Any Eastern26 riders out there?

PB Forum :: Other
Any Eastern26 riders out there?
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
I was wondering if there were any Slash riders out there? I would like your input on your whips! I just purchased one and was wondering if there was anything you liked or disliked about the bike.

Later - Nate

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 16:45 Quote
There aren't any people who ride Eastern mountain bikes? Come on I know I've seen a couple. Come out, come out, where ever you are.

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 6:03 Quote
I RIDE THE DJ 4 AND I LOVE THAT BIKE. I AM ACTUALLY GETTING SOME OF THE NEW 08 STUFF WHEN IT COMES OUT. HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR SLASH

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:17 Quote
Don't know yet haven't got it. The seller hasn't shipped it yet!

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 7:25 Quote
I was wondering, if anyone rode hte slash keep us updated when you get it. I ride a Night Train and thats pretty sick. All the Easterns are pretty sweet. IMO

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 8:22 Quote
According to Eastern's website it is a do it all fully. I plan on making it a freeride bike so it should be interesting, I'm doing two fresh build ups for the spring. A DH bike and the freeride build on the slash. The seller put a crappy rear shock on so I'm swapping it out for my Swinger 4way that is already setup; should be super plush!

Posted: Mar 10, 2008 at 15:25 Quote
the 08 slashes are pretty sick imo. even come with a totem and other nice parts.tup

Posted: Mar 10, 2008 at 15:29 Quote
Yeah the 2008's are looking good, especially the Night train.Eek tup

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 1:51 Quote
I just got my 07 Slash 5 (coil). It's got some cheesy forks and shock I need to get rid of, possibly sticking a Fox fork on the front and maybe a Fox or Rockshox Vivid on the back, depending on the sizes I can find.

Other than that, it seems to be a solid bike, and fairly light as well. Maybe not a super-duper hucking off of 2 story buildings, Bender-drops bike, but good for just about any real-world riding you're going to do.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
I ride the Eastern Slash 5" and like it. It is built like a slopestyle bike with great geometry. Apart from cheap suspension (which can easily be switched out), it's a great bike.
Be careful when changing out your rear tire. I bought a slightly bigger 2.35 and the front der hits the tire when in the small ring. I added a Blackspire Stinger and it works like a champ.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 2:51 Quote
Ok, here's an update on my 07 Slash 5.

Frame: No problems here, I've been doing lots of drops and suchlike stuff, no whimpers from the frame or rear end yet. Looks solid.

Fork: Crappy. The internal rebound adjuster broke off and now it's got undampened rebound, which means it makes a loud "KTHUNK" sound every time I get the front wheel airborne, pull a manual, etc. Also, it's not progressive at all, and slightly oversprung.

Rear suspension: Pretty decent, I would have liked a compression adjust, though. Right now, the spring has to be set quite stiff to keep the bottoming down, and that makes the small bump response pretty much crap.

Drivetrain: WEAK WEAK WEAK. I hit something with the rear derailleur and bent the crap out of it, had to bend it back by hand and now it shifts kinda notchy. The bike really needs a chain tensioner, chain device, etc. Every jump makes the chain fly around wildly and oftentimes makes the chain skip off the front chainring if you land hard.

Wheels: Strong, but I put a slight dent into the rear while doing some "street riding". Very nice, I have pulled 180s without a single problem with the rims going out of true. The hubs are very nice, from a looks standpoint and they seem strong. Bearings still going strong as well.

Tires: Nice, but they wear down pretty fast. Understandable, since I have to ride in the city to get to my trails I ride.

Brakes: Terrible. Out of the box, they were unadjusted and had a lot of play in the levers, so I set them up to my liking. They had great stopping power and didn't fade too much, for about a week. Then, one of the master cylinder plugs on the lever fell out and I lost the rear brakes, right in the middle of a steep descent! The next day, I lost the front brakes as well. >Frown Retarded design, seriously. Since then, the rear brake doesn't want to bleed correctly, as I have put about 2 pints of fluid through it, followed the instructions provided by Hayes to a T, and still, the lever only starts doing something when it's almost at the bar. Horrible design overall, and I will be buying Avid Juicy's as soon as I start "upgrading".

Accessories: The Pivotal seatpost is nice, seat hasn't moved a millimeter since I set it up. Seat itself is a little small for long seated rides, but for a slopestyle bike where you're almost always standing, it's fine. Stem is great, holds strong and looks nice. Bars say "AM/XC" on them, which scared me at first (I thought they would be weak) but they have held up to some large drops without damage.

Other noteworthy stuff: The rear suspension pivot bolt keeps coming loose. Probably because I haven't Lock-tite'ed it yet, but just letting you guys know. Every couple days I tighten it back up, a few days ago I found it so loose that you could spin the nut by hand! Pretty scary to think what would happen if it vibrated out during a long downhill section. The front shifter is meant for a three-speed unit, but there's only two speeds up front. That annoyed me personally, they could have either stuck a purpose built unit up there, or just made it a single speed up front and eliminated some of the cost, weight and hassle. I may just do that on my own. The bashguard is quite strong, as I have hit it against a cement block that I was trying to get up onto and it barely left a mark. Had the guard not been there, I would be straightening the chainwheel for days.

That's it for now. More info as events warrant, y'all. Salute

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 18:02 Quote
I have built my Slash from the ground up! It is definitely where I want it now as far as specs go, only thing I'm thinking of upgrading is the spring on the VanR. Here are some pics:

photo

Click on the photo to get some of the specs!

photo

photo

photo

This is the coolest seat I've seen in a while, RealTree camo too!

So what y'all think?

Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
The shop I work at is an Eastern Dealer, no 26"s though

Looks like a totally boss slopestlye rig

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
luli79 wrote:
I have built my Slash from the ground up! It is definitely where I want it now as far as specs go, only thing I'm thinking of upgrading is the spring on the VanR. Here are some pics:

photo
Click on the photo to get some of the specs!

photo

photo

photo
This is the coolest seat I've seen in a while, RealTree camo too!

So what y'all think?

That is LEGIT, where did you buy just the frame since you said you built it up?

Posted: Jul 12, 2008 at 0:34 Quote
Yeah, built it from the ground up, bought the frame off ebay, swapped out the shock and did my own build up and spec'd it out myself.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024554
Mobile Version of Website