Post your 4X bikes

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post your 4X bikes
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 0:55 Quote
m4ggins wrote:
Yeah it's pretty steep. There's another meta 4x for £350. Unfortunately they're the older model - I'm looking for the 2013-14 one...

May have found an SX, but keep sending them my way if you spot any!

Seems a little odd that manufacturers have completely abandoned this market. Would kill for a modernized 26" 100mm travel fun bike... Suppose everything has gotta be long slack and wagon wheels these days.

Cheers

Seems like the modern equivalent of an old 26" 4x frame are things like the nukeproof reactor & SC 5010... basically just taking a short travel trail bile with 27" wheels and trying to make it into a more playful version.

Would love to have a ride on a reactor, looks like a decent option if you can set it up right!

Posted: Jul 5, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
m4ggins wrote:
Yeah it's pretty steep. There's another meta 4x for £350. Unfortunately they're the older model - I'm looking for the 2013-14 one...

May have found an SX, but keep sending them my way if you spot any!

Seems a little odd that manufacturers have completely abandoned this market. Would kill for a modernized 26" 100mm travel fun bike... Suppose everything has gotta be long slack and wagon wheels these days.

Cheers

Seems like the modern equivalent of an old 26" 4x frame are things like the nukeproof reactor & SC 5010... basically just taking a short travel trail bile with 27" wheels and trying to make it into a more playful version.

Would love to have a ride on a reactor, looks like a decent option if you can set it up right!

Yeah, I currently own a 5010 in a smaller size than I ideally should and I love it for throwing around and get on with it better than anyone of the 150mm+ travel bikes I've owned. But then comparing the 5010 to my Saracen ALX - you just can't beat 26" wheels for fun - albeit a chaotic on the rough stuff. Hoping the old SX is the magic in-between...

I didn't realise they did a Reactor in 27.5" - looks like a blast.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
Anyone got some recommendations for lighter forks got coil argyles atm

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 15:22 Quote
ginged26dj wrote:

Anything air based really, some inspiration below

Rockshox: argyle etc, Reba, lowered rev, pike dj, lowered pike
Marzocchi: DJ, slope
Fox: 32s, 34, 36 (lowered)
Suntour forks are pretty cheap and the higher end suntours are pretty good and super easy to lower & get spare parts

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 15:35 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
ginged26dj wrote:

Suntour forks are pretty cheap and the higher end suntours are pretty good and super easy to lower & get spare parts

Pike DJ and Zocchi DJ are going to need a tapered head tube.

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
ginged26dj wrote:

Not really, fox 32 series air possibly?

Your only going to lose some weight from coil to air or a less beefy chassis.

I say forget about the weight, its minor unless your a serious racer

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 21:21 Quote
Manitou circus are light without going into pike,bomber, fox £££

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 22:14 Quote
Thanks to all of your suggestions I do prefer a lighter bike in general as I'm skinny and have bk problems so a I lighter build with going to mad I can list my build if you like guys

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 22:16 Quote
This is my build

Nukeproof snap 4x
Rockshox argyle forks with rebound and the stiff spring
Brand new sram gx shifter with matchmaker clamp
Sram gx short cage rear mech
Brand new cassette and chain
Brand new gear cable
Halo freedom disc front rim nukeproof hub all straight and true
Unknown back wheel all straight and true
Full nukeproof finishing kit so bars,stem,seat,seatpost,front hub,seat clamp
Truvativ ruktion cranks bb and chainguide
Shimano saint pedals
Avid elixir 3 brakes
Proper bike co grips
IRC missile 2.25 front tyre old but gold
Continental raceking 2.2 rear tyre

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 0:23 Quote
seraph wrote:
Joebohobo wrote:
ginged26dj wrote:

Yep, did I miss the memo about it having to be straight steerer? My bad

Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
Joebohobo wrote:
seraph wrote:
Joebohobo wrote:

Yep, did I miss the memo about it having to be straight steerer? My bad

He has an Argyle, I assumed he had an older bike with a straight head tube.

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 22:49 Quote
Dude, ruktions? Before you go circus expert and lose over a lb of fork weight, swap that out. Find a used, old 104 BCD XT setup and keep your old chainring. Should only cost about 100 and overall you'll end up dropping a ton of weight in two places you really feel it. Rotating crank weight can really bog down a bike, especially when hopping/taking off from a lip. Same with fork weight. Circus expert is the standard fork in most MTB indoor parks. Rays used them almost exclusively for years. Chose the cheap, good setup. Get over the reverse arch, it's actually cool. Relace your hubs to lighter rims if you're not too aggressive, and find lighter tires. All that and your bike will feel much, much better overall. I've built over 20 DJ/Street bikes over the years, Ruktions are indestructible but overall the worst possible cranks for a MTB. Look at the numbers
Edit
Seriously not trolling you, I'm just one of the old, nerdy, weight weenie veterans on this board and I just see so much opportunity here. Always wanted to try a snap, the geo looks decent for DJ, and only really DJ, but still

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 21:58 Quote
Here is my Absolut. I moved across some of the parts from my Nukeproof Snap, and treated myself to a few new ones. Absolutely in love with this bike and how it rides, the longer front end and shorter rear end is great for it's main purpose. Purely a pump track bike these days.

Full spec list here

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/Big-Dos,42969/setup,44183?scope=newest&query=commencal&cat=Bike+Check

Posted: Jul 20, 2021 at 7:28 Quote
Well I dont mind saying Hayden...that is bloody sensational.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011310
Mobile Version of Website