Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 20:55 Quote
KennyWatson wrote:
I see you live in Bellingham, if Galbraith was my local mountain as opposed to Seymour my comments about would not apply to the same degree. Theres a lot more to ride at Galbraith on a hard tail without getting your ass kicked.

Thanks for your feedback. The Stylus is my only bike right now, and I love it. But I made the mistake of sitting on a Santa Cruz 5010 the other day, and have been wondering if I’m missing out not having a full-suspension rig ever since. It felt really good...

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 21:51 Quote
I hear ya. My stylus was a fun ride no doubt. But yeah... 5010 has got to be a pretty close to perfect bham bike... Smile

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
finally got my 2018 Stylus (M/L). will post pictures soon, just need to finish assembling it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 13:54 Quote
2018 Stylus 2.8 rekons front and rear. super fun bike.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
PMac16 wrote:
2018 Stylus 2.8 rekons front and rear. super fun bike.

Great fork for that bike .

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
Nice bike, here's my 2018.

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 at 13:19 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
Great fork for that bike .

its been such a reliable fork cant complain. i've had it on a couple of bikes and its always done the job.

Posted: Dec 8, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
BeKwik wrote:
KennyWatson wrote:
I see you live in Bellingham, if Galbraith was my local mountain as opposed to Seymour my comments about would not apply to the same degree. Theres a lot more to ride at Galbraith on a hard tail without getting your ass kicked.

Thanks for your feedback. The Stylus is my only bike right now, and I love it. But I made the mistake of sitting on a Santa Cruz 5010 the other day, and have been wondering if I’m missing out not having a full-suspension rig ever since. It felt really good...

Don't worry boss you're not missing out on anything. I had a Stylus first then got a Hightower (first gen) last year. I always intended to keep the Stylus as it serves secondary roles as backup commuter and is a great bike for messing around on while I ride with the 4yo.

I appreciate that's not an apples to apples comparison but I find myself gravitating towards the Stylus more often for the trails, especially shorter (2h) rides. Talking your typical BC trails here. Don't get me wrong, the Hightower is an amazing bike. I would say climbing is a wash between the two. The Hightower has a somewhat slack seat tube angle compared to the Stylus. I find the Stylus is more responsive to body English on technical climbs but the Hightower is easier to power over stuff.

Going down, the Hightower will plow over anything and everything. You can be pretty lazy with line choices (compared to the Stylus). You'll feel like riding a few more laps at the end of a ride. The Stylus is way more fun though, up and down. I find myself looking for the jankiest lines or pumping the easiest berms and gentle bumps like I'm Gwin sans chain, even if it's the easiest trail in the park. After a year of riding both on and off, Strava tells me I'm getting faster no matter what bike I'm riding. I feel like the two bikes trade blows.

If the Hightower was a nice wine tour around Provence, the Stylus is like the best house party you've ever been to. I'll feel more tired after the house party and I'm usually ready to go home at the end of the night. And I'll certainly be hungover the next day, i.e. I feel more beaten up and achy after a Stylus ride than a Hightower ride. I don't think that's just the bike, the Stylus brings out a more aggressive style.

I'd say get a 5010 if you're doing longer rides or riding 7 days a week, if only for longevity. Otherwise keep the party rolling with the Stylus!

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 10:51 Quote

freakin' loving this thing. switching back to hardtail after a few years on a fs it feels great and is a ton of fun. It can definitely handle more then i will be able to throw at it. I haven't been having any issues with the 2.8 rekon in the rear. I have it setup tubeless and running 16-20 psi and still room so spare. a more aggressive tire might be too tight though. Running the stylus as a 27+ hardtail has be great especially for the shore tech.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
PMac16 wrote:

freakin' loving this thing. switching back to hardtail after a few years on a fs it feels great and is a ton of fun. It can definitely handle more then i will be able to throw at it.

Beautiful backdrop.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 13:07 Quote
ninjamoose161161 wrote:
BeKwik wrote:
KennyWatson wrote:

Don't worry boss you're not missing out on anything. I had a Stylus first then got a Hightower (first gen) last year. I always intended to keep the Stylus as it serves secondary roles as backup commuter and is a great bike for messing around on while I ride with the 4yo.

I appreciate that's not an apples to apples comparison but I find myself gravitating towards the Stylus more often for the trails, especially shorter (2h) rides. Talking your typical BC trails here. Don't get me wrong, the Hightower is an amazing bike. I would say climbing is a wash between the two. The Hightower has a somewhat slack seat tube angle compared to the Stylus. I find the Stylus is more responsive to body English on technical climbs but the Hightower is easier to power over stuff.

Going down, the Hightower will plow over anything and everything. You can be pretty lazy with line choices (compared to the Stylus). You'll feel like riding a few more laps at the end of a ride. The Stylus is way more fun though, up and down. I find myself looking for the jankiest lines or pumping the easiest berms and gentle bumps like I'm Gwin sans chain, even if it's the easiest trail in the park. After a year of riding both on and off, Strava tells me I'm getting faster no matter what bike I'm riding. I feel like the two bikes trade blows.

If the Hightower was a nice wine tour around Provence, the Stylus is like the best house party you've ever been to. I'll feel more tired after the house party and I'm usually ready to go home at the end of the night. And I'll certainly be hungover the next day, i.e. I feel more beaten up and achy after a Stylus ride than a Hightower ride. I don't think that's just the bike, the Stylus brings out a more aggressive style.

I'd say get a 5010 if you're doing longer rides or riding 7 days a week, if only for longevity. Otherwise keep the party rolling with the Stylus!

Spot on with that description, I have solely been riding hard tails and been on my stylus for almost two years now. I was able to demo a new high tower few weeks ago and while it is fast and fun its not a party. Post ride on the high tower, the first thing I noticed was that only my legs were tired unlike the stylus that just takes it out of your entire body. on another note I will be investing on a full suspension in the next year but I would't trade it for my hardtail.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010359
Mobile Version of Website