Fox 36's are harsh

Posted: May 4, 2016 at 19:13 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
Has anyone with 2015 or 2016 Fox 36's found air pressure building up in the outer air spring leg. This can be tested by inserting a zip tie between the lip of the seal and the stantion. I think there must be a problem with mine with air passing from the air shaft seal from the negative chamber.

When I release the air in the outer leg, the fork feels amazing for 1 ride, then it builds up again... has anyone else found this?

According to this recent post the air seals were updated to fix that problem

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2015-fox-36-a-914572-38.html#post12611102

However, I also want to ask if you had the exact same issue before you modified the negative chamber?

Yes, I had air transfer problems before doing the negative spring mod and after. I've got the new air spring seal from Mojo and just fitted at the weekend and I put the fork back to standard negative spring volume, so I could feel if the fork was more sensitive with the softer rubber. I can say it wasn't any more plush. But I believe the softer seal is to address a different problem - the positive air passing to the negative chamber and reducing travel (sucking down). Mojo also said that in most cases this can be addressed by wiping excess grease off the air piston seal, just leaving a slither of grease on there...
May be in interested in one of your machined pieces as I find my 36's to be harsh too. Minus the big hits.

Posted: May 4, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
NormanPerez wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
TheUnknownMTBR wrote:

According to this recent post the air seals were updated to fix that problem

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2015-fox-36-a-914572-38.html#post12611102

However, I also want to ask if you had the exact same issue before you modified the negative chamber?

Yes, I had air transfer problems before doing the negative spring mod and after. I've got the new air spring seal from Mojo and just fitted at the weekend and I put the fork back to standard negative spring volume, so I could feel if the fork was more sensitive with the softer rubber. I can say it wasn't any more plush. But I believe the softer seal is to address a different problem - the positive air passing to the negative chamber and reducing travel (sucking down). Mojo also said that in most cases this can be addressed by wiping excess grease off the air piston seal, just leaving a slither of grease on there...
May be in interested in one of your machined pieces as I find my 36's to be harsh too. Minus the big hits.

I'm surprised how much difference it makes. I expected an improvement, but not so obvious. As you say, with the standard set up as you go bigger, the fork seems to perform.

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2016 at 12:29 Quote
I'm surprised how much difference it makes. I expected an improvement, but not so obvious. As you say, with the standard set up as you go bigger, the fork seems to perform.[/Quote]

I am interested. I find mine harsh unless I'm riding at race pace on rough trails

Posted: Jul 24, 2016 at 13:59 Quote
I bought mine 2nd hand, rang Mojo for the settings, i've been really impressed by them

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 0:06 Quote
Just an interesting point for you all on set up. Had my 36 180s dialed in for general UK aggro riding. Had much of the same problems a little too much dive and a little harsh but sorted with compression adjustment.
Sorted until taking to the alps..... After 30 minutes into full mega run practice my hands and wrists were knackered. I wound all lsc and hsc off and it was perfect from then on in.
Recent fork review August mbr I think confirms this.

O+
Posted: Dec 24, 2016 at 9:10 Quote
clemsi wrote:
Hi all!
Due to the harshness on the first inch I did a little oil service on my 2016er 36 fit4. Before that, I used around 70psi, now 65psi for same sag. But: I've recognized that by using less pressure the fork loses travel. at 50 psi it has only 150, instead of the 160. below 50psi the reduction goes on. I kniw that this is caused by the vacuum in the spring, but is this normal? Thanks!

I'm having the same problem with my 2017 Float Factory. Only 150mm of usable stanchion above the seal after a couple of rides. It's very frustrating as the forks are brand new and Mojo can only suggest that the travel adjust pin is in the wrong slot; which it isn't. As they're new, I really don't want to lose them for a few weeks due to sending them off.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Posted: Dec 28, 2016 at 13:51 Quote
2016 Float 36 RC2 owner here. I'll be sending mine to PUSH asap. The initial and mid stroke suck.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 13:11 Quote
I just want to put this here in case anyone is having the same problems with the negative spring in the 2017 Factory Floats (FIT 4) not balancing and not getting full extension. While it worked for me, I'd be interested if it worked for anyone else.

I burped the forks using a cable tie, then let all the air out. With the pressure as near to zero as I could get it, I compressed and pulled up on the forks repeatedly while keeping the Schrader Valve open. After a minute or so, I added 30psi and repeated (this time with the Schrader Valve shut, obviously). Repeat in increments until you reach the required pressure and, touch wood, the problem should have buggered the f**k off.

Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 13:27 Quote
chris-blakey wrote:
I just want to put this here in case anyone is having the same problems with the negative spring in the 2017 Factory Floats (FIT 4) not balancing and not getting full extension. While it worked for me, I'd be interested if it worked for anyone else.

I burped the forks using a cable tie, then let all the air out. With the pressure as near to zero as I could get it, I compressed and pulled up on the forks repeatedly while keeping the Schrader Valve open. After a minute or so, I added 30psi and repeated (this time with the Schrader Valve shut, obviously). Repeat in increments until you reach the required pressure and, touch wood, the problem should have buggered the f**k off.

Lay the fork flat. Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the air spring leg. Give it a small tap with a hammer to break the seal and release any air trapped in the lowers. Do up bolt. Notice top seals are not damaged by not using cable-tie technique.

Put a block of wood (or something else) between your tyre and the bottom of the steerer tube to keep the fork at full travel. Release all air from the valve. Go to bed. The chambers will have equilized by the morning. Refill air to normal psi.

O+
Posted: Dec 29, 2016 at 14:04 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
chris-blakey wrote:

Lay the fork flat. Loosen the bolt at the bottom of the air spring leg. Give it a small tap with a hammer to break the seal and release any air trapped in the lowers. Do up bolt. Notice top seals are not damaged by not using cable-tie technique.

Put a block of wood (or something else) between your tyre and the bottom of the steerer tube to keep the fork at full travel. Release all air from the valve. Go to bed. The chambers will have equilized by the morning. Refill air to normal psi.

Top info, mate. I'll definitely try that when they inevitably fail again! Cheers.

Posted: Apr 15, 2017 at 23:16 Quote
I finally fixed my Fox36.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2016-fox-36-harsh-990536-7.html#post13126415

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 5:45 Quote
t1chan wrote:
I finally fixed my Fox36.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/2016-fox-36-harsh-990536-7.html#post13126415
Which technique sir? Oil or machining new air seal?
Thanks in advance it's driving me crazy. Got 2015s smooth as silk on one bike and 2016s on another that are really harsh, no small bump at all. Interestingly the 2015s are talas 180s, and the 2016 are float 180s both factory fit4s. Could account for the different air side issues.

Posted: Apr 16, 2017 at 7:42 Quote
I machined a new air head for the seal to sit in. The original plastic head was out of tolerance. Oil alone will not help. The air seal compression against the inside of the stantion is the dominant cause of stiction.

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 1:49 Quote
t1chan wrote:
I machined a new air head for the seal to sit in. The original plastic head was out of tolerance. Oil alone will not help. The air seal compression against the inside of the stantion is the dominant cause of stiction.

Won't the aluminium seal head mark the inside of the stantion, I thought plastic was intended as a slider bearing?

Posted: Apr 18, 2017 at 2:19 Quote
t1chan wrote:

Edit- repeat post deleted

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.060513
Mobile Version of Website