Carbon dilemma!!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Carbon dilemma!!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 11:00 Quote
I am thinking about a bike to buy but the carbon has be damaged on the down tube should I do it or no.

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2016 at 10:03 Quote
gougeon27 wrote:
I am thinking about a bike to buy but the carbon has be damaged on the down tube should I do it or no.

Not much of a di-lemma. If that is all the for-sale ad say I wouldn't even think about it.

If it is just the clear coat is scratched or flaking - and there's no squishy bits - then no big deal. If the carbon is damaged at all then I would forget it. Share pictures if you want a proper answer.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 6:18 Quote
captaingrumpy wrote:
gougeon27 wrote:

Not much of a di-lemma. If that is all the for-sale ad say I wouldn't even think about it.

If it is just the clear coat is scratched or flaking - and there's no squishy bits - then no big deal. If the carbon is damaged at all then I would forget it. Share pictures if you want a proper answer.

Yeah, pics would be helpful. Carbon is very repairable, but everything has it's limits. Depending on the damage and your skill level, you may be able to repair the damage yourself, or there are people who do this kind of repair like Calfee, or BME Design, but it may be expensive. I might consider buying a damaged carbon frame, but I definitely wouldn't pay much for it, knowing that I'll have to either fix it myself or pay someone else to do it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033881
Mobile Version of Website