Can a qr skewer wheel be converted 15mm thru axle?

PB Forum :: Tutorials
Can a qr skewer wheel be converted 15mm thru axle?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 24, 2016 at 18:47 Quote
im buying new forks and upgrading to ones with a 15mm axle, currently i have a QR skewer, i need to know whether i need to buy an entire new rim, a new hub, or if i can just buy a couple end caps or something for my current hub to convert it to a thru axle?

thanks, sorry if this thread already exists i could not find it.
thanks in advance

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 11:38 Quote
Depends on the hub brand and model but in general for most brands, yes it's a simple end cap replacement. The conversion caps usually cost are $25 or so and you literally just pull the old caps off and put the new ones in. Find you hub brand and Google (in my case Hope hubs) Hope qr to ta conversion and you will find if they have a kit. If they don't there was a guy making them for some hubs too, you'll find threads about them if he makes them for your hub brand. Hope that helps!

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 23:33 Quote
Diablo243 wrote:
Depends on the hub brand and model but in general for most brands, yes it's a simple end cap replacement. The conversion caps usually cost are $25 or so and you literally just pull the old caps off and put the new ones in. Find you hub brand and Google (in my case Hope hubs) Hope qr to ta conversion and you will find if they have a kit. If they don't there was a guy making them for some hubs too, you'll find threads about them if he makes them for your hub brand. Hope that helps!

so if i cant find a conversion kit for my hub brand than i have to get end caps made!? couldnt i just get any conversion kit that fits? and my hubs dont have a brand on them but i think they would be shimano im not too sure though as i bought the bike second hand with a different front wheel than stock. the hub looks pretty thin compared to the rear one if that makes any difference?

my hub looks like this:

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj5-aCrjNbKAhXiFqYKHXfwDF0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ridewill.it%2Fp%2Fen%2Fo-lite-432232003-hub-mtb-disc-superlight-front-wheel-236f-32-holes-black%2F45357%2F&psig=AFQjCNFn-8Bt0jYkUJ-hpaZIlkKSy9TQ4A&ust=1454399975931809

can it still fit a 15mm axle? or will a full hub replacement be needed?
thanks for the help

Posted: Feb 1, 2016 at 14:30 Quote
i have an old QR skewer end cap and hub so im not totally sure whether it can be converted. it would only be about 2years old. the end caps can be removed so im hopefull. does anyone know if it will be able to be converted if it is shimano and i get a dt swiss conversion kit like this:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-conversion-kit-qr-to-15mm-front/rp-prod81538

thanks

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015212
Mobile Version of Website