Phoenix thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Phoenix thread
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2016 at 2:41 Quote
Be good to have a thread for Phoenix DH riders....

Anyone know the BB being used in the build kit?

Has anyone built a frame up? Which BB and size spindle did you use?

Cheers

Posted: May 27, 2016 at 23:09 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Be good to have a thread for Phoenix DH riders....

Anyone know the BB being used in the build kit?

Has anyone built a frame up? Which BB and size spindle did you use?

Cheers

I built up a frame! I'll post pictures once there is some decent light outside. The bb that is included in the frame set is a Shimano bb with a 24mm spindle. It does not come pressed in. I decided to run some SixC cranks so I had to buy a 30mm spindle Race Face bb.

Posted: May 28, 2016 at 21:58 Quote
Here she is! My first dh bike.
photo

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 17:49 Quote
Desertrat3511 wrote:
photo

Sweet buddy...

How you getting on with Sixc cranks and Bb?

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 22:26 Quote
Desertrat3511 wrote:
photo

Absolutely gorgeous bike. I wonder about selling my Nomad and just building this as my do it all bike. Dropper post.... hmmm.

Weight? I would build it the exact same way.

Posted: May 31, 2016 at 22:29 Quote
nolson2 wrote:
Desertrat3511 wrote:
photo

Absolutely gorgeous bike. I wonder about selling my Nomad and just building this as my do it all bike. Dropper post.... hmmm.

Thanks man! I haven't weighed it yet but my guess is around the mid to low 30s. I was able to climb this guy up my local trail bike trails so if you set it up with a dropper and maybe an 11 speed cassette you would be set!

Posted: Jun 3, 2016 at 20:09 Quote
what wheelset is that?

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 3:58 Quote
Desertrat3511 wrote:
nolson2 wrote:
Desertrat3511 wrote:
photo

Thanks man! I haven't weighed it yet but my guess is around the mid to low 30s. I was able to climb this guy up my local trail bike trails so if you set it up with a dropper and maybe an 11 speed cassette you would be set!

Have you modified the x2 with a climb lever or did climb well without? If without what sag are you running?

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 19:32 Quote
nolson2 wrote:
what wheelset is that?
I built my own wheelset. It is DT Swiss 570 rims on Hope Pro 4s with dt comp spokes and orange dt nipples.

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 19:40 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Desertrat3511 wrote:
nolson2 wrote:

Have you modified the x2 with a climb lever or did climb well without? If without what sag are you running?

I haven't put the climb switch on yet. The bike climbed pretty well for a DH bike honestly. The main problem I was running into was I needed a dropper to get my seat higher and my gear ratio was horrible for climbing. If you built this with a dropper, an 11 speed drive train and throw on that climb switch it would be pretty sweet. The only reason I didn't do that was I am fortunate enough to have two bikes so this was my DH specific rig.

Posted: Jun 4, 2016 at 20:10 Quote
You're about to convince me to go be an knucklehead, sell my Nomad, and build this as my "do it all"....

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 0:52 Quote
I was surprised how well I could get a DH rig to climb last year in the Alps.....I had a Tuesday with bos void shock and a 7'speed cassette.....I think it's the nature of the suspension that matters which bodes well for the Phoenix...

Not sure it would ever make an all rounder with that seat angle but it does have much wider possibilities than a normal DH rig. Certainly pedalling up push up tracks looks a runner for me that Normally wouldn't tup

Posted: Jun 5, 2016 at 20:29 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
I was surprised how well I could get a DH rig to climb last year in the Alps.....I had a Tuesday with bos void shock and a 7'speed cassette.....I think it's the nature of the suspension that matters which bodes well for the Phoenix...

Not sure it would ever make an all rounder with that seat angle but it does have much wider possibilities than a normal DH rig. Certainly pedalling up push up tracks looks a runner for me that Normally wouldn't tup

I agree the seat angle might be a bit slack. Plus the bike is freakin long so if you ride some tighter trails it might be a little tricky on low speed techy corners. The Nomad is pretty sweet though maybe wait a few months I have a hunch a new nomad frame with brand new geometry might drop......

Posted: Jun 12, 2016 at 4:24 Quote
@desertrat

Just about to build my frame up......Did you find the fork installation straightforward? Any tips?
Cheers

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 9:07 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
@desertrat

Just about to build my frame up......Did you find the fork installation straightforward? Any tips?
Cheers

Ya it was fairly easy. The only think you gotta think about is where you want your crowns on your stanchions. For me it was fairly easy because I wanted them as tall as I could get them. I am lucky enough to have a metal band saw so cutting the fork was pretty easy. It was just a little scary because I had to sneak the blade in between my stanchions. I was able to hit the star nut in with a long top cap screw and a hammer but that is kinda easy to mess up. You can have a bike shop do it they have a special tool that makes sure it goes in perfectly straight and takes about 5 seconds.

Assuming you have a 40 here is a good guide about the spacing of everything when installing the fork:

http://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/010/eng/Content/Forks/40/40withDMS_Installation.html

Here is the tool we use at bike shops if you want to buy it yourself:

http://www.parktool.com/product/deluxe-threadless-nut-setter-tns-4?category=Frame%20&%20Fork

Good luck man! Post some pictures!!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015350
Mobile Version of Website