Saint M820 Brake Bleed Question

PB Forum :: Downhill
Saint M820 Brake Bleed Question
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 7:31 Quote
I recently decided to learn how to bleed my own brakes and my 1st go was with my M820 saints. I pulled the wheels off and removed the pads. They were stored on the other side of the garage during the process. As this was my 1st brake bleed, I did make a bit of a mess on the rear. I did much better with the front. Seems like a get better at it the more you do it type thing. Anyway I was very careful and cleaned the calipers with alcohol several times before installing the pads and wheels. The brakes feel good but now the rotors are howling when test riding on the street. I was VERY careful not to contaminate the pads or rotors. I even took the pads out again and cleaned them with alcohol and wiped the rotor down again. Still howling when testing on the street.

Before I spend coin on new pads I wanted to ask if this is normal and will go away on the 1st real ride or if it’s a given that I contaminated the pads.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 9:12 Quote
Mine did that (well with zee's) and I sanded down the pads and re broke them in and now it works like a charm (just make sure to ride the brakes a bit untill they're solid)

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 21:59 Quote
I have found that brake howling (caused most often by vibrations/harmonics building up) are caused by misalignment of the pads. Did you unbolt the caliper during the bleed?

If so, my guess is the caliper is bolted up slightly cock-eyed (relative to the plane of the rotor) causing excess vibrations. Also check that the pads are correctly settled into position and no bolts are loose.

I have also heard of people burning their contaminated pads clean (usually with a butane torch or something similar), however, I would try that as a last resort after checking all the other things I mentioned.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 7:22 Quote
Thanks, the calipers were not removed. I have a butane touch, so I'll try that before ordering new pads.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015200
Mobile Version of Website