New Niner Air 9 Alloy Build

PB Forum :: Niner Bikes
New Niner Air 9 Alloy Build
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2016 at 16:51 Quote
Hello guys,

Back to pedaling after a (long) while and about to put together a custom build starting from a brand new Niner Air 9 Alloy frame (2016).

I test rode a Niner Air 9 Carbon a few months ago and felt in love with the geometry, an improvement from my Trek Marlin. At this point I'm not that concerned about weight and since money is finite I went Alloy.

So, here's the list of things I already have:

- Niner Air 9 Alloy Frame 2016, L size. I'm 1.80m, but when I tried the M frame (recommended by the LBS guy) I din't quite feel comfortable, the L sized frame, while noticeable larger, fit me just fine.
- Mavic Crossroc wheels + Roam (2.2") tires. I found these at a very decent price online ($280 for a brand new set). Might not be ideal but good enough to start.
- Shimano XT M8000 1x11 (34t // 11-42). I mostly ride flat trails with no steep hills, that's why I went 34t, I also wanted a clean setup, I might consider a 2x setup later on if I feel I need it.
- Wheels Manufacturing PF30 BB for Shimano 24mm cranks. This was a recommendation from the LBS guy, I'm new to PF30 and $90 seemed like a lot for a BB but the guy swore it was good stuff and definitively a good investment. He'll be putting this setup together and he is OK with other stuff I'll buy from other places so I thought it was fair enough.
- Shimano XT M8000 brakes (180mm/160mm)
- Niner Alloy seatpost, handlebar (710mm) & stem (100mm). These are cheap stuff. Let's see how it goes.

I'm yet to buy a fork, I found a good deal for a new Rockshox SID XX (100mm) with lockout ($620) but have also considered a cheaper Reba RL and even going rigid. I like the hydraulic lockout in the SID because I have to pedal a significant distance of paved roads to get to the trails but that's it, not that I need a remote lockout.

So, what do you guys think about this setup? Any thoughts on the fork? What about the wheels/tires, anyone riding those Mavics?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 18:31 Quote
And here's the final build, couldn't be happier!

Posted: Jul 23, 2016 at 17:25 Quote
wow i love the paint on that frame. i let an air 9 slip away recently, still on the market for something tho. do you think that frame would fit 27.5+ wheels and tires? where i live the trails are 30% dirt and 70% root, so the squish of a plus bike would make a hardtail a much nicer ride.

Posted: Sep 18, 2016 at 15:46 Quote
This frame won't fit a 27.5+ I'm afraid Frown

Posted: Dec 18, 2016 at 7:02 Quote
Beautiful bike and a good build. Looks like a Reba from the pics? If so that's a great fork that you can ride for a long while and you may even be able to increase the stroke to 120mm. No need for the SID IMO. The BB upgrade was probably worth it as well. I have had many SRAM PF30 BBs of various bikes and they're awful and need to be changed every year. As far as the wheelset goes I had a similar set on a Ti 29er I used to have (Mavic Crossride) and they were solid wheels under my 210lb frame. Never went out of true and were really strong. My only gripe was that they were not tubeless-ready and the internal rim width was only 19mm which is OK up to a 2.25 tire. I like to run a 2.4 up front for more grip and cushion but a 19mm wide rim is too narrow for that. If you're looking to upgrade, consider the RDO carbon seatpost which has some fore/aft give to soften the ride a bit.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032168
Mobile Version of Website