Post your 4X bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your 4X bikes
Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 15:45 Quote
I was just coming on here to ask how suitable a Commencal Absolut frame would be for 4x (the DJ model not the 4x specific one). Sick looking Commie mate tup

Mine is currently built as a rigid street bike but it's not really something I'll use like that so I was considering another 4x rig.

Build plan would basically involve a lot of the parts I have already.

Commencal Absolut frame
Marzocchi 4X RC3 forks
Ryde EDGE rims (on DMR Short block rear hub, don't know about the front yet)
Wake stem with Renthal bars
XT crankset
1x6 setup (maybe my GX clutch setup off my trail bike when I go 1x11?)
SLX brakes (when I upgrade my Orange)

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

I haven't even really looked at the world of 4x properly in years because I got sidetracked with the crazy world of Downhill, then Enduro. Now 29'ers. The fads are starting to fade though. Want something simple and fun!

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 15:50 Quote
Sounds good, I love my 6speed setup but, in all honesty I only use three on most 4X tracks. Plus I I'm a commy fan boy Smile

That absolute looks sick, looks so fast!!

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 17:14 Quote
Hi PB 4X mob.

I'm after some advise/suggestions....

I've just received a Yeti 4X frame:
photo

May plan thus far is to build it up using the build from my Yeti DJ:
photo

I think the 140mm forks would be better on the DS 4X.

I have on the way a set of 100mm Fox 831 to use on the DJ build, which I think should be a single speed.

Just want some advise suggestions on both builds, ie for the DJ single speed, wheel sets etc.

Oh, thinking of updating the cockpit of both with 760 wide Renthal 35mm diameter maybe a 40mm riser...

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 22:56 Quote
I know it's probably not the greatest idea in the world..... But the day I put my Carbon Roval wheels on my yeti DJ spoiled me forever... So light and snappy.

Otherwise my 35mm carbon bar is my next favorite thing on it.. I am running a Pike DJ at 120mm and happy with it

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 23:32 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I know it's probably not the greatest idea in the world..... But the day I put my Carbon Roval wheels on my yeti DJ spoiled me forever... So light and snappy.

Otherwise my 35mm carbon bar is my next favorite thing on it.. I am running a Pike DJ at 120mm and happy with it

On the DJ the 140mm travel (plus the 20mm extra wasted stanchions length) it does feel slightly over forked, but I think this will be less of an issue on the 4X.

I'd like to keep the cost of the Wheel set to under $1000 AUD. ~$700-800USD

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 7:15 Quote
Here my 4X bike. I love it. It's light and snappy and corners unbelievably well. It's a shame they never really produced this thing because they absolutely nailed it. 23.69 pounds as pictured.

photo

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 8:22 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Here my 4X bike. I love it. It's light and snappy and corners unbelievably well. It's a shame they never really produced this thing because they absolutely nailed it. 23.69 pounds as pictured.

photo

This is definitely the one that was the best of all the different models they did, the newer ones were not as good

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 17:28 Quote
So my 4x plan is beginning to change? Improve? Already. Talking to people and putting the seeds of deals into play.

Possible new spec.

Mongoose Nugget full squish frame
Marzocchi 55 MicroSwitch Ti @120mm (may stick my spare RC3 cartridge in?)
Sun Ringle Inferno rims (wider than my edge's)
Raceface Chester cranks + Superstar pedals

Oh yes, i should make a little money to go towards the gearing doing this change. I completely expect the build plan to change again before I'm done. But I will have some form of 4x bike in the coming weeks.

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 22:15 Quote
Those zocchi's Ti coil? I have the micro switch air an thinking of a coil conversion

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 2:39 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Those zocchi's Ti coil? I have the micro switch air an thinking of a coil conversion

My RC3 55 is definitely Ti coil. I believe the MicroSwitch has a Ti one is as well. My 4x RC3 is not Ti though sadly, they didn't offer one as far as I know.

You ever need Zocchi parts hit me up, I have most parts you could ever need.

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 3:17 Quote
Sweet! I got a 2012 WC4X (from a zocchi team rider) sitting here that needs an upper change due to sctrached stanchions . Couldnt get the 4X upper but, got a DJ1 upper as I was assured it would work. Windwave wanted £280 up front before they would even order!! so got the DJ from OZ for $30!! turned oot to be £60 with postage an dutyJust haven't got round to doing it yet as I gotta find the £ to get the lowers re'sprayed

Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 3:48 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
Sweet! I got a 2012 WC4X (from a zocchi team rider) sitting here that needs an upper change due to sctrached stanchions . Couldnt get the 4X upper but, got a DJ1 upper as I was assured it would work. Windwave wanted £280 up front before they would even order!! so got the DJ from OZ for $30!! turned oot to be £60 with postage an dutyJust haven't got round to doing it yet as I gotta find the £ to get the lowers re'sprayed

Yeah. Hell even an old Drop off or 44/33 set of uppers would have worked. The great thing about Marzocchi is most of them are fully interchangeable with each other. But I know the pain of Windwave prices too, hence why I tend to buy another fork secondhand if I'm in need of spare parts, just cheaper that way.

Interestingly as well, Rockshox Argyle, Revelation, Tora I believe? And old style Pike uppers are compatible.

Fox 32 are too for that matter but I believe for some Zocchi cartridges you have to rethread the cartridge cap to fit the Fox CSU.

In an ideal world I would have an RC3 4X cartridge with a shim stack conversion, titanium coil (from a 44 RC3Ti, the only fork from Marzo with a 32mm Ti Spring if I remember right) Fox 32 Kashima uppers with a 1 1/8 steerer and the magnesium lowers of a Marzocchi Corsa Superleggera. Light, strong, kashima, torsionally stiff and very easy to identify if stolen! lol

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 at 3:23 Quote
Live stream for Worlds will be on here later
https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

20:45 CET (Central European Time)
19:45 GMT / UCT (Greenwich Mean Time / Coordinated Universal Time)
11:45 PDT (Pacific Daylight Time)
14:45 EDT (Eastern Daylight Time)
[Reply]

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 10:01 Quote
Hi,
I've just started to get into 4X and the main area I ride is Chicksands Bike Park UK. Being ridding on Maxxis Holy Rollers but get no grip. I wondered if any one had any recommendations for good tyres who have rode at Chicksands as the Holy Rollers don't seem to cut it on the sandy ground.
Thanks

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 at 10:04 Quote
Racing Ralph's, larsens, square block8's
Maybe a nobby nick or similar up front for when it's loose

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023265
Mobile Version of Website