Remedy 8 worth it over the 7?

PB Forum :: Trek
Remedy 8 worth it over the 7?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 24, 2016 at 10:37 Quote
A little background: I'm still a newbie who has some experience with an older xc Cannondale hard-tail (3x8 drivetrain, 100mm fork) and most recently sold my 2015 Diamondback- "Hook" which had some nice modern features that appealed to me as a rider way more than the xc bike I had like a one-by setup, wide bars/short stem, etc.

This would be my first jump into dual suspension. I still need to really look into SRAM's new-ish "GX" drivetrain but it's kind of a toss up between a 2x Shimano Deore drivetrain or a 1x11 GX. I haven't used a front deraileur in a while but I'm not too opposed to a 2x system especially if the Shimano has better components over the "budget" GX. The 8 comes with a Rockshox Pike which, I assume, is a lot better than Revelation but I'm sure both are worlds better than the entry level Suntour.

These two models cost a few times more than the Diamondback I had so I just want to make sure this chunk of money goes to the one that makes me happy the longest Smile Thanks for any help!

FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2016 at 13:42 Quote
IMHO yes it is worth it. Both the wife and I have Treks, she has a Remedy 8 2016 and I have a Slash 8 2016, the Pikes are an awesome fork, the GX shifts so smoothly and the 1x11 gearing is just right.

Dan

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2016 at 22:53 Quote
I have a Remedy 7, and just upgraded parts to where I wanted it. In the end my 7 now costs more than the 8 but I have the exact bike I want. Plus I found some smoking deals along the way which also helps.

Posted: Apr 14, 2016 at 3:50 Quote
nhyc00's right. Same here, upgraded most everything on it. I've got a badass bike, but if the 8 is spec'd right for you go for it.

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 16:34 Quote
Danmcdan wrote:
IMHO yes it is worth it. Both the wife and I have Treks, she has a Remedy 8 2016 and I have a Slash 8 2016, the Pikes are an awesome fork, the GX shifts so smoothly and the 1x11 gearing is just right.

Dan

I second that! I just picked up the 2017 remedy 8 and absolutely love it! With the 6" of plush travel front and rear this thing bombs jumps and drop-offs and lands like you're riding a cloud. Quick positive shifts and the gear ratio is perfect. I set mine up tubeless at 28psi and the Bontrager XR4's grip great. And pair of Chromag contact pedals keep me well planted.

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
So I think I going to try and pull the trigger this spring and get a XL Remedy 8 from my LBS. I demoed the 9.8 this summer and loved it. I'd love to get the remedy 9 but I don't think the wife would let me spend that much. I'm ok with most of the parts on the R8 but here are a few I'd like to change out ASAP:

-Sell the pike on craigslist and get the new MRP Ribbon or stage for the front end (I've got a buddy who has a buddy who can help we score one.
-See if my LBS can upgrade the wheels set to either the bontrager Line Elite or something else that's lighter, wider, and with a good easy to service hub (live in the wet PNW). I've also seen some new take off boost wheelset on PB and CL for$400 with decent hubs and wheels.
-Upgrade the brakes from the Deore to either sram RSC or shimano XT. Like to keep in the sram family so as to utilize the matchmaker clamps.
-MRP chain guide and bash guard.

I don't know much about the KS eThirty integra dropper that it comes with, is it worth the upgrade up front or later?

What do you guys think?

Posted: Oct 21, 2016 at 11:35 Quote
Damn..I should've bought the "8" when I started working at Trek. No more discount for me, haha.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014235
Mobile Version of Website