Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations
Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 4:31 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
altronulis wrote:
I decided to go for the medium. I think with the 50mm stem, it will be a nice compromise between fun/playful and stability. The extra standover clearance is also a welcome feature, though it might look a bit odd with a ton of seatpost. I'm just happy to have made a decision. Making this decision has taken too much time and brain function.
Post some pics when you get it. We need to get this page going again!

I most certainly will post some pics of the final product. I have just about every part acquired. I am missing a few knick knacks, I am getting some help building the wheels later this week. I'm pretty darn stoked about this build. Its going to be pretty much a dream build (with a tight-ish budget).

Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 14:18 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/news/what-is-the-forums-sexiest-amfrenduro-hardtail-of-2018-pinkbike-poll.html

Vote for the Chromag Stylus.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 4:19 Quote
Has anyone switched over to a wideangle? I’m thinking about selling my 2017 Stylus frame and swapping the parts to a new Wideangle frame. I love the Stylus but it is to much bike for my local trails and when I travel out west I take my Reign instead. I wonder how much better the Wideangle will climb and handle more undulating terrain. The Stylus is great on super steep tech but on normal midwestern XC trails it’s almost to much work anymore. Any input would be appreciated

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
I have a 2017 stylus and my nephew has a wideangle there about the same. He actually has a 160 pike and I have a 150 Yari. Stylus is a bit havier but im running 40mm rims with 2.8 and 2.6 maxxis.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
photo
photo
photo

Finally getting around to posting a few pictures of the Stylus I built up this winter. I first purchased the medium frame and rode it a few times. I decided it was too small. I then purchased the ML and sold the M. The ML with a 40mm stem is the sweet spot right now. Its stable when it needs to be, but nimble and super agile for a 160mm front end hardtail. This bike is awesome. The fork is a 37mm offset Lyrik RC with the Debonair upgrade. I am loving that set up. I tried the 150 assuming I'd prefer a lower front end, it was too low. The 160 is the ticket. I'm loving this bike. It hasn't required much to adjust to it coming from an Evil Following v1, though there have been a few "oh sh#t" moments because I forgot I was on a hardtail.

Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
photo

2016 Stylus size L 26” wheels 160mm Pike. Such a fun bike.

Posted: Jun 9, 2019 at 10:46 Quote
Somehow I missed this thread while I was building my Stylus. I took my time planning it and shopping for deals. It took about a year, but it turned out awesome!

Coming from a dirt jumper, I agree with the comments that the Stylus does feel long and not real responsive. I'm still learning how to jump this bike which involves a lot of leaning back. And it's slow going up or even riding on level trails. But when you point it down, everything suddenly feels right.

So here's the build:
• 2017 Chromag Stylus frame, 27.5”, M/L
• RockShox Lyrik RCT3 Dual Position Air fork
• Chromag HiFi 40mm stem with Potts mod
• Chromag Headset Spacers, 15mm
• Fubars OSX bars, 25mm Rise, 760mm wide
• Lizard Skins Danny MacAskill Lock-On Grip
• Cane Creek Forty ZS headset
• DMR - AXE Cranks - 175mm Armset and M30 Axle
• DMR - Axe30 BB - BSA 73/68mm
• Chromag Sequence 28 tooth chainring
• Crank Brothers Stamp 3 MacAskill Edition pedals
• Magura MT7 4-Piston Disc Brakes
• Magura Storm HC rotors, 203 mm Front, 180 mm Rear
• Jagwire hose/cable housing, yellow
• SRAM X01 X-ACTUATION™ Trigger Shifter
• SRAM XG-1195 X-DOME™ Cassette
• SRAM X01 X-HORIZON™ Rear Derailleur
• CHROMAG PHASE30 Rims with CHROMAG MAGNA Hubs
• Maxxis Minion DHF, 27.5 x 2.30
• Chromag Dolomite seatpost
• Chromag Quick Release clamp
• Chromag Trailmaster DT seat
• Mandatory Club Homeboy stickers

30.5 lbs in case you are wondering. I think I would use the low position on the fork more often if I put some 38mm high rise bars on it, as the front end feels a bit low to me, plus the brake levers hit the top tube. And I've been considering trying out the SRAM X01 DH 7 speed cassette with a 26 tooth chainring. That plus a few other minor items would drop it down under 30 lbs which, psychologically, would make it feel like a lightweight to me. Overall I'm super happy with the way it is for now and am going to ride the crap out of it this summer!

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 20:52 Quote
Looking for some feedback. Just sold my fs bike and looking to pick up a stylus or Rootdown. As this will be my go to bike I’m stuck on weather I should go Rootdown so I can run 27+ or 29 to give more forgiveness on the rocky rooty north shore trails. I believe the stylus max’s out the rear tire at 2.6 so I don’t think I could have the option to run a decent 2.8 in the back?

I’m looking at picking up a new stylus or Rootdown, also considering a clearance 2018 stylus as their cheap right now.

Any thoughts or feedback here would be great

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
PMac16 wrote:
Looking for some feedback. Just sold my fs bike and looking to pick up a stylus or Rootdown. As this will be my go to bike I’m stuck on weather I should go Rootdown so I can run 27+ or 29 to give more forgiveness on the rocky rooty north shore trails. I believe the stylus max’s out the rear tire at 2.6 so I don’t think I could have the option to run a decent 2.8 in the back?

I’m looking at picking up a new stylus or Rootdown, also considering a clearance 2018 stylus as their cheap right now.

Any thoughts or feedback here would be great

2.8 should fit, but a Rootdown BA with 29” would be a hoot.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 21:20 Quote
I am running 26 x 2.75 (granted on 29mm inner width rims) on the stylus but seems like there may still be a good amount of clearance. Id post a picture but the bead just failed this week on my rear tire and going with narrower until replacement arrives.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 4:27 Quote
I have a 2018 Stylus and a Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.6 27.5 on the back. I don't think there would be room for a 2.8 with treads like that, but maybe something a bit lower profile could fit. For me the 2.6 with aggressive tread is kind of the sweet spot. I think a frame as stiff and burly as the stylus would make 2.8's at proper psi feel too squirmy. In general, I am a fan of the 2.6 tire size.

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
I live and ride on the north shore.
I had a 2017 stylus with 2.6 for 1.5 seasons and now have a 2019 rootdown.

From what I remember 2.8 would not have fit on the stylus.

Especially if you don't plan on having a full suspension bike I would definitely go with the rootdown.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 19:54 Quote
KennyWatson wrote:
Especially if you don't plan on having a full suspension bike I would definitely go with the rootdown.

So you’re saying, you shouldn’t plan on a Stylus being your only bike? Can you expand on that?

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
BeKwik wrote:
KennyWatson wrote:

So you’re saying, you shouldn’t plan on a Stylus being your only bike? Can you expand on that?

There are a lot of variables of course, but for riding on the north shore, in my experience the rootdown is going to be a better tool for the job if you've only got one bike and want to be able to ride the widest range of trails and distances. A little slacker and a little more comfortable/stable thanks to the 29er rollover.

A big part for me is the length of the ride as well. I can ride basically any trail at 95%+ of the speed of my full suspension bike, but I can't maintain that for long. It's mentally and physically exhausting. Perfect for a 1.5 hour lap after work, but much more than that and I am reaching for my full suspension bike. The rootdown beats you up less than the stylus though so again it extends its utility a bit more if it's your only bike.

I see you live in Bellingham, if Galbraith was my local mountain as opposed to Seymour my comments about would not apply to the same degree. Theres a lot more to ride at Galbraith on a hard tail without getting your ass kicked.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
KennyWatson wrote:
BeKwik wrote:
KennyWatson wrote:

There are a lot of variables of course, but for riding on the north shore, in my experience the rootdown is going to be a better tool for the job if you've only got one bike and want to be able to ride the widest range of trails and distances. A little slacker and a little more comfortable/stable thanks to the 29er rollover.

A big part for me is the length of the ride as well. I can ride basically any trail at 95%+ of the speed of my full suspension bike, but I can't maintain that for long. It's mentally and physically exhausting. Perfect for a 1.5 hour lap after work, but much more than that and I am reaching for my full suspension bike. The rootdown beats you up less than the stylus though so again it extends its utility a bit more if it's your only bike.

I see you live in Bellingham, if Galbraith was my local mountain as opposed to Seymour my comments about would not apply to the same degree. Theres a lot more to ride at Galbraith on a hard tail without getting your ass kicked.

Exactly why I’m having trouble deciding which bike. Both will be a ton of fun but the if riding Fromme there’s so much rocky rooty riding that a 29er is appealing. It’s so easy to over think it. Also considered running a 170 fork with 2.6 tubeless at low psi, this could be a good combo for the janky tech.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015328
Mobile Version of Website