Post Your Specialized SX

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Specialized SX
Posted: Jul 17, 2017 at 9:28 Quote
fenrirtheviking wrote:
Went and got my bike pretty much all finished up today, wide ratio 11-42 cassette, e13 chain guide, new 3c DHR in the back and a new chain. Now I should be able to pedal up hills and come down haha
photo
photo

What drivetrain setup are you using? I'm trying to do the same with my 2012 sx trail but I don't know which rear mech would work best with the 11-42.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 1:31 Quote
Just wanted some expert opinions on this bike. 2007 sx trail 3.
I'm just getting back into riding after 3 years and mainly enjoyed DH at highland bike park in NH. I am in charlotte nc now that's why I haven't rode for a while but there's a pretty good trail system here mostly xc and some dirty jump features here and there. I'm looking to get back into it so do you think this is worth 600 bucks for my style and terrain?

What should I look for and ask before buying? Thank you for your advice.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 6:23 Quote
Best bike I ever owned.. 2008 SX trail. I would think 600 is a bit high, but if is in great mechanical order there really isn't an issue. If there is anything above regular tune up, it might be a nightmare unless you can do you an wrenching. Make sure the front and rear shocks are in decent working order, no wear on the sliding parts. Or budget 200 each end to rebuild. Rebuilding the fork is pretty much mandatory at this point, but if you are adventurous, about 20 dollars in parts and oil.

1) wiggle cranks if the he BB rattles, that's 60 bucks
2) wheel front and back wheels front to left laterally across the frame, I'd the wheels move back an forth a lot the hubs are toast
3) spin wheel to see how straight they are, also listen for rotor rub..
4) test brakes
5) stand behind the bike and look straight down at the deraileur, is it straight?
6) take for a ride and test the shifting and brakes
7) if the rear gears struggle going up into easier cogs, dial out the barrel on the shifter. If they rear gears have trouble going down into harder gears, dial it in. 1/4 turn at a time.
Cool good luck!

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 8:48 Quote
I picked up a Large 2009 specialized SX w/ the low BB chip, last fall in an effort to improve for my local ski resort's annual Dual Slalom series, here in Michigan http://www.mtbrighton.com/summer/mtn-biking/downhill-mountain-bike-racing. Some of the parts came off of my 2008 Turner 5-spot (my previous dual slalom rig), like the rear wheel, crankset/bb, rear cassette, chain, headset, brakes, handlebar/shifter/bar-mojo, and pedals. Amazingly, I was able to obtain the remainder of parts I needed to finish up the bike directly from PinkBike's classifieds (an amazing reservoir of great parts), like a terrific Rock Shox Argyle 20mm (2010) coil spring fork, chain guide device, seatposts + seat (one shortie for racing, one long one for trailriding), and minor misc. bits. And, I did remove many of the previous owners 'race stickers'! Confused

All I can say is this bike has allowed me to improve quite a bit this season. Sure, I'm turning 50 this year, but I'm still trying to eek out a bit more tricks to add to my hopper. I love how the bike's low BB lets one settle into the berms, and the low leverage shock sucks up the backside of doubles if I don't quite clear them. A very confidence inspiring bike, and it's made my 2017 season a truly memorable and fun one. One thing I didn't expect is how much I love riding this bike on my local trails. Sure, I whack my pedals frequently because of the low BB, but this bike excels at making the same trails one regularly rides, into a fun playground again - hopping off features and whipping the bike around was never quite this fun. If you can find one of these gems, don't hesitate!

photo
photo
2009 Specialized SX dual slalom 4x
Views: 55    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 20:44 Quote
After some contemplating, all night research, your comments and last minute meet up I bought it. He had a buyer lined up for tomorrow but would rather sell today and local, not drive an hour to me the other potential buyer. We Worked out a fair deal for both of us. He had it listed at 700 I got it down to 550.
I like the geometry off the bike, I feel really comfortable on it. It's a little beat up on the paint, front forks don't lock, the rear shocks need too be stiffer but seems like iit may work for my needs. 50/50 trail and dh. No seals are leaking or bearings making any noise. Tires are true.
I guess next is to bring it to my lbs for a tune and see what my upgrade options are for a front fork. I'm sad they don't make 26 inch bikes like this anymore.
I'm stoked to go ride again. I'm turning 38 next week so it's perfect timing.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 20:59 Quote
They don't make bikes this this anymore in any wheel size.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2017 at 9:39 Quote
Has anyone tried the 2.8" minions on their Sx yet?, I am also looking at getting a 2008 large SX again and building with modern components. Can anyone help me measure the seat tube on a large? I want to install a dropper, but of course do not want to hit the rear shock.

thanks a million!

Posted: Aug 26, 2017 at 6:40 Quote
Hey All,

I must say this thread has been unbelievably informative and all your bikes look great.

Background: i had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a 2012 SX Trail on pinkbike that came pretty banged up (need new wheelset, rotors, etc.) and i'm going to probably overhaul most of the bike. Good news, i now have an SX Trail!

The bike was listed as a medium and came with a Custom Van RC 450. Yup, you read correctly, Medium Frame with a 450 spring. I'm about 5'9" and 190(ish) all geared up, so this isn't going to work in the long run. Haha, the spring arrived preloaded almost 50% of the way down.

Question 1: Looks like people have been pretty happy with the air conversion/yoke swap, so I'm considering making this change myself. What has been everyone's general thought as to the the best rear air shock for this bike?

Question 2: Need a new set of rims (crossing my fingers the hub is alright, will look later today) since my lbs was unable to get them trued 100%. Any recommendations on rims/potentially a wheelset for this bike?

I'm more geared towards trail riding, but don't find the bike to be as difficult to pedal as some have mentioned, yeah, it's built for the park/mini DH, but it can certainly handle trail hills with a little TLC.

Appreciate the help and if you guys have any used parts (rear air shock/rims) give me a shout.

Thanks,

TShaq

Posted: Aug 27, 2017 at 8:47 Quote
TShaq wrote:
Hey All,

I must say this thread has been unbelievably informative and all your bikes look great.

Background: i had the unfortunate experience of purchasing a 2012 SX Trail on pinkbike that came pretty banged up (need new wheelset, rotors, etc.) and i'm going to probably overhaul most of the bike. Good news, i now have an SX Trail!

The bike was listed as a medium and came with a Custom Van RC 450. Yup, you read correctly, Medium Frame with a 450 spring. I'm about 5'9" and 190(ish) all geared up, so this isn't going to work in the long run. Haha, the spring arrived preloaded almost 50% of the way down.

Question 1: Looks like people have been pretty happy with the air conversion/yoke swap, so I'm considering making this change myself. What has been everyone's general thought as to the the best rear air shock for this bike?

Question 2: Need a new set of rims (crossing my fingers the hub is alright, will look later today) since my lbs was unable to get them trued 100%. Any recommendations on rims/potentially a wheelset for this bike?

I'm more geared towards trail riding, but don't find the bike to be as difficult to pedal as some have mentioned, yeah, it's built for the park/mini DH, but it can certainly handle trail hills with a little TLC.

Appreciate the help and if you guys have any used parts (rear air shock/rims) give me a shout.

Thanks,

TShaq

I also just got a 2012 sx trail. I bought the frame and built it from the ground up. I got the Hope pro 4 DH loops off chain reaction. Their pretty awesome and fairly priced if you buy them together. I have the van rc on mine but I have a DHX coil on my other sx trail. I definitely prefer the DHX. I also put an 11 speed wide range cassette on and it works flawlessly. I do mostly trail riding and DH on mine.

Posted: Sep 12, 2017 at 16:15 Quote
I currently own a 2008 Specialized Sx trail 2 and am perplexed by its geometry. It seems that the geometry numbers are very similar to new bikes coming out today. Was the SX trail geometry ahead of its time? It seems just as long, low, and slack as modern enduro bikes. For example, the Sx trail has a slacker head tube angle, shorter chainstays, and a similar wheelbase to the new Kona Process. If anyone could shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2017 at 12:33 Quote
It also has a super low bottom bracket............

Posted: Sep 22, 2017 at 8:58 Quote
Yea! That's why I think I liked the process 153 so much and ended up buying one, very close to the same geometry as my 09 SX Trail. I wonder if I could get the SX to pedal halfway as well as my Process, but Im afraid to find out now that I have invested so heavily in the 153.

FWIW my SX trail weighed a little over 40 lbs w/ DH rubber, and a coil shock and fork. Ole orange Kona weighs in at 34, with big enduro tires, a db air, and 2x gearing. The SX was a dog to climb with the coil suspension.

Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
Hello! new to pink bike. Here is my specialized sx!

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2017 at 20:57 Quote
That's so sick! What kind of pedals are those?

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 3:11 Quote
Fazeless wrote:
That's so sick! What kind of pedals are those?

Look like old gen Crank Bros 50-50 to me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.036849
Mobile Version of Website