Carbon cranks?

• Previous Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2016 at 22:09 Quote
Any opinions on carbon crank vs alloy? I know my carbon bar makes a difference for trail buzz, not sure about the crank though

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 at 14:32 Quote
You *might* notice the increased stiffness say if you are a heavy weight or push huge watts at times.

they are (usually) lighter.

Of the offerings that are out there, IMO, they would have to be a great deal to justify the cost difference to alloy.

I don't know how anyone can feel buzz through any mtb part. Want to talk about motorcycles, namely street bikes, sure, but I can tell no difference with my carbon bar compared to my previous alloy and I can tell no difference between my carbon cranks and my previous alloys (but we are talking Next SLs to XTR's and the XTR's are as stiff an alu crank as will ever be made). there is however a difference on my scale for both my bike and wallet.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 11:41 Quote
I have two bikes with SRAM carbon cranks, and I like them, but I can't tell any difference between them and alloy aside from making the bikes feel lighter. I'm also a skinny guy, though, so a heavier rider might feel differently. As far as buzz goes, again, I can't tell any difference. I would say buy carbon if you run into good deals like I did, but I wouldn't spend a helluva lot more for it. The carbon crank I bought most recently I paid $220 for w/chainring as a sale item and I think it was worth it, but I wouldn't have paid much more than that.

Posted: Mar 26, 2016 at 20:35 Quote
Highly recommend Raceface Cinch; Next SL is the lightest, SixC is a bit stouter with a small weight penalty and 165mm option

Posted: Mar 28, 2016 at 5:46 Quote
Just a weight improvement really. Similar quality cranks will have the same in feel. Ie xtr and next sl.
There a tiny miniscule help for initial pedal bursts as there lighter but nothing worth paying for.
Love my sixc carbon cranks as Nothing is as light or stiff but are blatant bling and weight weenieing more than anything else

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 12:22 Quote
To save me starting a new post, has anyone taken a heavy hit on their carbon cranks? I managed to bend my Sram hollow alloy ones in an amusing incident a few weeks back... I'm curious if carbon cranks would be able to take more abuse?

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 13:06 Quote
Maxxxxxx wrote:
To save me starting a new post, has anyone taken a heavy hit on their carbon cranks? I managed to bend my Sram hollow alloy ones in an amusing incident a few weeks back... I'm curious if carbon cranks would be able to take more abuse?

Each crash is it's own distinct animal and no two are the same. Everything fails under the right circumstances. The only real difference in this case between carbon and aluminum is failure mode. Aluminum bends. Carbon cracks. Beyond that it's all bullshit speculation which will last you longer.

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 9:43 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Maxxxxxx wrote:

Each crash is it's own distinct animal and no two are the same. Everything fails under the right circumstances. The only real difference in this case between carbon and aluminum is failure mode. Aluminum bends. Carbon cracks. Beyond that it's all bullshit speculation which will last you longer.

True I was kind of expecting that answer, I've seen testing videos on carbon vs alloy frames and the carbon versions always seem to take more weight/stress before failure, I was just interested to see if this would be the case with cranks too. Also how do carbon cranks take rock strikes, can catching them on a sharp rocks cause major cracks/damage?...

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 10:05 Quote
Maxxxxxx wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Maxxxxxx wrote:

True I was kind of expecting that answer, I've seen testing videos on carbon vs alloy frames and the carbon versions always seem to take more weight/stress before failure, I was just interested to see if this would be the case with cranks too. Also how do carbon cranks take rock strikes, can catching them on a sharp rocks cause major cracks/damage?...

With rock strikes, like anything else, it's a crap shoot. Each one is different. Having said that, you can gouge a fair amount of a gash into an aluminum crank and it just looks ugly as hell. I'd trust carbon more than aluminum on load handling capacity and stiffness, but in terms of impact WITH a significant mechanical gouging component I'd expect aluminum to tolerate more abuse.

Posted: Aug 3, 2017 at 12:55 Quote
Appreciate the input, thanks

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 5:24 Quote
Maxxxxxx wrote:

I believe it depends on the traits of the specific carbon build/style used in the cranks and their design. I have a Carbon Truvativ Crankset that the end of the crank arms have been beaten to hell. They're still running strong despite me bashing them into every rock I can find.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ends have alloy inserts or something like that.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 4:26 Quote
My FSA K Force carbons are HUAGE Pieces of carbon that I very much doubt will damage much in event of a rock interface.

Pair them to a ceramic bb and I'm 99% sure you'll realise a much smoother friction free movement and better rotation of cranks with efficiency.

Whether you chokse to take advantage of this is well upto you.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 12:10 Quote
titaniumtit wrote:
My FSA K Force carbons are HUAGE Pieces of carbon that I very much doubt will damage much in event of a rock interface.

Pair them to a ceramic bb and I'm 99% sure you'll realise a much smoother friction free movement and better rotation of cranks with efficiency.

Whether you chokse to take advantage of this is well upto you.

I went carbon in the end, found a good deal on some raceface sixc cranks. They certainly look well made and burly so I look forward to putting them through their paces. I've read about ceramic bb elsewhere and they just sound like an expensive gimmick to be honest, I've got a Nicolai G16 I'm building up so I'm gonna stick with a trusty Hope stainless BB and save myself a £100+

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 12:11 Quote
Yes expensive but worth it. Even I can tell the difference.

But whatever works for you.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 18:26 Quote
Carbon cranks??? Yes, very worth it in my books. I have bashed many sets now. I have never had one "Explode" on me.

At Trestle park with the SR SUNTOUR guys. 3 turns into trestle dh and I blew a rock up with my pedal at speed. Destroyed the pedal crank arm and left chain stay.

A boulder strike on the non-drive side of my Demo. My left foot is my trail foot. I went slightly off line and as a result, destroyed a pedal spindle, stripped pedal treads and crank insert treads. Pedal insert was pulled out and the crank arm flexed inboard so much, it hit my chain stay creating the huge dent. Zero cracks or damage can be seen to the crank arm. I did do a lap on the bike afterwards, no flex but I couldn't stand the bent pedal. Replacement parts are ordered. Carbon Demo I, 2015

Chainstay flex causing chainring rub

Here you can see my aluminum rear triangle is flexing under sprints causing my chainring to rub the chainstay. The carbon cranks are holding great! Front triangle is carbon. It's a carbon enduro expert 2015.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038872
Mobile Version of Website