over sized head tube

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
over sized head tube
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:23 Quote
all cannondale chase's have 1.5 headtubes, but from 2006 and up, they have been putting forks with 1 1/8 steertubes on the bikes. most of them anyway

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:27 Quote
^^^ You can by reducer headsets. My Wilson has a 1.5 headtube, but my Dorado is 1/18. FSA for example has the Orbit Extreme 1.5R which allows you to run the smaller diameter steer tube.

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 17:29 Quote
ya, i forgot to say that lol. i had a chase and i had to buy a reducer. a cane creek one

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 9:55 Quote
Yea, lets just add weight to all our bikes for no reason. I am by no means a weight weenie, but why put a big head tube on a frame that may actually weaken the frame, then put a reducer on it that would not need to be there since you are using a normal fork on the bike anyhow. Gimmick?

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
ricar wrote:
Yea, lets just add weight to all our bikes for no reason. I am by no means a weight weenie, but why put a big head tube on a frame that may actually weaken the frame, then put a reducer on it that would not need to be there since you are using a normal fork on the bike anyhow. Gimmick?

Couldn't the exact same thing have been said when they went 1" to 1 1/8"? Innovation isn't a science, the only thing a company can do is put the idea out there and see if people take.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 at 10:09 Quote
OnePointFive is a gimmick folks, don't flame on me for this, but it is true. The ONLY place they would make any sense is with the new era of long travel single crowns (above 160 mm). OnePointFive is just a way to make people spend money. As it becomes the "industry standard" people will be forced to spend money, be it in the form of a new fork or a reducer headset it is money for the industry no matter what. It is just like oversized bars. If you are running 25.4 mm bars and are spending just as much as you would for a good 31.8 bar, you are not going to break them unless you are just doing stupid sh*t. Anyway, yeah, that is about all I have to say.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012049
Mobile Version of Website