Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chromag Stylus Requesting Input, Ideas, & Recommendations
Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 21:10 Quote
I rode a friends briefly and I agree.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
I just changed my 2017 Stylus over from a 2017 Lyrik to a (year unknown) MRP Ribbon Coil). Now I loved the bike with the Lyrik but the Stanchions were damaged enough to consider replacing the CSU. However, I bought the Ribbon Coil used on a whim. The Ribbon Coil just made a great bike even better! Pairs really well with the Stylus. If you're doing a custom Stylus build then give the Ribbon Coil a good look. It's the ultimate in set and forget mountain biking!

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
ninjamoose161161 wrote:
I just changed my 2017 Stylus over from a 2017 Lyrik to a (year unknown) MRP Ribbon Coil). Now I loved the bike with the Lyrik but the Stanchions were damaged enough to consider replacing the CSU. However, I bought the Ribbon Coil used on a whim. The Ribbon Coil just made a great bike even better! Pairs really well with the Stylus. If you're doing a custom Stylus build then give the Ribbon Coil a good look. It's the ultimate in set and forget mountain biking!

2019 or 2020 would be the year of your Ribbon coil.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
Building a 2021 raw stylus. M/L (I am 182cm with a + ape index wanting a more DJ feeling bike, previous bike was the same reach of 465)

So far parts are left overs from old bike and new drive train

Stands flow MK3 rims, onyx hubs, shimano deore (cassette)/slx (derailleur) /xt (shifter/cranks) /XTR (chain) mix 12 speed and maxxis assagai F/R DD casing max grip with CC (rear only)

Cockpit is a chromag BZA 50mm stem, 35mm BZA bar, square wave XL grips, oneup EDC

Susp: RS pike RC with 160 travel

Dropper one up 170mm V1 with loam lever

Brakes are saints with 203 ice tech F/R and metallic pads

1) Does anyone use a dropper on their stylus and notice cable rattle with the internal routing? I can always add foam tubing to quiet that down.
2) I am using a 50mm stem as it came off my old bike but am curious if this is contraindicated with the desire of a "DJ" feeling bike?
3) Does anyone have rust issues? Should I treat the inside with a rust retardant?
4) I am slightly concerned that the pike is underwhelming but to be honest I have gotten used to the flexy nature of a pike. New full builds come with a zeb from Chromag, does that seem like overkill?
5) I know the brakes/tires are aggressive, they came off my old full squish and I ride the dark side of the north shore.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
Building a 2021 raw stylus. M/L (I am 182cm with a + ape index wanting a more DJ feeling bike, previous bike was the same reach of 465)

So far parts are left overs from old bike and new drive train

Stands flow MK3 rims, onyx hubs, shimano deore (cassette)/slx (derailleur) /xt (shifter/cranks) /XTR (chain) mix 12 speed and maxxis assagai F/R DD casing max grip with CC (rear only)

Cockpit is a chromag BZA 50mm stem, 35mm BZA bar, square wave XL grips, oneup EDC

Susp: RS pike RC with 160 travel

Dropper one up 170mm V1 with loam lever

Brakes are saints with 203 ice tech F/R and metallic pads

1) Does anyone use a dropper on their stylus and notice cable rattle with the internal routing? I can always add foam tubing to quiet that down.
2) I am using a 50mm stem as it came off my old bike but am curious if this is contraindicated with the desire of a "DJ" feeling bike?
3) Does anyone have rust issues? Should I treat the inside with a rust retardant?
4) I am slightly concerned that the pike is underwhelming but to be honest I have gotten used to the flexy nature of a pike. New full builds come with a zeb from Chromag, does that seem like overkill?
5) I know the brakes/tires are aggressive, they came off my old full squish and I ride the dark side of the north shore.

Cable rattle is definitely a thing. Use a Pike since you have one and in the case of a DJ feel then a Pike is a good choice. ZEB would definitely add a bit too much heft and you’d lose that DJ feeling you’re wanting. Same could be said about the Assegai combined with a ZEB, definitely makes for a front end that’s weighty. Stick with the Pike and then see how it handles and feels. Especially with the shortage right now for the new Rockshox and Fox.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 15:19 Quote
[Quote="austenselk"]
monsieurgage wrote:

Cable rattle is definitely a thing. Use a Pike since you have one and in the case of a DJ feel then a Pike is a good choice. ZEB would definitely add a bit too much heft and you’d lose that DJ feeling you’re wanting. Same could be said about the Assegai combined with a ZEB, definitely makes for a front end that’s weighty. Stick with the Pike and then see how it handles and feels. Especially with the shortage right now for the new Rockshox and Fox.

Once the assagai are worn I'll probably heap on a DHF or DHR, might try dual DHF as I am someone who recycled the front tire to the rear once the rear dies.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
[Quote="monsieurgage"]
austenselk wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:

Once the assagai are worn I'll probably heap on a DHF or DHR, might try dual DHF as I am someone who recycled the front tire to the rear once the rear dies.

Smart. I’ve used a DHF both front and rear, for a good two seasons before they were worn enough to have to replace. I enjoyed them overall.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
wow how have i missed a thread regarding the Stylus lol..

Anyways thought id share my Stylus 2014 26er custom built but not finished yet.

2014 Stylus 26 x2.4 cant go larger on front due to tyre clearance.
Chromag bars,stem, spacers,topcap,grips,saddle, chainring seat post clamp.
Shimano XTR drive train but old needs upgrade and sadly not done yet as gear ration is pants and my fitness too haha.
NOTE to self "get out more"
Shimano four pot XT brakes
few bits listed on parts.

Ride wise not bad but again if I get out more but after last bike being a 27.5 plus and 12spd, I am now seriously debating wether to keep and carry on finishing the build OR sell on get new Commencal meta ht frame ad bulld one them up OR new Chromag BUT problem with that is cost more and need to ship it from Canada.
I could and have already considered changing forks on current bike and get 27.5 wheels as can fit on rear but not on front.
gah bloody bigs, bring back days of one wheel size and more simpler bikes.

photo
rare stem from Chromag
photo

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 20:04 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:

Awesome! You'll love it. I really like that new natural colorway. I have a 2020 model, blue.
Your setup sounds pretty awesome to me. Good components.
1. No cable rattle at all. I'm running a PNW Bachelor 170mm / Loam Lever. The cable is in the tube only a few inches. It also has a nice rubber grommet when it enters the tube.
2. I happen to run a 50mm stem and love it, however mine is not set up as a DJ, more of an all mountain/enduro. I have long arms so it works well.
3. No real rust issues that I have seen, however before assembly I did smear a very light coat of marine grease on any internal surface I could reach.
4. Depends on what you're doing with the bike. IMO a Zeb isn't overkill if you're rowdy. This frame will take just about anything a person could throw at it. It will never be the weakest link. Fork preference comes down to what characteristics are most valued for the bike's intended purpose. The pike will be a nice choice also especially for your intentions.
5. Again, this frame will handle anything. I know your intention is more DJ but when you do take it out on the trails I think you'll find it an absolute weapon when set up aggressively.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 20:17 Quote
FLOWDogg wrote:

Very nice! That looks quite fun actually.
If you're wanting 27.5", no contest, I'd stick with that frame and change the fork.
I think it would be a blast as is however.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 2:24 Quote
JaxMustang50 wrote:
FLOWDogg wrote:

Very nice! That looks quite fun actually.
If you're wanting 27.5", no contest, I'd stick with that frame and change the fork.
I think it would be a blast as is however.

Yh I have thought about as i know can fit 27.5 on rear poss up to 2.3 max tyre and then change the forks etc. which is shame as got nice forks. Thinking by time done all that might ad well get more new frame etc.

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
[Quote="JaxMustang50"]
monsieurgage wrote:
Awesome! You'll love it. I really like that new natural colorway. I have a 2020 model, blue.
Your setup sounds pretty awesome to me. Good components.
1. No cable rattle at all. I'm running a PNW Bachelor 170mm / Loam Lever. The cable is in the tube only a few inches. It also has a nice rubber grommet when it enters the tube.
2. I happen to run a 50mm stem and love it, however mine is not set up as a DJ, more of an all mountain/enduro. I have long arms so it works well.
3. No real rust issues that I have seen, however before assembly I did smear a very light coat of marine grease on any internal surface I could reach.
4. Depends on what you're doing with the bike. IMO a Zeb isn't overkill if you're rowdy. This frame will take just about anything a person could throw at it. It will never be the weakest link. Fork preference comes down to what characteristics are most valued for the bike's intended purpose. The pike will be a nice choice also especially for your intentions.
5. Again, this frame will handle anything. I know your intention is more DJ but when you do take it out on the trails I think you'll find it an absolute weapon when set up aggressively.

Nice, I may shove some home depot foam down the tube, maybe something like a window seal or insulation. I also bought a 35mm stem for another bike and still have my 50mm chromag stem so I will see which I like more. Yeah, chromag said that in 10-15 years maybe rust might be an issue in the PNW but not really. I think when the pike does I will throw either a lyrik or zeb, which ever I can get my hands on. Lyrik may be a nice in between.

Do you have pics of your build? Hope to get my frame March but there have been so many delays.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

I'll get some better ones soon and post them too.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
JaxMustang50 wrote:
2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

BEAUTY of a bike. Good work man.

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
JaxMustang50 wrote:
2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

2020 Chromag Stylus
2020 Chromag Stylus

And you’re beautiful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023047
Mobile Version of Website