Turner to the dark side

PB Forum :: Turner
Turner to the dark side
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2016 at 12:44 Quote
Wow, so apparently turner now makes all their bikes in China, have gone full retard with press fit bottom brackets and don't make a 27.5 XC bike anymore? I've owned only Turners for the last 7 years but I'm gonna strip my flux down and make the transition to Transition, they're made in China but at least they have threaded BB and make cooler bikes.

Posted: Mar 3, 2016 at 11:39 Quote
Not sweet Turner, not sweet.

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 19:39 Quote
josesanchez89 wrote:
Wow, so apparently turner now makes all their bikes in China, have gone full retard with press fit bottom brackets and don't make a 27.5 XC bike anymore? I've owned only Turners for the last 7 years but I'm gonna strip my flux down and make the transition to Transition, they're made in China but at least they have threaded BB and make cooler bikes.

Whoa....go on. Where did you hear this?

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 21:29 Quote
Only the carbon stuff

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 15:13 Quote
Taiwan, actually, and yes, just the carbon (composite) frames, but that's Turner seems to be moving to with all their bikes, except for maybe the Sultan, which has been made in Portland, OR--it's unclear what's happening to Zen Bicycles, though. Turner is currently verifying the new Flux C for release in May-June (large first, then M & S to follow). Dave Turner told me that he believes this new incarnation is better than the previous aluminum version, V3.0.

Since Turner is a smaller-scale, dare I say, somewhat "boutique" brand, they have to compete with the latest technology. The latest technology is carbon frames, and they all comes from Taiwan and China. The consumer is to blame. People look at a $2000 frame and say, "why isn't it a 1/2 lighter, like Santa Cruz and Trek frames are?" Well, that's because the competition is carbon and made overseas. If U.S. companies could make and sell a carbon frame for a $1000 price point, I think they would. Enve isn't doing it; just look at the price of their wheels to see why. If people want bikes made in America and bikes made out of aluminum, then they better start buying a whole lot more of them. Their current buying patterns are forcing small producers to move to lower cost manufacturing of whatever is in "style." If you look to Turner's statements over the past few years, he didn't want to do 27.5" and didn't want to do overseas carbon, but he has to to survive.

I've ridden Transition's competition for the Flux, and it's no Flux. To each his own, though.

O+
Posted: Sep 11, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
It's a sad deal. I had a Flux 3.0 Raw for two seasons.....loved that bike. In the end my new Pivot Mach 4 carbon is the Turner I wanted, but they didn't have. Now the 4.0 is out, but it's pressfit not threaded, and is non boost, and has long chain stays. I really don't have a reason to change. If it had boost, was threaded and had more up to date stays I'd be in. Never have I had better service though than from Turner and look forward to going back to the brand when I can! We as riders need to support the small producers when they have a product that fits us, otherwise they won't be around for long. Guys like Turner don't come around very often!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008515
Mobile Version of Website