Marzocchi 380 Master Thread

PB Forum :: Marzocchi
Marzocchi 380 Master Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 1:35 Quote
i do not know the shim stack they used , i think they charged me £50 to reshim and set up the fork how i wanted it , i was pleased with it when it was done as i was using a lot of the travel and needed the mid stroke support, i would give them a call if i was you and explain what you want, they are very good at what they do and the prices are ok as well, i do not have the fork anymore as i am using a boxxer that is also very good

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
The high speed compression adjuster adds mid stroke via a spring on the shim stack, it puts more force on the shim stack to stop it blowing off. The shim stack is more for mid stroke, it then blows off for high speed which is more the porting on the piston. Try adding more high speed compression first before changing shim stack.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
mark3 wrote:
i do not know the shim stack they used , i think they charged me £50 to reshim and set up the fork how i wanted it , i was pleased with it when it was done as i was using a lot of the travel and needed the mid stroke support, i would give them a call if i was you and explain what you want, they are very good at what they do and the prices are ok as well, i do not have the fork anymore as i am using a boxxer that is also very good

How does the Boxxer compare to the 380? I was considering getting one of the new Boxxer Select forks but unsure if its really worth it, more of a side grade or even downgrade? Only considering it really because my 380 is getting a bit old now and parts are harder to come by if needed.

bat-fastard wrote:
The high speed compression adjuster adds mid stroke via a spring on the shim stack, it puts more force on the shim stack to stop it blowing off. The shim stack is more for mid stroke, it then blows off for high speed which is more the porting on the piston. Try adding more high speed compression first before changing shim stack.

Didn't realise that so will definitely try that first.

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 10:15 Quote
Hi, i have a 2017 boxxer, i am using a race springs only medium progressive fork spring and a standard tune charger damper, also use plush fork seals in it, the fork is very good, it is truly better than my 380 was, i dont notice any flex difference compared to the larger stantion on the 380, the fork spring has transformed how a fork feels to me, very plush at the start, brilliant in the mid range and have never bottomed it out yet due to the ramp up feel , i sold my 380 for more than i payed for it brand new so i did well there, i would try one of the new marzocchi forks though if i had a chance, my boxxer feels way better than a standard boxxer due to the spring, a lot of top racers and free riders use the same type of fork spring, it cost about £190 and is the best upgrade i have made in 12 years of bikes, in fact i fitted the matching progressive shock spring in september but only got to ride it for 1 day at dyfi in bad weather but that also is a great improvement over a linear spring, j-tech are very good and may have some marzocchi spares in stock still if you want to keep yours going for awhile, the 380 is a good fork but my boxxer is better, i would recommend finding a good second hand boxxer and modding that, cheers

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
I had the exact opposite experience with the boxxers. Both that i had were pure trash with the charger damper, other dampers were a different story, a 2015 and a 2017, basically the same forks though, as no changes between those model years. Green skf seals in both. The charger damper is the worst damper ive ever experienced. It is so bad compared to the 380, the midvalve in the charger is probably the worst setup i have seen. It makes it not absorb fast chop, and blows through the travel on big hits due to the ports on the compression piston being way to big. All of my forks get their bushings sized right off the hop to make sure they have the best sliding action possible. The boxxer bushings have generally been pretty good on size but those 380's ive found to have tight bushings in all of them which will make it feel awful. If you havent had them sized that might be why you didnt get on with the 380. There literally isnt a comparison between the boxxer and 380 when they are both running properly, stock. That being said, lots of aftermarket dampers for boxxer. Fast damper or avy damper and you have a winner right there, avy damper also available for 380. Agreed on chassis stiffness, I dont notice much difference either.

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 0:40 Quote
I agree with you on the damper, i usually only use 3 clicks from open on it, i am seriously considering swapping it out for a different damper, i have heard good reports on the avy one but it is not available in the uk so i would have to import it, which isn't a problem although i would prefer something more uk based if i needed to mess about with it, the ohlins one is expensive but not heard much about it, is the avy damper easy to service as i wouldnt want to keep posting it back and forth to the usa if you know what i mean, sorry my boxxers are a 2016 fork, my mistake

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 1:58 Quote
mark3 wrote:
I agree with you on the damper, i usually only use 3 clicks from open on it, i am seriously considering swapping it out for a different damper, i have heard good reports on the avy one but it is not available in the uk so i would have to import it, which isn't a problem although i would prefer something more uk based if i needed to mess about with it, the ohlins one is expensive but not heard much about it, is the avy damper easy to service as i wouldnt want to keep posting it back and forth to the usa if you know what i mean, sorry my boxxers are a 2016 fork, my mistake

had the avey in my 888, its an open both job. If you have vice and tube clamps its easy enough. Plenty of instructions etc to do it too. There was companies doing upgrades for the charger itself that where a good job. cant remember name of them now..

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 2:27 Quote
thanks, i see j-tech do and andriani piston kit for the charger damper, do you or anyone have any experience with this kit, it may be a good option as its £125 compared to 450 for an ohlins damper which to be honest is probably more than i really need as i dont race or plan to either, i just ride for fun

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 20:09 Quote
naturaltalent wrote:
I had the exact opposite experience with the boxxers. Both that i had were pure trash with the charger damper, other dampers were a different story, a 2015 and a 2017, basically the same forks though, as no changes between those model years. Green skf seals in both. The charger damper is the worst damper ive ever experienced. It is so bad compared to the 380, the midvalve in the charger is probably the worst setup i have seen. It makes it not absorb fast chop, and blows through the travel on big hits due to the ports on the compression piston being way to big. All of my forks get their bushings sized right off the hop to make sure they have the best sliding action possible. The boxxer bushings have generally been pretty good on size but those 380's ive found to have tight bushings in all of them which will make it feel awful. If you havent had them sized that might be why you didnt get on with the 380. There literally isnt a comparison between the boxxer and 380 when they are both running properly, stock. That being said, lots of aftermarket dampers for boxxer. Fast damper or avy damper and you have a winner right there, avy damper also available for 380. Agreed on chassis stiffness, I dont notice much difference either.
I had a 2018 380 slowly get really harsh over a season despite a few service and bushing lubes. Finally got the bushings resized and suddenly better than new! Then the next season I had to get it resized 2 more times, after what we could only assume it going back to it's original size. I then got a 2019 - the last of the 380- on sale and the bushings got crazy tight after 1 month of park use. I then had a kid so bike park time was extremely precious so decided to bite the bullet on the foxocchi 58. Bushing issues destroyed my fond memories of marzocchi from the 2004 888, then 66, 55, 350, 380. My new dh bike is a 29 so the marzocchi dream is over for now. Been 10 years since I was on another brand

Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 20:39 Quote
Ive also had many marzocchi forks over the years, definitely all had some sort of issues with the bushings, same as your experience. Ive been riding bos suspension for the last year and previous to that i have intermittently been on many other suspension products as well. It seems like the whole bushing thing in cast lowers is more prone to issues. Out of round bushing seats are an issue, on those cast lowers. Been exclusively on inverted suspension on the dh bike for a few years now. I havent seen any problems with bushings on any of the inverted stuff i have had from manitou, dvo and bos.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005274
Mobile Version of Website