Nutrition and Workouts for Athletic Performance

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Nutrition and Workouts for Athletic Performance
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
This forum is designed to allow people to ask specialized questions about proper nutrition and different workouts in order to increase performance, prevent injury, or to just feel better on a bike. I have read a few articles that have been posted about different workouts and I find them very informative to those who have not ever been introduced to workout routine designed to improve bike related skills, however, I wanted there to be a place where all levels of riders up to elite racers can ask questions and receive help and advice to continue to improve. Only so much can come from putting in countless hours on your bike, you would be surprised at how much training and nutrition off the bike will affect your performance.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 6:04 Quote
Definitely digging the idea for this thread. I am always looking for new ways to get better. After a lengthy time away from the gym, the past two and a half months I have been back at it with varying squat routines, deadlifts, kb swings, and other total body exercises I have been reminded of how much better your fitness makes your riding for endurance, speed, and the fun factor.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 12:04 Quote
Does anyone here use gels?

FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 12:42 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:

Yes occasionally; during racing or long interval sessions, not regular rides.

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 13:16 Quote
octanejake wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

What ones do you take? I had a super hard XC race today and someone gave me a SIS gel on my last lap on the verge on hitting the wall and it was a lifesaver.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 13:20 Quote
On longer rides our body's glucose and glycogen get depleted and you need to replenish it with carbohydrates. On longer rides i bring goo and sometimes a bar. If you have a bar make sure its like a power bar or one that has more carbs and sugar unlike the protein bars that are low in carbs. Protein bars are great for after riding and for recovery but you needs carbs to replenish what your body is burning.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 13:22 Quote
I was sponsored by hammer nutrition back when u raced xc and the hammer gel was a life saver! Some of the flavors were pretty good too. The also sell a squeeze bottle and you can put up to 4 servings in it. I would just keep it in my back jersey pocket and then wouldnt have to deal with opening any packs

FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 15:23 Quote
I use a maple syrup and maybe some salt mixed in, in a gel flask (reusable gel flask with a cap, Hammer nutrition has them), or Clif gels for commercially available gels work, prefer these over what else is easily available around here.
Really the only time I use them is high intensity where simple carbohydrates are needed fast so straight sugar basically, hence maple syrup. Fat or protein in the gel will slow down uptake of the CHO to some extent so there is that to consider during races. On long rides when I'm not worried about fast uptake, I'll skip gels and eat actual food.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 17:19 Quote
octanejake wrote:
I use a maple syrup and maybe some salt mixed in, in a gel flask (reusable gel flask with a cap, Hammer nutrition has them), or Clif gels for commercially available gels work, prefer these over what else is easily available around here.
Really the only time I use them is high intensity where simple carbohydrates are needed fast so straight sugar basically, hence maple syrup. Fat or protein in the gel will slow down uptake of the CHO to some extent so there is that to consider during races. On long rides when I'm not worried about fast uptake, I'll skip gels and eat actual food.

Honey is amazing because it is made with over 20 different tyoes of sugars that all get metablolized at different rates. We need fast energy but we need sustained energy as well. Also fructose is good because it causes a blood sugar spike but it does not cause insulin to get released which removes the sugar from the blood to be stored. This isnt a good thing if you are sedentary but for high intensity exercise its perfect! And honey is around 40% fructose. As for electrolytes, table salt (NaCl) is an electrolyte and can help perfomance but we get so much of it in our daily diet. If you have your honey on its own and the take electrolyte capsules then you will get better performance (and your honey will taste better:cookSmile . Taking electolyte capsules that contain potassium, calcium, chloride, and sodium rather than just sodium chloride will increase performance of your neuromuscular system and fight cramping! Our body needs and uses a lot more than just salt

FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 17:48 Quote
Use Nuun electrolyte tablets in water bottles, which is why I don't worry about added much to gels, maple syrup. Also prefer the taste of maple over honey.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2016 at 18:48 Quote
octanejake wrote:
Use Nuun electrolyte tablets in water bottles, which is why I don't worry about added much to gels, maple syrup. Also prefer the taste of maple over honey.

Honey is a lot better than syrup, the syrup wont give you as sustained energy as the honey. The maple will still be good but on the really grueling rides youve got to try the honey!

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 11:10 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
octanejake wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

What ones do you take? I had a super hard XC race today and someone gave me a SIS gel on my last lap on the verge on hitting the wall and it was a lifesaver.
Clif, Honey Stinger and Hammer are some good examples.

Like was said, a gel flask is handy so you can take sips as needed, but, I don't see many brands of gel that sell in bulk...

O+
Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 11:15 Quote
brianl wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
octanejake wrote:

Clif, Honey Stinger and Hammer are some good examples.

Like was said, a gel flask is handy so you can take sips as needed, but, I don't see many brands of gel that sell in bulk...

Hammer Gel has large containers of their gel, you can use it in their flasks. That is what I have used.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 17:57 Quote
mix both honey and maple syrup. could work. you get the taste of maple with the benefits of honey

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 17:59 Quote
Also, does anyone know a good 30 minute workout to burn fat/calories that i could repeat every dayto get ready for racing season. Obviously im already eating a healthy diet and riding regularly but i need something else. Perhaps sprint training? i used to use a road bike on a trainer but now i dont have the roadie and the mtb tyres are too loud

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.055938
Mobile Version of Website