Sexiest Trail bike.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest Trail bike.
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 11:28 Quote
seraph wrote:
VTwintips wrote:
seraph wrote:

I would definitely not want mismatched rim widths.

Why wouldn't you want mismatched rim widths?

I'd want wide rims front and back. Equal tire profiles is key.

Why is it key? You are just stating opinions without any support.

Like... from my understanding, most people prefer grippier and larger tires in the front with the reason being that back wheel washouts are just skids, but when your front wheel washes out... that means you eat it.

And by that logic, if you run the same size rim on the front and back, but have a larger tire up front, you aren't going to have the same tire profiles. You'll have a rounder tire on the front, so you'd need to scale up and put a wider rim on the front to compensate.

On that note ... as far as tire profiles go ... which is grippier? Square or round? Or is it more a matter of getting the tire profile that is correct?

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 11:31 Quote
Usually you have a wider tire up front as that's where you want some extra grip, so a wider rim to stop the tire rolling about makes perfect sense.
I've found wider trail rims also seem to be a lot lighter built to keep them at a competitive weight, so a narrower one could be more resistant to dents.

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Usually you have a wider tire up front as that's where you want some extra grip, so a wider rim to stop the tire rolling about makes perfect sense.
I've found wider trail rims also seem to be a lot lighter built to keep them at a competitive weight, so a narrower one could be more resistant to dents.

So in my eyes, the front rim doesn't need to be as strong as the rear rim. I've never needed to replace a front wheel, and rarely true them.

While I personally am running F630's front and rear, I'd prefer to have either a wider front rim of the same weight, or the same width front rim of less weight. If keeping tire profiles the same is the goal, it sounds like *ideally* I'd have a wider rim of the same weight to pair with the F630.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 11:39 Quote
Exactly that. Wider rim up front to allow better support for a wider tire at lower pressure.

Narrower rim out back to give more protection to the rim with a similar sized tire, or to better match the discrepancy between front/rear tire sizes.

Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 14:18 Quote
VTwintips wrote:
seraph wrote:
VTwintips wrote:

Why wouldn't you want mismatched rim widths?

I'd want wide rims front and back. Equal tire profiles is key.

Why is it key? You are just stating opinions without any support.

Like... from my understanding, most people prefer grippier and larger tires in the front with the reason being that back wheel washouts are just skids, but when your front wheel washes out... that means you eat it.

And by that logic, if you run the same size rim on the front and back, but have a larger tire up front, you aren't going to have the same tire profiles. You'll have a rounder tire on the front, so you'd need to scale up and put a wider rim on the front to compensate.

On that note ... as far as tire profiles go ... which is grippier? Square or round? Or is it more a matter of getting the tire profile that is correct?

Wide front and rear because I need to know that my tires have the same profile. It's a psychological thing. I run 2.8s front and rear with 36mm ID rims. I don't mix and match tires or rim profiles. It's a personal choice and it's been working out for the past few years.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2017 at 15:05 Quote
I've got a buddy who is similarly OCD. He also never tries new tires. Nobby Nics. All the time. He just likes the way they feel.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 9:44 Quote
glad to see some life in this forum. I kinda like it better than the enduro one out of a blue collar normal person type of perspective.

photo

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 9:45 Quote
poncho467 wrote:
glad to see some life in this forum. I kinda like it better than the enduro one out of a blue collar normal person type of perspective.

photo

If there were a black fork on this it would be even sicker.

Posted: Jun 16, 2017 at 21:10 Quote
I think it works better this way.

Posted: Jun 17, 2017 at 7:51 Quote
[Quote="prancisfena"]
photo

That is one sweet looking Smuggler. tup

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 11:52 Quote
fredro wrote:
photo

Wow, that red with the gold stanchions is stupid sexy Drool

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
I always thought those Commies looked amazing with the 'Zocchi Espresso stanchions. Kinda sad Fox decided to make Marzocchi into a run-of-the-mill suspension company.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015956
Mobile Version of Website