Tire Pressure

• Previous Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 4:03 Quote
Hi! I was wondering what tire pressure I should run.. I am roughly 75kg, I run a hardtail.. I am asking because yesterday, I ran 30psi and I got a pinch flat on two places... I was wondering which tire pressure I should run...

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 4:35 Quote
There's lots of variables so it would help to know what type of trails you're riding and also what tyres and wheels you have. I'm assuming you're running tubes?

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 5:10 Quote
I don't think u should b getting pinch flats at 30PSI, I run that or little below and have no problems on my HT!

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 5:18 Quote
aljadepalaran wrote:
Hi! I was wondering what tire pressure I should run.. I am roughly 75kg, I run a hardtail.. I am asking because yesterday, I ran 30psi and I got a pinch flat on two places... I was wondering which tire pressure I should run...

30 psi should be more than enough. Remove tyre and tube and remove the old rim tape, replace with gorilla tape (cut to the length of your rim), wrap it around 2 times tightly. Use a pin to prick where the valve hole is and then make just big enough for a valve to pop through the rim.

Install tyre and tube, pump back up. (make sure the tube is centred in the rim by rolling the tyre back and too.

If your still having problems, you may have to try a different tyre-rim combo.

and if all fails, go tubeless! you'd already have made your rims tubeless ready with the gorilla tape.

Happy riding

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 9:52 Quote
Thanks... Is there any point in investing on tubeless? I am only getting into mountain biking so I don't have much in terms of experience...

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 10:08 Quote
You can definitely get pinchflats at 30 psi, especially on a hardtail.

It depends on terrain and how hard you're riding. I get pinchflats at 40 psi riding North Vancouver on a hardtail. Tubeless is a great option in this case.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 10:58 Quote
you should definitely go tubeless. Once you go tubeless you never go back. You can run lower pressures without worrying about pinch flats. This will give you better grip no matter what tire your running. Ive only gone flat on tubeless a couple times and that was because Iwas probably running the tires too low at 23 psi.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 11:11 Quote
SirChomps-a-Lot wrote:

It depends on terrain and how hard you're riding. I get pinchflats at 40 psi riding North Vancouver on a hardtail. Tubeless is a great option in this case.

Yeh for sure man, just pointing out 30psi should be good for most of the time on a hardtail, especially in the UK where most of the trails he will be riding should be fairly mellow in comparison to some of yours Smile

+1 for tubeless but might be quite daunting to set up, if your just starting off mtb.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 12:11 Quote
Stathamt wrote:
SirChomps-a-Lot wrote:

Yeh for sure man, just pointing out 30psi should be good for most of the time on a hardtail, especially in the UK where most of the trails he will be riding should be fairly mellow in comparison to some of yours Smile

+1 for tubeless but might be quite daunting to set up, if your just starting off mtb.

^^^^^^^this!! Tubeless sounds awesome but I cant b bothered ATM!

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
Because I don't know much about tubeless... Can I get a shop to do it and around how much is it? Also, if something goes wrong with the tubeless... Can I place tubes into the tires?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
Tubeless is easy to do. Get yourself a roll of Gorilla tape, some tubeless valve stems, and some sealant (Stan's, Slime, Orange) of your choice.

Step 1: cut the Gorilla tape to the internal width your rims and wrap the tape at least once around the inside of the rim.

Step 2: take a small pin and start a hole for your valve stem and install the valve stem.

Step 3: mount your tire leaving the last bit of the second side open, pour a couple ounces of sealant in tire and finish mounting.

Step 4: using a compressor, co2 cartridges or floor pump (with a floor pump you may need to remove the internal valve in the stems) to rapidly inflate your tires to seat the bead. Listen for them to pop into place.

Step 5: once bead is seated spin the tires and rotate from side to side to fully coat the inside of the tires with sealant.

Step 6: mount wheels on bike, set psi to your liking and go ride.

Total cost is about 15-20 us$

If you do end up with a flat on the trail you can use a tube in emergencies.

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
Do you worry about rim damage when going tubeless if you case your tire hard on a curb/rock lets say with such low pressures?

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2016 at 17:28 Quote
@Wolfdog I don't but I also run my tubeless a little higher psi than most. I'm pushing 200lbs with all my gear on. I run my front tires about 30psi. On my full suspension I keep my rear about 33psi and my hardtail rear at about 36-38psi. If it's real sloppy out I will drop the pressure on a ride for better grip but those are my standard numbers for everyday good conditions.

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 0:42 Quote
aljadepalaran wrote:
Because I don't know much about tubeless... Can I get a shop to do it and around how much is it? Also, if something goes wrong with the tubeless... Can I place tubes into the tires?

If u do get a puncture (rarely happens though from what I've heard) u can stick a tube in until u get a chance to fix it.

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 1:19 Quote
sam14thomas wrote:
aljadepalaran wrote:

If u do get a puncture (rarely happens though from what I've heard) u can stick a tube in until u get a chance to fix it.

+1

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009907
Mobile Version of Website