Phoenix thread

PB Forum :: Pivot Cycles
Phoenix thread
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 23:12 Quote
norfiril wrote:
Good luck mate.

In May (more or less) the new Phoenix 29 will be announced. What do you think? 27.5 or 29?

If your a racer with enough skills and tall enough then I guess a 29er is an option, for everything and everyone else 27.5 looks the way to go

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
bike2850 wrote:
hello, i might be getting a phoenix frame which im stoked on. there is a used frame that im looking at, is there anything to look out for like bearing life or anything like that? also im five foot ten so i was thinking a medium is what i need. is there anything about the sizing that would push me to a large or will the medium work?
thanks

I would say the medium will work but you know, new geometries have longer reach. If you can try before buying would be great.

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
mizzter-b wrote:
EsPeGe wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
Just a thought........It won’t be the same as coil......but you could try taking the air volume spacers out to reduce the ramp up?

That's something that didn't occur to me but a damn good idea. That's the first thing I'm going to try when I get home. It will certainly be the cheapest option to try!!!!

Cheers man.

tup

How did you get on?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 15:27 Quote
norfiril wrote:
bike2850 wrote:
hello, i might be getting a phoenix frame which im stoked on. there is a used frame that im looking at, is there anything to look out for like bearing life or anything like that? also im five foot ten so i was thinking a medium is what i need. is there anything about the sizing that would push me to a large or will the medium work?
thanks

I would say the medium will work but you know, new geometries have longer reach. If you can try before buying would be great.

I am around 5 10 (177cm) and have a medium. I love how it handles both - rough and more flowy Bikepark tracks. the only thing id change is a longer reach. but this is a general feeling i have lately. next bike will be L for me but i got kinda longer upper body or arms..at least it feels that way. but wheelbase considered playfulness to highspeed stability ratio of this size is spot on for me.

as for the coil or air spring...
id not put a coil shock on. the kinematics (quite linear)are just not really made for it. i have all volume spacers in the fox x2 and need to set the sag between 25-28% in order not to use too much travel all the time. and not to pedal slam it too often in rock gardens. it is a little hard to figure your personal setting but once you come close to the optimum the bike feels awesome with the air shock. start from the pivot recommended settings and work your way up from there...mine are a bit different than pivot recommends... if you wanna now more, ask specific question. coming from an Aurum with a cane creek double barrel coil. I know what you mean but in high speed i don't realise that much of a difference. everything is always a compromise anyway. as it is in size, coil/ air or which girl you choose for you future live.
cheers
i am not even close to the speed of a WC rider but i am ok good /fast on the bike i guess. hitting quite big jumps...just so you get an idea of where i am.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 0:21 Quote
mizzter-b wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
EsPeGe wrote:

That's something that didn't occur to me but a damn good idea. That's the first thing I'm going to try when I get home. It will certainly be the cheapest option to try!!!!

Cheers man.

tup

How did you get on?

Hey mate haven't had a lot of time on it to know for sure but it does feel heaps better. Both forks and shocks had 4 volume spacers each in them which surprised me. I thought they came with 2. So I've ripped 2 out of each will test and adjust as necessary. I think I'll go back to factory settings for rebound and compression first so that I start from a known point. I've got a DH race at the end of the month with 2 full days of riding the trail beforehand so I'll be able to give it plenty of attention. I'll report back after that.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 0:25 Quote
C
EsPeGe wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:
mizzter-b wrote:

tup

How did you get on?

Hey mate haven't had a lot of time on it to know for sure but it does feel heaps better. Both forks and shocks had 4 volume spacers each in them which surprised me. I thought they came with 2. So I've ripped 2 out of each will test and adjust as necessary. I think I'll go back to factory settings for rebound and compression first so that I start from a known point. I've got a DH race at the end of the month with 2 full days of riding the trail beforehand so I'll be able to give it plenty of attention. I'll report back after that.

tup

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015470
Mobile Version of Website