Fox 36's are harsh

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 19:54 Quote
It was just a prototype. It will only mark up the stanchion if seal fails. Ive since gotten it machined in plastic

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 6:49 Quote
t1chan wrote:
It was just a prototype. It will only mark up the stanchion if seal fails. Ive since gotten it machined in plastic

Ah... I see. I did an alternative method to increase the negative chamber, by going further down in the leg. It works well, makes the fork more progressive though, so no volume reducers required...

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 at 21:34 Quote
How would that make it more progressive?

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 at 22:30 Quote
t1chan wrote:
How would that make it more progressive?
You are just changing the ratio between pos and neg volumes. Same as adding volume reducers in the positive. If you look on pinkbike, the new BOS Devilles just have adjustable neg chamber, not tokens that you add to the pos chamber

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 at 22:53 Quote
If you increase neg volume and leave pos volume the same, it makes it less progressive.

Posted: Apr 21, 2017 at 23:29 Quote
t1chan wrote:
If you increase neg volume and leave pos volume the same, it makes it less progressive.

Not in my experience..... that's exactly what I've done with my custom mod. I weigh 180 pound (13 stone) I have no volume reducers in, with the fork set at 62psi I get a really supple start to the first 25-30% of the stroke and don't use the last inch of travel even after doing 6 foot drop offs to flat.

Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 4:16 Quote
I've sold my fox 36, so if anyone is looking for an Andreani tuning kit for a 2015 - 2017 Fox 36 give me a PM

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 13:04 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
Had my pieces machined finally. You can see the difference in the negative spring chamber size between the standard negative retaining plate and the shortened one. I reckon it's about an increase of 60 - 70% in volume. This makes the start of the stroke much softer. You can reduce the effect by adding the 10mm spacers between the outer plate and the air seal plate. I'll be testing it for a bit and I will see if this mod is what they have done to the new 2017 Fox 36, and if not I'll get some machined and offered for sale.

Fox 36 air shaft with standard negative plate bump stop removed

Fox 36 air shaft with new machined negative retaining plate bump stop removed

Could you tell me pls the thread pitch and size of the machined part? Especially how long is the new neg plate tube?

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 13:16 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
t1chan wrote:

Not in my experience..... that's exactly what I've done with my custom mod. I weigh 180 pound (13 stone) I have no volume reducers in, with the fork set at 62psi I get a really supple start to the first 25-30% of the stroke and don't use the last inch of travel even after doing 6 foot drop offs to flat.

Im literally the same weight range as you, 185lbs, but I'm running like 50 psi with a volume spacer in. Fork is relatively supple but definitely feel like it could be softer. have yet to use the last 30mm of travel. I've considered moving down to 40psi but i don't want to damage the fork

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 23:10 Quote
gegi12 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
Had my pieces machined finally. You can see the difference in the negative spring chamber size between the standard negative retaining plate and the shortened one. I reckon it's about an increase of 60 - 70% in volume. This makes the start of the stroke much softer. You can reduce the effect by adding the 10mm spacers between the outer plate and the air seal plate. I'll be testing it for a bit and I will see if this mod is what they have done to the new 2017 Fox 36, and if not I'll get some machined and offered for sale.

Fox 36 air shaft with standard negative plate bump stop removed

Fox 36 air shaft with new machined negative retaining plate bump stop removed

Could you tell me pls the thread pitch and size of the machined part? Especially how long is the new neg plate tube?

I'm not sure, a machine shop matched it for me. I think they said it was a metric optical thread

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018473
Mobile Version of Website