Best bike rack for downhill bikes

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best bike rack for downhill bikes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 6:54 Quote
Looking for a new bike rack that can carry 3 downhill bikes, I have seen the Witter ZX503 Cycle Carrier which seems to be the best option at the min. alot of bike racks have clamps this one seems to have an arm for each bike with a ratchet strap.

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_carriers/buyCycleCarrier.php?partNo=ZX503

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 11:03 Quote
that might be the ugliest rack ive ever seen.

what about a hanging rack? this ones only 2 bikes, but might be a 3 bike somewhere.
http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Softride/SR27041.html

ive got a few friends with thule or yakima platform carriers. they tend to have the arm that clamps on the tire, which works for any bike with a tire.

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 21:22 Quote
I love my Kuat NV, you can buy the extender so it can carry four bikes. Took mine over 1300 miles on its first trip and was completely stoked on it! Solid as could be, even in high winds, bad roads, and high speed driving.

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
Marcus, did you ever get a rack? I'm struggling with the wheel base on my large YT Tues Pro, I've used a friends Thule roof rack before and the front wheel slider is basically off the rack as the bike is too long.

Anyone with any recommendation for silly long bikes ??? Most websites don't even have a wheel base measurement, very annoying.

Posted: May 29, 2017 at 10:48 Quote
If you have a receiver hitch the Thule T2 is the benchmark.

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 13:26 Quote
North shore racks

Posted: May 30, 2017 at 21:41 Quote
X2 for Northshore racks!

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 8:15 Quote
100 Precent would recommend a north shore rack

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 8:28 Quote
good friends love their NS rack. simple and strong. with 3 of our DH bikes on it, it's solid on even the shittiest shuttle roads.
rather surprised that nobody has mentioned 1up racks.

Posted: Jul 10, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
North Shore racks all the way, hour away and customer service is great, expect a lead time on a build as they're a very popular brand generally 4-6 weeks Smile

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 12:03 Quote
I would love to buy the Kuat nv but the problem is the type of hitch. In europe we work with a towball so the kuat won't fit. Anybody has an idee for a rack with european hitch standards suitable for 2 downhill bikes?

Posted: Jul 19, 2017 at 15:25 Quote
Sver wrote:
I would love to buy the Kuat nv but the problem is the type of hitch. In europe we work with a towball so the kuat won't fit. Anybody has an idee for a rack with european hitch standards suitable for 2 downhill bikes?

Depends what size of DH bike you have- with most decent racks the fitting only become an issue when you are L or XL.

Have a look at the Atera Strada range. https://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/bike-carriers-racks-range-towbar-mounting.php

If I was doing it again I would buy one of them. I have a Thule G6 and it's a poor design- the straps are in a fixed position and aren't long enough- not so much of an issue in row 1 and 2 but 3rd row is slightly different and difficult to fit longer bikes. I asked Thule if they made longer straps to which they replied not for that model but were making some for another rack and that I should have asked which rack was most suitable from one of their dealers- helpful....I just told them it's their flagship model- that means it handles everything for 3-4 bikes- if the bottom of the range can do more then there's got to be an issue.

Anyway- the Atera looks a much better design for accommodating different wheelbase lengths . Everything else looks more or less similar to mine so should work well and be stable. I've carried a 29er with 1243mm wheelbase on the 2nd row. It's the 3rd row that I have the issue with.

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 2:41 Quote
I'm in the more "problematic" range, having a YT Tues XL which is a very long bike. At the uplift services in Italy I was having a lot of problems with the bike coming loose being to long lol Somebody having advice for a bike carrier that's big enough for big bikes? Only need to carry two at max .. I took a look at the Atera Strada range, but at first sight I can't seem to find any information about max length of the bike ..

Posted: Jul 20, 2017 at 9:39 Quote
DrOzone wrote:
Sver wrote:

Depends what size of DH bike you have- with most decent racks the fitting only become an issue when you are L or XL

Anyway- the Atera looks a much better design for accommodating different wheelbase lengths . Everything else looks more or less similar to mine so should work well and be stable. I've carried a 29er with 1243mm wheelbase on the 2nd row. It's the 3rd row that I have the issue with.

There's my second problem. I have an YT tues and YT jeffsy, both large, and i'm driving a renault trafic, which has a straight back door. According to the specifications of the atera it's a little bit closer to the mounting point and will result in banging my bike bar-end against the back window.

Posted: Jul 21, 2017 at 6:17 Quote
mmm, you guys have long bikes lol - in fact, I'm looking at an XL Tues myself although it's only 1mm longer wheelbase than a Large Giant Glory.

I hadn't really thought about lift access issues and bikes not fitting on that- I'd be annoyed if I can't fit the rack at Fort Bill/ Glencoe- hopefully not an issue for me. There is a worrying trend that things like carriers aren't keeping up with bike development- bike bags are another area- EVOC just released a new bag and I remember looking at it and thought the wheelbase was just woefully inadequate and have they had their head in the sand for the last 3 or so years.

Update- had a DH bike on the rack last night- 1237mm wheelbase. Interestingly it was the size of the rims that were an issue and I had to compress the tyres in order to ratchet the strap. Rims were DT Swiss FR1950 so had quite a deep profile.

A YT Tues XL definitely wont fit on mine using the current Thule straps so I will need to use a couple of Fasty straps

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013333
Mobile Version of Website