Best weight savings

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Best weight savings
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 11, 2016 at 23:15 Quote
I'm looking for the best way to reduce the weight of my 2015 Trance.2. I've already installed an Easton Haven bar. Should I upgrade to a 1X11 drivetrain or carbon wheels? Thanks for your input.

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 at 23:49 Quote
ApexIt wrote:
I'm looking for the best way to reduce the weight of my 2015 Trance.2. I've already installed an Easton Haven bar. Should I upgrade to a 1X11 drivetrain or carbon wheels? Thanks for your input.

Hello!

What's the exact weight of your bike? Pedals included?
I have also installed the Haven bar. Going he 1x11 way, you gain some weight, depending on the cassette. However first do some evaluation if the range will be enough after that conversion. Also, keep in mind that a 1x11 drivetrain is not as smooth as a 2x. Because of the chainline.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 20:22 Quote
ibex wrote:
ApexIt wrote:

Hello!

I have also installed the Haven bar. Going he 1x11 way, you gain some weight, depending on the cassette. However first do some evaluation if the range will be enough after that conversion. Also, keep in mind that a 1x11 drivetrain is not as smooth as a 2x. Because of the chainline.

Weight is 30lbs on the dot. Going to test the 1X11 route with my brother's bike, he converted a few months ago and loves it

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 11:51 Quote
ApexIt wrote:
ibex wrote:
ApexIt wrote:

Hello!

Weight is 30lbs on the dot. Going to test the 1X11 route with my brother's bike, he converted a few months ago and loves it

How about range?
With a 32 ooth chainring, 42 tooth cog, I don't have a comfortable climb ratio for steep climbs or long ones.
Does he?

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
Tires and tubes. I'm looking at saving 1.5 kg by replacing DH High Roller 2s and tubes with tubeless Hans Dampf on my Tues.

My 29er trail bike (soon to be 27.5+) came with a 32t ring and I ended up at 28t to be comfortable climbing.

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 21:44 Quote
Tires always make a huge difference for me more so than other stuff. Try throwing on like maxxis ikon 2.35 in the rear... Those are way light!

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 5:20 Quote
Wheels and tires. Rotational weight is best to reduce.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2016 at 7:38 Quote
Nickd268 wrote:
Wheels and tires. Rotational weight is best to reduce.

This.

Also, depending on the amount you're willing to spend, you can probably drop ~1lb by changing to a carbon crank with a direct mount ring (i.e. sram xx1) and going 1x.

Honestly though, Nickd268 is right--reducing your rotational weight will amplify the weight savings because the energy required to get the wheels spinning will drop and make your bike feel much more responsive. If you're running the stock wheels on your Trance II, changing over to something like a set of Stan's Rapids or even a carbon wheel will totally change your machine (those stock rims are terrible).

Keep in mind that if you're going to drop several hundred bucks on wheels, you'll definitely want to get rid of the QR hub in the back and convert over to 12x142. The whole conversion will be about $100. You'll need a conversion kit from Giant as well as a 12x142 maxle (make sure you get the Giant brand axle, as the threads on the conversion kit are proprietary (screw that)).

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008861
Mobile Version of Website