Tire Pressure

• Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 1:26 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
Do you worry about rim damage when going tubeless if you case your tire hard on a curb/rock lets say with such low pressures?

The fact that my tubeless setup stayed up throughout my stay in Morzine with the state of my rear rim (dinged), speaks of the effectiveness of the system, although the system did let out sealant, it stayed up! To be fair though, if you start sending things to flat, it doesn't matter if your running tubes or not!

28psi rear, 26psi front for me (90% of the time), lower if the conditions are sloppy, i'm 75kg. That's on a hardtail, full sus trail bike and DH rig

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 at 7:02 Quote
Ok great, the new bike I'll be buying has carbon rims so I don't want to be damaging those because the tire pressure is too low or anything. I've also never run tubeless before but I plan to with this new bike. I don't do large jumps but I do 3-5 ft drops pretty often. I'm assuming I will want to increase tire pressure for that kinda stuff. I can't wait to try out my new bike on the trails lol.

So smooth, flowy trails is best to find your normal pressures
From there, rocky terrain, lots of rock gardens, expected drops or jumps you should increase 1-2 psi from the normal.
Muddy, wet, slippery roots etc you should decrease 1-2 psi from the normal.

And I guess 'your normal tire pressures' would be the lowest possible tire pressure that doesn't burp?

Does that seem like a fair assessment?

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 1:51 Quote
Wolfdog wrote:
Ok great, the new bike I'll be buying has carbon rims so I don't want to be damaging those because the tire pressure is too low or anything. I've also never run tubeless before but I plan to with this new bike. I don't do large jumps but I do 3-5 ft drops pretty often. I'm assuming I will want to increase tire pressure for that kinda stuff. I can't wait to try out my new bike on the trails lol.

So smooth, flowy trails is best to find your normal pressures
From there, rocky terrain, lots of rock gardens, expected drops or jumps you should increase 1-2 psi from the normal.
Muddy, wet, slippery roots etc you should decrease 1-2 psi from the normal.

And I guess 'your normal tire pressures' would be the lowest possible tire pressure that doesn't burp?

Does that seem like a fair assessment?

Just ride your damn bike! haha

I only dented my rim badly due to landing 30+ foot jumps to flat. I can understand the worry with the carbon and that's why I wouldn't use them, unless you had a supply of them for free!

If your worry too much about your bike, it'll take the fun out of it. But in all seriousness 1-2psi won't make much difference to you destroying your carbon rims, increments of 5psi will make a difference. psh changes of 1-2psi if your racing and you'll only ever notice that diffn if your pushing your bikes to its limits.

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 7:53 Quote
Ya, good point. Thanks!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007373
Mobile Version of Website