi

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 11:13 Quote
I used the 888 axle. Just had to mod it a bit. Cut it about 6mm from the length and made a flat spot on one end to make it fit in the fork. Worked surprisingly well ;D

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:48 Quote
Hetman64 wrote:
I used the 888 axle. Just had to mod it a bit. Cut it about 6mm from the length and made a flat spot on one end to make it fit in the fork. Worked surprisingly well ;D

Going to Nesbyen? Racing Bike Sweden is going there and probably brings spares for Marzocchi forks.

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 13:38 Quote
staike wrote:
Hetman64 wrote:

Going to Nesbyen? Racing Bike Sweden is going there and probably brings spares for Marzocchi forks.

Was thinking about going with my friends, but we need a bigger car ;D

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 0:19 Quote
Hey guys! I just picked up a new 2016 C2R2 ti. I noticed it came with a extra spring. I'm assuming it's an steel extra-firm 7.5Nm as it should have a ti 6.5Nm already installed?

Also both my high-speed knobs seem unusually stiff, in fact the high-speed rebound knob won't even budge. Any tips for making them a little more friendly to turn? Cheers

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 21:08 Quote
brycepiwek wrote:
Hey guys! I just picked up a new 2016 C2R2 ti. I noticed it came with a extra spring. I'm assuming it's an steel extra-firm 7.5Nm as it should have a ti 6.5Nm already installed?

Also both my high-speed knobs seem unusually stiff, in fact the high-speed rebound knob won't even budge. Any tips for making them a little more friendly to turn? Cheers

Also just got a new 2016 with the extra Spring not sure what weight it is though. I did an oil change on mine out of the box. just like my 2015 380 and 350 (and fox 36 32, boxxers, etc) it was shipped low on oil so I'd suggest following previous posts for instructions.
As for the high speed mine was stiff as well, i can't remember if it was all the way in or out but used a Allen key in one of the holes in the side of the knob to turn it very slightly back and forth until I could figure out which way freed it up. It was stiff but very obvious with the extra leverage on the Allen key which way it wants to go.

Posted: May 11, 2017 at 21:33 Quote
is it me or the espresso coating is fading in the seal area? i really take care of my 380 c2r2,i do the internal cleaning,oil change...everything! but i feel like my eyes are deceiving me 'cause the coating is kinda fading there...what would be the reason?

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019887
Mobile Version of Website