Please help choosing a sub $3500 AM rig: YT / Canyon / Kona / Intense, have I missed something?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Please help choosing a sub $3500 AM rig: YT / Canyon / Kona / Intense, have I missed something?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 21:08 Quote
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Here is the situation: I am a weekend warrior type fellow, kids, lots of work, returning this season to once a week out in the mountains of upstate NY. Want to do more MTBing, but I have ridden an XC HT for a past few years and finally feel ready to step up to a FS bike. Though I am nowhere at skill point to do any racing or technical downhill, I want to invest into a rig that will 1) increase my confidence on the trail; 2) allow for loads of skill growth without gear restriction; 3) be versatile enough for climbing and descending; 4) Be under $3500 as much as possible. I was looking at getting a SC Bronson initially, but am really not fond of their frames color choices or prices. So, after some research, I have come up with these bikes to choose from:
Canyon Strive AL 7.0 Race
YT Capra AL Comp 2
Kona Process 153
Intense Carbine 275 2015
(ok this one is a bit of an outlier, but there seems to be a good deal on it at Jenson and its the only one that would be a carbon frame AND well below budget).

Here's why I'm asking for help in deciding: I really want the Canyon Strive, but its a bitch to get over here to the US, in fact their rep just replied to me via email that they're 'hoping to start offering Canyon bikes in the US by 2018'. Seems like I might be able to use some of my military connections to ship it to a EU mil base and then to me here on USPS standard rates (or overpay hundreds of $ on shipping) and hope the bike makes it here undamaged after all this...Hassle+risks. Another downside of this bike for me is that it is well over my intended budget. OTOH, Canyon offers their shapeshifter switch which sounds exciting to try and is exclusive to that company AFAIK.

Next up, YT Capra seems great to read about on the net, but does not seem to be THAT much cheaper than some other offers considering it is a direct sale company. Canyon offers a better build IMO even if for a few extra hundred bucks. Also the shapeshifter (see above). As a side note, this bike in green looks great to me (yellow frame is even better, but that spec is below where I would like). They are sold in the US, no probs. I have no issues with doing most bike maintenance at home, mechanically inclined and learn just fine so far. If needed I also don't have a problem to support my LBS once in a blue moon for a fork service etc. even if out of pocket. Overall, I just hadn't heard enough about it I guess so I feel strangely neutral about, and its hard to throw $3500+ at something you are 'neutral' about.

Kona Process 153 is the most sensible option, has great components, people that rode it seem to be really happy with both its geometry and suspension design. There is actually a seemingly amazing deal on a Process here on PB that I could hop on (but at the moment kind of afraid to, since it would be my first FS bike ever AND the first used bike purchase at the same time, sounds stressful). Only real gripe I have (and its kind of a big one for me, I'm weird like that) is that I can't seem to get on board with the visual aesthetics of this bike. There's just not a feeling of wanting to throw the leg over its frame and crank pedals until the wind forces tears out the sides of my eyes.

Intense Carbine 275 Foundation Build 2015 (on sale @ Jenson for $2450). This one is on the list for three reasons mainly: the price is lowest of all the above, I love the way the frame looks, including it being carbon and it uses VPP, which people spoke volumes of it being a good suspension design. I am not at all sure I would be at peace with all the components of this foundation build, but since I would have saved a lot of $$ vs the above three, I could even swap a few things around to make it a better and longer lasting machine. I have Guide RS brakes with centerline rotors that I could swap in on it, the stock fork (X-Fusion Sweep RL) based on what I've read is actually decent, and perhaps I could replace the X-Fusion shock for something better and still end up paying less in total.

Current year model of intense tracer 275 I don't like the color scheme on, same for SC Bronson. And even if I got on board with Bronson's all black finish, RS Sektor fork and such is even less desirable than the $6399 starting price for a Pike build :-((

I know I can't be asking for an advice based on design preference, but here are some questions I am hoping someone with more experience may be able to answer:
- Is Canyon with all its shapeshifter glory really worth its hype?
- Is YT Carpa a better overall Bike than Kona Process?
- Is that Intense Carbine a really bad idea spec wise for what I am intending to use it for?
- Did I overlook something as great as above offerings on the same budget, like Transition Patrol, Banshee Rune or some Norco Range?
- Are there better options to be had in the big brand's lineup (i.e. Giant Trance, something from Spec/Trek models?

I've just been reading and comparing for so long that at this point all these tech specs, lingo and pictures are beginning to get smudged in a blur of information overload. I apologize for a long winded post, it's been sort of a merry-go-round for me trying to decide. Perhaps those of you who are fortunate to have more experience in riding FS as well as being more gear savvy could please help? Or at least eliminate something that I am really wrong about?

PS: I have also been waiting to see what Airborne Bicycles might offer with their FS AM bike release, but that project is still in proto stage and well over a year went by without any tentative dates, their website feels like it hasn't been updated in months for both news or stock inventories in spite of redesigns, so I no longer hold my breath on that one.

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 1:11 Quote
Look up the canyon shape shifter tread. Might change your mind about wanting one.
The rest are all solid options with actual manufacturer backup.
If you don't like the look of something don't buy it bikes are for pleasure why compromise.
But if nothing is jumping out to you keep looking.
Gut instict is usually right. No bad bikes really these days. Only real spec advise is avoid bikes with low end sram. Low end shimano (deore slx ) stuff still works great and is reliable, sram (x5/7)isn't.
I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride. Simply because I rode a cube fritz once thinking I liked the high spec low price of it ect and it was the worst bike iv ever ridden by a mile (turned out to be very snap happy aswell for my poor mate)
But I had a go on a spec enduro 29er thinking I'd hate it and I was blown away by how good it was.
Not much in it for a capra v kona really . main difference is konas better built. Capra better value when buying new.

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 1:57 Quote
Giant offers a great value for what you pay for and they have good warranty claims/customer service if you need it.

I'd look at a Trance 2 and perhaps think about upgrading the wheelset, conesting to 1x and/or just keeping the money.

The Reign 2 is a good option too. The Trance is better suited for trail/all mountain riding while the Reign is an enduro rig.

Make sure to test a bunch and see what you like. Also don't be afraid to buy used. You can find some almost new 2015/16 bikes for a good bit cheaper. $3500 would probably get you a carbon frame with upper-middle of the road drivetrain and fox factory/RS pike suspension on a used bike

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 13:05 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
Look up the canyon shape shifter tread. Might change your mind about wanting one.

From what I gathered, they had SS issues resolved with the 2016 SS module, but I hear you, another risk/potential hassle

markg1150 wrote:
I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to arrange for test rides at the moment, too busy a schedule at work.

Thanks for your feedback. Any thoughts on that intense carbine i mentioned?

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 13:35 Quote
Looks good that intense, solid build only thing I'd wanna change before riding it is the rear tire to something that rolls better but depends on what surface you will be riding on anyway so might work for you. Gives a excellent frame to start slowly upgrading / tweaking to what you want as your riding starts getting rowdy

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 22:00 Quote
have you looked at commencal any?

I'm in the SAME boat you are, but trying to keep my budget at 2200-3000 tops. Debating on "all mountain" hardtails vs full suspension, as i think the full suspension would be overkill for 90% of my local trails. with having kids, i only get to do maybe 6 day trips for epic trail riding.

I like to still bomb downhills and that's the only reason i climb.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 5:18 Quote
Check out orbea rallon as well I'm in the same boat as you looking for a new bike for ages now but just can't make up my mind.yt capra, strive or orbea rallon are my short list capra seem to have lots of cracks strive has problems with the shape shifter not heard much about the rallon tho

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 5:38 Quote
The new Nukeproof Mega 275 looks nice, spec is not bad either. Base model , Comp is £2500. I ride a Capra pro for last 18 month and love it , all I want now is the green one it looks mint, I will buy one in November if they knock 600 euros off them again.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 17:26 Quote
Turboduck01 wrote:
have you looked at commencal any?

I'm in the SAME boat you are, but trying to keep my budget at 2200-3000 tops. Debating on "all mountain" hardtails vs full suspension, as i think the full suspension would be overkill for 90% of my local trails. with having kids, i only get to do maybe 6 day trips for epic trail riding.

I like to still bomb downhills and that's the only reason i climb.

Turboduck01, I hear you, I was initially looking at sub $2500 ones, nothing really seemed.... future proof enough, I guess i could say. Not a combo of projected durability/performance I felt I could run with for at least 5+ years. Had high hopes for Airborne's enduro prototype, since they are budget oriented, good quality for the money and I already have few years of experience riding their Goblin 29 HT with nothing bad to say except that I really do need burlier bike for what and how I ride. Wheels, fork and lack of rear suspension cause too much pucker factor for me on the downwards portions, also I feel too unwieldy with the 29 wheels, on steeper slopes and with tight turns. So I started preparing myself mentally to dish out more $$ to spend less later. So far I've been able to convince myself pretty well, now I gotta deliver this to my old lady and brace for impact, hehe.

As to Commencal, I haven't looked into it, but at the same time I have no good reason as to why I haven't. Will check them out tonight. I'm guessing it's their Meta model that kept popping up in the past review research that I should look at first

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 17:34 Quote
mog1404 wrote:
Check out orbea rallon as well I'm in the same boat as you looking for a new bike for ages now but just can't make up my mind.yt capra, strive or orbea rallon are my short list capra seem to have lots of cracks strive has problems with the shapeshifter not heard much about the rallon tho

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a full sus bike by the end of tax season for sure. After endless reading/comparing and now with some feedback from this thread, Canyon is out for me personally not because of SS problems, which seem to be non-issue for 2016 models, but after asking around I no longer have a connection to ship from EU military base to US and so the price and risks of double shipping are too much hassle with such tight competition.

Intense Carbine I looked at really hard but after doing little math I think I wont be winning much since I would want to replace a shock and brakes at the least (not to mention previous suggestion to upgrade rear wheel to a burlier hoop)

Kona Process is bad ass spec but I'm not personally on board with that bike's looks, which is probably a big loss for me considering how people are raving about how 'playful' and 'confidence inspiring' it is, since that's exactly what I would like to find in a bike

Will also look at Orbea Rallon, thanks, hadn't heard of this one before.

O+
Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 17:50 Quote
mog1404 wrote:
Check out orbea rallon as well I'm in the same boat as you looking for a new bike for ages now but just can't make up my mind.yt capra, strive or orbea rallon are my short list capra seem to have lots of cracks strive has problems with the shape shifter not heard much about the rallon tho

The Rallon is awesome! I bit the bullet this spring and picked one up and I couldn't be happier. It's a go anywhere do anything bike. If ngrits you find yourself in Westchester county near Blue Mountain Reservation I have a medium if you want to give one a try.

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 17:54 Quote
Claptout wrote:
The new Nukeproof Mega 275 looks nice, spec is not bad either. Base model , Comp is £2500. I ride a Capra pro for last 18 month and love it , all I want now is the green one it looks mint, I will buy one in November if they knock 600 euros off them again.

Do tell about the YT Carpa discount? Though I have a feeling it must've been EU only thing, perhaps I should bookmark YT website to US page and keep tabs on them. Nukeproof came up for me, heard nothing bad about that one either, except that (IIRC) it was a tad heftier than the pack it was tested alongside with.

I am a visual person, I reckon that's probably why some bikes have been slipping through the nets of my research over the past year. I.e. I have always been strangely attached to the flowy lines of SC Bronson (in spite of lot liking their color schemes for 2015/16. In fact, an earlier response to my question in this thread about not being too afraid of considering used as same budget could net me a carbon frame of similar components, I went ahead and searched a PB marketplace, only to find out that there are in fact two SC Bronson carbon bikes being sold atm, both are within the budget and look very lightly scuffed with many new components.... And to that end, I would like bother this forum reader's base with this question:

What would you guys consider a better investment:
- brand new AL YT Capra Comp 2
http://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/546/sCategory/260

- Demo 2014 Bronson Carbon stock with XT brakes and Fox suspension
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1924917/

- Remodeled 2014 Bronson Carbon with mostly new XT components and Fox suspension, Mavic Crossmax wheelset
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1916726/

I am liking the looks of the yellow wheelset on yellow blue Bronson frame, but wasn't able to figure out what submodel(?) of Crossmax it is, some of them came up with poor reviews on the net and I have no experience to weight in. Against the YT, the latter has a Pike which everyone is really excited about, especially with that Charger damper that the YT would surely sport vs. the 2015 Fox Float fork.

Sorry to veer off track from the original posting's list, but that's where the replies steered me to atm. Going to go read about Orbea Rallon, Commencal Meta and Nukeproof Mega while I wait patiently for advice on that last one.

Cheers!

Posted: Feb 14, 2016 at 18:09 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
mog1404 wrote:

The Rallon is awesome! I bit the bullet this spring and picked one up and I couldn't be happier. It's a go anywhere do anything bike. If ngrits you find yourself in Westchester county near Blue Mountain Reservation I have a medium if you want to give one a try.

Hmm, Blue Mountain happens to be where I used to go ride before 'life happened' -)). I did just check Orbea website and it def looks sexy to it on top of some serious components. Going to go check out their website further, didn't find a way to show prices. Thanks for the offer to try one in real life, mog1404, I'll definitely go out there to try if I end up seriously interested in it!

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 9:50 Quote
ngrits wrote:
Claptout wrote:

Do tell about the YT Carpa discount? Though I have a feeling it must've been EU only thing, perhaps I should bookmark YT website to US page and keep tabs on them. Nukeproof came up for me, heard nothing bad about that one either, except that (IIRC) it was a tad heftier than the pack it was tested alongside with.

I am a visual person, I reckon that's probably why some bikes have been slipping through the nets of my research over the past year. I.e. I have always been strangely attached to the flowy lines of SC Bronson (in spite of lot liking their color schemes for 2015/16. In fact, an earlier response to my question in this thread about not being too afraid of considering used as same budget could net me a carbon frame of similar components, I went ahead and searched a PB marketplace, only to find out that there are in fact two SC Bronson carbon bikes being sold atm, both are within the budget and look very lightly scuffed with many new components.... And to that end, I would like bother this forum reader's base with this question:

What would you guys consider a better investment:
- brand new AL YT Capra Comp 2
http://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/546/sCategory/260

- Demo 2014 Bronson Carbon stock with XT brakes and Fox suspension
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1924917/

- Remodeled 2014 Bronson Carbon with mostly new XT components and Fox suspension, Mavic Crossmax wheelset
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1916726/

I am liking the looks of the yellow wheelset on yellow blue Bronson frame, but wasn't able to figure out what submodel(?) of Crossmax it is, some of them came up with poor reviews on the net and I have no experience to weight in. Against the YT, the latter has a Pike which everyone is really excited about, especially with that Charger damper that the YT would surely sport vs. the 2015 Fox Float fork.

Sorry to veer off track from the original posting's list, but that's where the replies steered me to atm. Going to go read about Orbea Rallon, Commencal Meta and Nukeproof Mega while I wait patiently for advice on that last one.

Cheers!

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 10:42 Quote
I think it was November when YT discounted the remainder of their 2015 bikes, with the pro having 600 euros off, presumably to make way for the 2016 range so don't get your hopes up bout getting any discount til the same time this year. I don't have anymore info on the Mega 275 for you unfortunately I've only seen it on chain reaction website. But, just to make your decision harder, have you seen or heard of Whyte(Bikes) G160 RS It looks gorgeous. PIKE 160 forks, Rockshox Monarch Debonair Rt3 ,WTB Asym i29mm rims, X1 shifters &chainset, SRAM Guide R 4 pots, Reverb Stealth, 13.5 kg, £2700. I can't find a review on it but the model it replaces G150 and the 130 (130 travel) models have first rate reviews. Have FUN!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012222
Mobile Version of Website