Marzocchi 380 Master Thread

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
Marzocchi 380 Master Thread
Posted: Jan 19, 2018 at 16:27 Quote
Hey bros, i am checking right now to see if i can figure out the problem, and i found this:
photo

The photo shows the spring side, though i'm not sue which side is bent, and for you guys to know, remember kelly mcgarry's huge crash at the big china staircase? This is this fork that i got from his brother, maybe that has to do with this misalignment...

UPDATE: After rebuilding it felt incredibly better, went to ride it and when going back home it felt shit again, so i took of the wheel and axle and then put it back together and it went back to normal. Weird

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 22:39 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
Hey bros, i am checking right now to see if i can figure out the problem, and i found this:
photo

The photo shows the spring side, though i'm not sue which side is bent, and for you guys to know, remember kelly mcgarry's huge crash at the big china staircase? This is this fork that i got from his brother, maybe that has to do with this misalignment...

UPDATE: After rebuilding it felt incredibly better, went to ride it and when going back home it felt shit again, so i took of the wheel and axle and then put it back together and it went back to normal. Weird

My guess is there is some issue with the axle pinching the lowers together too much and causing the bushings to bind on the stanchions. I had that issue with my 2014. When I would loosen the axle, the fork would be oh so plush, but when I tightened it, it would be very sticky.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 22:43 Quote
Does anyone have any info on the new 2018 380 c2r2? It is 499$ on the Marzocchi website and I'm thinking of picking one up if I can scrounge up the money. Just wondering what changes they made or if they fixed the issues with the older models.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 23:57 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
Does anyone have any info on the new 2018 380 c2r2? It is 499$ on the Marzocchi website and I'm thinking of picking one up if I can scrounge up the money. Just wondering what changes they made or if they fixed the issues with the older models.

Same fork, called Bomber, with black stanchions. Elastomer issues have been sorted for a while, although it's worth checking oil levels from the factory as they seem to be a bit hit and miss. Otherwise it's a great fork for silly money.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 1:33 Quote
photo

If you undo all the bolts on the crowns and wiggle the forks, does it change the axle alignment?

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 11:35 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
photo

My guess is there is some issue with the axle pinching the lowers together too much and causing the bushings to bind on the stanchions. I had that issue with my 2014. When I would loosen the axle, the fork would be oh so plush, but when I tightened it, it would be very sticky.

How did you solve it?

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 11:35 Quote
smuggly wrote:
photo

If you undo all the bolts on the crowns and wiggle the forks, does it change the axle alignment?

It stays the same

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
seismicninja wrote:
photo

How did you solve it?

It had a damper issue too so I sold it for parts.

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 12:22 Quote
henkster wrote:
seismicninja wrote:

Same fork, called Bomber, with black stanchions. Elastomer issues have been sorted for a while, although it's worth checking oil levels from the factory as they seem to be a bit hit and miss. Otherwise it's a great fork for silly money.

Does this include the 2017 or just the 2018?

Posted: Jan 29, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
potato wrote:
On top of this advice I have a couple other points.

I pull the fork off both the crowns.
Cycle the damper side, is it plush as you think?
Cycle the spring side, with the top cap off, is it good?

I started with 200ml of oil in the spring side, because I wanted a more progressive travel, but I lowered down to 100ml and that improved the plushness.

Also the crown bolts need to be torqued properly, not overly tight.
Bottom crown first.
Then top crown with the steerer bolt loose and top cap lightly finger tight.

Loosely mount the wheel with axle, cycle the fork and see if it is as plush as you expect.
Tighten the steerer bolt, and top cap. Check plushness.
Start tightening the axle and check plushness.

And like said before you need to narrow down where the stiffness is coming from.
Which leg? Axle?

Well written, I added this to the first post!

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 7:01 Quote
Cool, hopefully it helps some with alignment issues.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
smuggly wrote:
photo

It stays the same

My roomate bent his tripples in a crash half as bad as kellys

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 16:06 Quote
Hi I have a stock 2017 Giant Glory 2 that I just bought. I am replacing the stock Rockshox Domain RC fork with a 2017 Marzoccchi 380C2R2. I haven't received the new fork yet but I realized that my stock fork has a upper crown that arches upward and the fork I ordered has a flat upper crown. I am new to dual crown forks so my question is will I still be able to run the stock amount of spacers under the top crown or will I not have enough room? Do I need to order a different top crown? The headtube on the Giant Glory is not very big comared to a lot of DH bikes so I hope it wont be a problem.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 17:30 Quote
You will need to look up the specs for the 380, but I kind of remember the max steerer tube length (space between the top and bottom crown) being 150mm. I don't know if a high crown for the 380 exists. That should be ok for most modern bikes. I have one 5mm spacer between the top crown and head tube. And the minimum is about 100mm.

So to answer, I don't think you need a different crown, you can put spacers in until the gap gets to 150mm.

You need to double check the gap measurements in the fork manual.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 at 18:04 Quote
potato wrote:
You will need to look up the specs for the 380, but I kind of remember the max steerer tube length (space between the top and bottom crown) being 150mm. I don't know if a high crown for the 380 exists. That should be ok for most modern bikes. I have one 5mm spacer between the top crown and head tube. And the minimum is about 100mm.

So to answer, I don't think you need a different crown, you can put spacers in until the gap gets to 150mm.

You need to double check the gap measurements in the fork manual.
Thanks!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017132
Mobile Version of Website