how should i paint a new helmet?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how should i paint a new helmet?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 0:03 Quote
hey guys-i want to paint a new helmet. the manufactures say that paint will ruin the plastic or something, but it seems like something should be ok to use. i can get a sweet deal on a new fullface but i don't like the color, so i would be painting a brand new one with a glossy finish. also i'm not that picky about perfect, its gonna get scratched, but i don't want the paint to fall off faster than it should...
what is the process/order of things i should be doing? paint type/brand?
thanks for the info if you have it...

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 0:05 Quote
Generally only an airbrush job will suffice.

what paint are you using?

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 1:13 Quote
well i'm not using anything at the moment, i'm kinda waiting to hear some advice about what paint to use.... i'm curious if a certain type of primer and paint is best for a helmet (laquer, enamel...) i'm basicly in the dark on the subject of paint.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 1:17 Quote
well most or all helmet customs are done with airbrush

anywhere local that does AB??

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 1:41 Quote
Be really careful about painting helmets.

I'm a hockey goaltender (painted masks) , and I used to race openwheel race cars (painted helmets) and yes, if the wrong paints are used, they can structurally damage the helmet.

You need to find out what the composition of the helmet is. ABS plastic? Fibreglass shell? Carbon fibre? Kevlar/aramid? Different materials will mean different prep work and different types of paint that can be used.

Also, unless it's painted by a factory approved painter, your warranty will be voided.

Mike

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 1:42 Quote
Racer96 wrote:
Be really careful about painting helmets.

I'm a hockey goaltender (painted masks) , and I used to race openwheel race cars (painted helmets) and yes, if the wrong paints are used, they can structurally damage the helmet.

You need to find out what the composition of the helmet is. ABS plastic? Fibreglass shell? Carbon fibre? Kevlar/aramid? Different materials will mean different prep work and different types of paint that can be used.

Also, unless it's painted by a factory approved painter, your warranty will be voided.

Mike

good post

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 9:47 Quote
I just repainted my helmet with spray paint. if the helmet is a type of plastic then it should be fine, just use plastic spray paint. the only problem i had was getting clear coat on the foam, it sort of melts it.

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
I have almost the same question here. I have a black giro Remedy, I do believe the finish is matte. So it has some sort of texture to it. What kind of paint Am I to use to make it like glossy and smooth?

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:07 Quote
well... if you want it the same colour just put a couple coats of clear coat on it or if your re painting it just sand it down a little and put some gloss paint on it.

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
what will the clear coat do?

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
is it just to protect the paint underneath? Then why should I sand it?

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
sand it

masking tape the bits you dont want sprayed

spray it (at least 4 thin layers)

laquer it to give it protection and a nice finish

or you could conact mfx art

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 10:26 Quote
But do they have anywhere in Canada that I could get them to paint it. Cause theres a dude on pinkbike thats amazing at painting helmets but its 600 bucks a helmet. So instead you could just got like a Troy lee helmet.

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:54 Quote
dirtjumper25 wrote:
clear coat will make it shiney and protect it, i said sand the helmet if your going to change the colour of the helmet, like with paint but if you want that same colour that it is now just shiney then put clear coat on it...hope this clears things upBig Grin

Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 11:56 Quote
brentjj wrote:
dirtjumper25 wrote:
clear coat will make it shiney and protect it, i said sand the helmet if your going to change the colour of the helmet, like with paint but if you want that same colour that it is now just shiney then put clear coat on it...hope this clears things upBig Grin

It semi clears things up. Could I put clear coat then Change colour? Well I guess I could keep it black and then put some design on it. But I want a different Colour of black. Like take a look on Troy lee designs helmets. What kinda of paint do they use on their helmets.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009972
Mobile Version of Website