Anthem Advanced and Advanced SX Weight and Other???

PB Forum :: Giant
Anthem Advanced and Advanced SX Weight and Other???
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 8:47 Quote
I'm looking to replace my stolen Scott Scale 900 Premium with either the Giant Anthem Advanced or maybe even The Anthem Advanced SX. I can't seem to find a weight for either of these two bikes, does anyone have a weight for a size large? Also any opinion on the difference in the two bikes, I like the idea of 120mm on the front of the sx but does it hurt it much for climbing. I have a Kona Process 153 for all mountain, the Giant will be for more xc riding but needs to be a pretty good descender too.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 11:08 Quote
The Anthem Advanced SX is around 26lbs without pedals,
Anthem Advanced 1 is around 24.5lbs without pedals,
Anthem Advanced 0 is around 22lbs without pedals.

These weights are for size medium frame and it's an approximate weight.

The Anthem is a XC frame. The SX is the same frame but with a longer fork. Better suited for more aggressive XC riders and will descend better.

Posted: Jan 28, 2016 at 14:07 Quote
jameshealey wrote:
The Anthem Advanced SX is around 26lbs without pedals,
Anthem Advanced 1 is around 24.5lbs without pedals,
Anthem Advanced 0 is around 22lbs without pedals.

These weights are for size medium frame and it's an approximate weight.

The Anthem is a XC frame. The SX is the same frame but with a longer fork. Better suited for more aggressive XC riders and will descend better.

Thanks. Not liking 26lb much but I suppose with the dropper post and longer fork that is to be expected. I would assume the carbon wheels are fairly light though so that would help it to feel lighter with less rotational weight. I think the SX will be the best option for me.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 3:46 Quote
I had the 2015 SX and now have the 2016 Anthem 1. The normal one is faster on xc trails barely but not much slower on the descents. In fact, if I had a choice (which I did), I'd go for whichever one has the drivetrain / brakes/ suspension you prefer. I picked shimano/fox over sram/rockshox. Better XT brakes is more important than 20mm of travel. The only difference between the 2015 SX and the 2016 Sx is the colour. Dropper is good on the SX but for the cheaper anthem 1 you can buy one. I put the 150mm contact switch on my anthem 1 and a shorter stem. Brilliant. Do not buy a second hand anthem advanced frame!

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 10:19 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
I had the 2015 SX and now have the 2016 Anthem 1. The normal one is faster on xc trails barely but not much slower on the descents. In fact, if I had a choice (which I did), I'd go for whichever one has the drivetrain / brakes/ suspension you prefer. I picked shimano/fox over sram/rockshox. Better XT brakes is more important than 20mm of travel. The only difference between the 2015 SX and the 2016 Sx is the colour. Dropper is good on the SX but for the cheaper anthem 1 you can buy one. I put the 150mm contact switch on my anthem 1 and a shorter stem. Brilliant. Do not buy a second hand anthem advanced frame!

Thanks for the info! I am rethinking my choice right now and I won't go with the sx, I really need a light XC bike and I already have an AM bike for more serious downhills. There is a Giant Demo day coming up in my area next weekend so I plan to demo the Anthem Advanced 27.5 and the Anthem X Advanced 29er.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 16:20 Quote
Well, I had one of those too! The 275 is faster on twisty undulating trails, and the 29 is great on more open trails and fireroad. I have a DH and bmx background and I prefer the 275. The 29 is fast if you can keep it at speed. The cornering grip is amazing. I prefer to drift and pump so 275 for me. I race and train a lot and strava everything. On my local xc trails my lap times are faster on the 275.

While riding the 29 I'd see a few things and think "I am going to double those up." but never did. Until I got the 275!

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 16:43 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
Well, I had one of those too! The 275 is faster on twisty undulating trails, and the 29 is great on more open trails and fireroad. I have a DH and bmx background and I prefer the 275. The 29 is fast if you can keep it at speed. The cornering grip is amazing. I prefer to drift and pump so 275 for me. I race and train a lot and strava everything. On my local xc trails my lap times are faster on the 275.

While riding the 29 I'd see a few things and think "I am going to double those up." but never did. Until I got the 275!

Great info, thanks.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 16:44 Quote
I never rode in the redlands area but I did hike there in the Mount Shasta area looking at the mtb trails. I think your trails are wide open in that loose dirt you find in your pine forests. 29 would work well. Our forests are much denser and have tighter corners, something that I never found in my three years riding in the bay area and norcal.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 at 20:09 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
I never rode in the redlands area but I did hike there in the Mount Shasta area looking at the mtb trails. I think your trails are wide open in that loose dirt you find in your pine forests. 29 would work well. Our forests are much denser and have tighter corners, something that I never found in my three years riding in the bay area and norcal.

I am in SoCal (from UK originally though) and where I ride a lot of the trails are tight single track but we do have wide open trails also so quite a variety. Please forgive me but are you from NZ or Australia?

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 3:50 Quote
brit955 wrote:
iamamodel wrote:

I am in SoCal (from UK originally though) and where I ride a lot of the trails are tight single track but we do have wide open trails also so quite a variety. Please forgive me but are you from NZ or Australia?

Australia. Canberra.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 3:56 Quote
You are going to have to forgive me: I was thinking of Redding, not Redlands.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 11:06 Quote
iamamodel wrote:
You are going to have to forgive me: I was thinking of Redding, not Redlands.

Yes I'm near LA and Palm Springs. My Son was in Australia last year (he is in the Navy) and he loved the place.
I would think that I would have more fun on the 27.5 than the 29er I'll see how it goes on the demo.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 13:33 Quote
iamamodel wrote:

Why do you say not to by a second hand anthem advanced frame? Are they faulty? I'm assuming the warranty is lost with buying used.

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 at 21:31 Quote
biketango wrote:
iamamodel wrote:

Why do you say not to by a second hand anthem advanced frame? Are they faulty? I'm assuming the warranty is lost with buying used.

Exactly as you say, both points. I assume that there will be a redesigned Anthem for MY2017 that hopefully fix the issues, or Giant will just do the math and figure it is cheaper to replace cracked frames than to risk having a heavier frame.

I don't think that 'faulty' is completely fair because it is a lightweight xc racer, it just doesn't seem to stand up to lots of singletrack under a hard charger.

If you buy a new bike and intend to keep it, it will be to your advantage - new frames for life, and the warranty process has been hassle free.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 15:42 Quote
Well I rode the Anthem Advanced 27.5 today and it's not the bike for me! I think I am going to stick with a 29er for xc. Probably go for a Scott again.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018796
Mobile Version of Website