2016 Troy or Spartan

PB Forum :: Devinci
2016 Troy or Spartan
O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 8:08 Quote
hey guys, what are you running for shock pressures? Looking at the Troy, I am 200lbs and worrying I am gonna have to run pretty high psi

Posted: May 10, 2016 at 19:18 Quote
El-Train wrote:
hey guys, what are you running for shock pressures? Looking at the Troy, I am 200lbs and worrying I am gonna have to run pretty high psi

I run just above the highest PSI for the Pike and I think 245PSI in the back. I'm 230 lbs.

Posted: May 12, 2016 at 23:37 Quote
Hey guys just picked up a brand new spartan XP, and getting ready for opening day at whistler.
Hoping to get some feed back from owners:

-Noticed the wheel likes to roll and hit the frame on hard cornering or if I whip off of a jump, is this common? is there a solution to this?

-On a few of our more agressive climbs my pedals will hit the ground, especially in wash outs, is there a way to raise the BB?

-Rear Shock, what is everyone running for PSI, I am heavy 220lb, and I am running 250psi in the shock, and set on the hardest setting tend to bottum out on the bigger jumps

-Bike Cam spec'd with deores, first bike I have had that did not come with Formulas, can these brakes be prepared for a day at whistler or should I swap them out?

-I live in kelowna and bought the bike from a shop on the coast who shipped it up, so I did not get the luxury of talking set up with the mechanics

These are all minor, aside from that I am grinning every chance I get to ride the bike it is absolutely amazing! I am so happy I made the switch from DH specific ride.

O+ FL
Posted: May 13, 2016 at 7:24 Quote
What do you mean by hitting the frame? Are you talking rear wheel flying or something? I've never had that issue nor heard of it before.

Pedals hitting the ground could just take getting used to. It's a pretty low bb. I had a lot of strikes the first few rides and am just more aware of pedal position. You could try adjusting the geographic into the high setting, but it steepest the hta a bit as we.

For bottoming out the rear shock, you could install the rockshox bands. It creates a more progressive compression at the end of the stroke. That said, the way I understand it, the shock should bottom out on the big harsh hits. Thats how you use all the travel. However, it shouldn't be harsh. If it's harsh, then look into the bands. This is justy understanding from reading the internets, so take that with a grain of salt.

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 7:43 Quote
Id personally upgrade brakes cause i dont like the feel of my deores but if you like the feel youre golden. Maybe a 200mm rotor up front would help. As for pedal smashing i do it alot but thats cause i came off a thunderbolt which felt alot higher (dont know the exact mesurments). It could be that you just need to get used to it, as said by jojo, try the high setting. For shock setting Im 230 and running just about 250 psi with no added spacers and find it fine im not hitting anything massive. As for wheel rubbing i cant help you as i dknt go fast enougj for that to happen. Hope this helps

Posted: May 13, 2016 at 15:06 Quote
Awesome feedback guys I appreciate it!

In regards to the tire rubbing, it is just when I am cornering or hitting anything at high speeds, I came from a DH racing back round and this is my first Enduro rig

Suspension Wise: You are right, when it bottoms out its smooth, not bone jarring which I find awesome, maybe I will try those rock shock rings

Low BB: I am getting more used to it, once again DH background. In regards to the high setting, that is just that reversible eye lit on the linkage?

Thanks for the help again guys, first one of my friend group to get an Enduro rig, let alone a Spartan so I dont know many people to bounce questions off of

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 13:17 Quote
are you sure it is actually hitting the frame? I know sometimes when I bottom out hard or compress deep into my rear travel I will get some rub from the back tire on my cable housing for my dropper post (not on a spartan so perhaps the cable is routed differently) seems odd to me that you would hit the frame though....

how did it do at whistler??

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 14:12 Quote
DW99 wrote:
are you sure it is actually hitting the frame? I know sometimes when I bottom out hard or compress deep into my rear travel I will get some rub from the back tire on my cable housing for my dropper post (not on a spartan so perhaps the cable is routed differently) seems odd to me that you would hit the frame though....

how did it do at whistler??

I re did my cable routing, and it made a difference, I was rubbing on the derailleur cable mostly. I did find that at whistler I needed to run a higher psi than I am used to to avoid any major tire flex on fast corners etc. and that stopped the tire rubbing during compression.

Bike wise at whistler she was awesome! I was extremely impressed, coming from an Aurum and Demo 8, the only major difference I felt was in the front suspension, packed up easily which I adjusted with air and it helped. Rear end was surprisingly smooth, and could take alot without harsh bottuming. I was skeptical for the 1st half of the day and refrained from doing the fade to black trail drop, and clownshoes, and slayer. But by the end of the day she was doing them all no problem.

My only Negative feedback on the bike, is the chain comes off way too much, trying to find a chain guide before our next whistler trip, I was surprised they don't come with one.

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 15:07 Quote
hmmm i haven't heard of chain problems but good to know. does anywhere near whistler rent them? I will be out there next month and would love to give one a go....

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 16:00 Quote
I am not sure to be honest, give a couple of the shops a call? I know our local shop in Penticton and Kelowna lets you rent a demo Spartan for a day.

The 2016 wont experience the same chain issues, I bought a 2015 on sale which comes with a 2x10 drive train as appososed to the 2016 1x10 so that will make quite a difference on chain slop and chain falling off

Posted: May 24, 2016 at 16:38 Quote
Travis226 wrote:
I am not sure to be honest, give a couple of the shops a call? I know our local shop in Penticton and Kelowna lets you rent a demo Spartan for a day.

The 2016 wont experience the same chain issues, I bought a 2015 on sale which comes with a 2x10 drive train as appososed to the 2016 1x10 so that will make quite a difference on chain slop and chain falling off

ahh gotcha....good to know as well.

yikes spartan rental is 154 bucks a day!! wow.....hello whistler!! lol

O+ FL
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 10:09 Quote
Travis226 wrote:

This may seem obvious, but I have to confirm anyway. Are you running a narrow/wide chain? I converted from 2x10 to 1x10 and haven't dropped a chain yet on mine. Now, I haven't ridden whistler, but I've done a handful of rough tracks.

That said, I've been thinking about a chain guide as well just to be on the safe side.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 23:33 Quote
I haven't dropped a chain yet. I'm running a 1x10 setup with the Race Face Turbine Cinch crankset with the narrow wide ring and clutch rear derailleur. I'm adding a Blackspire TrailX which has the chain guide and built in bash guard right away to hit the bike parks.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 10:18 Quote
Just the bone stock 2015 set up, so 2x10 without a narrow wide or clutch derailler, so she is pretty loose.

I am taking it in for a service this weekend, and will most likely make the swap to a 1x10 narrowide

O+ FL
Posted: May 26, 2016 at 14:45 Quote
surprised to hear even the 2x10 dropping a chain. I didn't even waste time. I ordered the n/w ring before I even had the bike.

Though, my 2015 AL XP build came with a deore clutch derailleur. Surprised yours didn't.

-joel

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022693
Mobile Version of Website