Downhill Hardtail

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Downhill Hardtail
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 29, 2008 at 23:22 Quote
I was wondering what kind of upgrades i should put on this bike
photo

to make it more downhill ready. No one say that i should have bought a downhill bike because i can't afford one and i don't want to change the frame so none of that please.

Thanks for your help Chris

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 1:31 Quote
I would say put on a chain device, don't bother with the cheap DMR one cos they're really crap, they don't work at all. Save up and get a E13 or a MRP or make your own out of a block of self-lubing plastic (it works a treat).

Other than that, I think it would be fine for dh as long as you aren't hucking massive stuff.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 1:53 Quote
Frist off get some new gearing, something more DH oriented. Get a nice set of 8" disk (hydraulic of course) Possibly a new, solid DH saddle, not sure what your running, but you might need some new tires, depending on the terrain. Get rid of the front derailer and slap on a chainguide, you'll need it. You might want to get a shorter stem to. That is about all that i can see with this pic. Anybody have anything else??

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 2:11 Quote
snook wrote:
I would say put on a chain device, don't bother with the cheap DMR one cos they're really crap, they don't work at all. Save up and get a E13 or a MRP or make your own out of a block of self-lubing plastic (it works a treat).

Other than that, I think it would be fine for dh as long as you aren't hucking massive stuff.

My Truvativ Box Guide with a bottom roller works well 4 me

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
i am his maye and this is the spec

FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, All Mountain design, double-butted ORE DT/TT, forged/releived HT, BB shell and yoke, disc only, forged drop outs w/ replaceable 98954020 derailleur hanger

FORK Marzocchi AM4, 130mm, 32mm alloy stanchions, alloy steerer, coil spring w/ air assist, rebound adjustment, magnesium lowers, standard axle dropout

HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless

STEM Truvativ XR, forged alloy, 31.8mm, 5 degree rise

HANDLEBARS Alloy OS, 640mm wide, 45mm rise, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep

TAPE / GRIPS Specialized Enduro, dual density, Kraton

FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, 7" G2 Clean Sweep rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic

FRONT DERAILLEUR SRAM X-7

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-9, mid cage

SHIFT LEVERS SRAM SX-5 9-speed trigger

CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 11-34t

CHAIN SRAM PC-951, 1/2" x 3/32" w/ Power Link

CRANKSET Truvativ Blaze AM, forged 6066, Howitzer spline

CHAINRINGS 36A/24S w/ poly bash guard

BOTTOM BRACKET Howitzer XR lite, M15 bolts, external bearing design, 73mm shell for 50mm chainline

PEDALS 50 50 x

RIMS Specialized/Alex P.Disc 26 double wall disc w/ eyelets

FRONT HUB Specialized Hi Lo disc, 36h, CNC flange and disc mount, QR

REAR HUB Shimano FH-M475L, cassette, disc, 36h, QR

SPOKES 1.8mm (15g) stainless, black

FRONT TIRE Specialized Resolution Pro, 26x2.3", 60TPI, DC, aramid bead

REAR TIRE Specialized Resolution Pro, 26x2.3", 60TPI, DC, aramid bead

TUBES Specialized schraeder valve

SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry, ATB

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
i would get some trail pimps first off, a new shorter stem, pedals if you need them, 8' rotors front and rear since you alredy have the juiceys, tires if you need them i like maxxis, thats about it i guess but you in the end decide what you like not us

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 20:39 Quote
Get a shorter stem and some bigger DH tires. The extra size in the tires will take the edge out some bumps since its a hardtail.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 20:58 Quote
get some stickers. they'll add an extra 3mph to your topspeed easy.

Posted: Jan 31, 2008 at 4:27 Quote
what about a duel ring chain guide will that be ok instead of a single ring one

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
well is that ok or is a single ring one better

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
if you want a chain guide go with mrp the best by far i would say the mini me for a bike like yours and costs a little less as well

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
get a totem or something more than 150mm other wise get a chain guide a x9 mid cage rear derialer and xo shifters

Posted: Feb 1, 2008 at 14:54 Quote
you dont have to buy a DH bike to go DH lol an all mountain hardtail or any hardtail does the trick aslong as front susp is well over 100mm or you'll bottom out on the smallest of drops... get a nice chunky seat to pad ur arse haha like my bike

photo

i use this for downhill... you dont have to have a DH bike you jst gota be slightly more nuts to do what full susp guys do but on a hardtail =)... you just tend to feel a hell of a lot more in the rear end

Posted: Feb 2, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
Haarlem wrote:
you dont have to buy a DH bike to go DH lol an all mountain hardtail or any hardtail does the trick aslong as front susp is well over 100mm

thats awesome. do you race? i would love to see you shaming the odd travel junky

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013263
Mobile Version of Website